I turned down donuts

Options
2»

Replies

• noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I work in a place where there are donuts anywhere from once to twice every week. Plus cupcakes, cookies and whatever other goodies people make. Yes...every week. I turn them down each time. I am beginning to wonder if they think I'm a food snob. LOL. I'd rather invest those calories in something way more filling.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Excellent! Remember.....there will ALWAYS be a donut you can get....but you only have one life - save your splurge for when you REALLY want a donut, not because it's THERE! Good job.

This! I always get annoyed when people get all snarky and are like, "You should just eat the donut." If you really want the donut, then yeah, find a way to make it work. But most of the times in these situations, it's just because they're in your face. I'll mindlessly eat pretty much anything if it's right in front of me. Learning to say no in those situations is really empowering.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    That is a success story! Good for you.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Donuts are my weakness in life.... seriously. Carb covered with sugar. Dream food right there.... Good for you for avoiding temptation.
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Of course you can fit a donut into your day, but the problem is if you simply ADD a donut, youre simply adding fat.
    Since my office went on a donut kick, one very thin coworker of mine has put on 30 pounds.....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    Excellent! Remember.....there will ALWAYS be a donut you can get....but you only have one life - save your splurge for when you REALLY want a donut, not because it's THERE! Good job.

This! I always get annoyed when people get all snarky and are like, "You should just eat the donut." If you really want the donut, then yeah, find a way to make it work. But most of the times in these situations, it's just because they're in your face. I'll mindlessly eat pretty much anything if it's right in front of me. Learning to say no in those situations is really empowering.

I find the problem with this is when you don't know when it's coming.

We have a staff meeting each week- or every other week- and typically it's doughnuts or bagels.

I can work around them- and I have them regularly in my schedule.
    What I don't deal well with is when they randomly pop up- it's when you can plan or not plan that makes or breaks IIFYM situation typically.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Should have sent some my wayyyyy!!
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

We have a staff meeting each week- or every other week- and typically it's doughnuts or bagels.

What I don't deal well with is when they randomly pop up- it's when you can plan or not plan that makes or breaks IIFYM situation typically.

Yes! Exactly. I never know when someone's going to show up with a big box of donuts or cookies or cinnamon rolls or cake bites... I'm the receptionist at my company and any time anyone walks in with something like that I give them the stink eye.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I am shocked that there arent any IIFYMers in here saying to fit the donut into your calories. I think this story is a true testament that some people dont view foods as being bad or what not....its just those great tasting foods are triggers for people, like myself. This is why we have to supplement for "healthier" things to train our minds to think healthier.

Good job on not eating the donut!

I follow IIFYM and when I say "make it fit", I mean "if you really want it, you can have it, you just have to work to make it fit". I don't mean "it's there, you should eat it".

There are plenty of things I've cut out of my diet because making them fit just isn't worth it to me. Donuts are one of those things. So is crappy chocolate. And kolaches.

OP, good for you for making the right choice for your needs.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    2BaNewMe2 wrote: »
    Well done!!! I too have a coworker that loves the donuts, she brought some in today. I walked up to the box, opened it, took a whiff and closed it back. Went to the lunchroom and made my turkey bacon, egg on sugar free whole grain bread. So yes, great victory, I know how it is.

I like to just look at the donut box also!! I don't take them, even though they usually often fabulous. I too eat the egg/turkey bacon or sausage/sandwich thin and am happier doing it. I'd probably be really hungry a little while after eating a donut and the egg sandwich keeps me full longer. I agree with the others on how hard it is to resist all the goodies brought in to the office, especially when your co-workers made fantastic homemade treats!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I say bravo! It is so hard in that situation! Sometimes I find the smelling of it as satisfying as the eating when there is a particular thing I cannot have that day. I have done it with my kids snacks at times lol! And I always feel victorious when I resist! Donut 400 calories no id rather eat something more filling.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    That's great! I understand how hard it can be. I was working on a project a little while ago where they celebrated everyone's birthday with cake, and there were, like, forty or fifty people working in that office. It's easy to say "it's only once per week, what damage will it do?" but these were HUGE slices of mud cake, so the answer was "about 600cal of damage", which is a hell of a lot of time at the gym. I was able to decide that it wasn't worth the calories and recognise that I didn't really want it badly enough and that there would always be more cake available in my future. And exercising my willpower against a strong temptation every week actually did me a lot of favours in the long run :smile:
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I so agree! It isn't the brownies, cookies, donuts or other crap that I know will be at our weekly Wednesday meetings, it's the unexpected. It's the vendor who says hey I'll buy lunch and now I have to change gears and find something on the menu that I can have. I appreciate the thought, I really do but I plan my day of food ahead of time. Now this week it worked out because the place this vendor got us lunch from had an awesome salad with chicken and feta...yum! I ended up saying no croutons, light on the feta and dressing on the side but that's just how I roll :)

• MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    i had the new Tim Horton's nutella hazelnut donut the other day...

soooooooo goooooooood!
  • OlleyThorpe0
    OlleyThorpe0 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well done, check out my Instagram for fitness tips tricks and motivation & my personal fitness journey....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!