bodyweight in protein vs cardio

I usually walk to my gym which is 80min back and forth, I keep my protein at 1g x my bodyweight, After i put my cardio into my diet it ups my protein intake aswell as carbs and fat macros, should I hit my protein macros after cardio example : 150g p - after cardio 180g. Im tryng to maintain as much muscle.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    MFP calculates your recommend protein grams by your chosen macro % and your overall calories for the day.

So for example, if your calorie goal is 2000, and you want 25% protein, it will calculate 500 calories from protein = ~125 g of protein.

When you exercise and log (for example) 500 calories of exercise, now your calorie goal is 2500 x 25% = 625 calories from protein or ~156 g of protein.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You do not need to increase it just to hit the ratios
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    You'd have to increase it to hit the ratios if you eat back the calories.

Realistically, that's a problem with using the ratios.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member

That's not what she's asking.
    Her 150 g of protein is enough to maintain muscle. She doesn't need to up it to 180 just cause mfp adds more. Which agrees with your assertion of the problem of macro % the way mfp does it
  • andrew125741
    andrew125741 Posts: 6 Member
    Im at 151 so my protein intake is 151g protein, after my cardio it bumps to 180g should I intake 180g P or should i stay at 151g protein and i can put more carbs instead
  • andrew125741
    Im at 151 so my protein intake is 151g protein, after my cardio it bumps to 180g should I intake 180g P or should i stay at 151g protein and i can put more carbs instead
    without losing any as much muscle , thats my main concern

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Be careful with adding the exercise calories back into MFP calorie allotments. Yes, the ratios change, but your calorie allotment will be way higher than you are actually burning.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I wouldn't log the exercise, just set your calories based on the amount of activity you get and the deficit you are striving for, so you don't have to worry about it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member

That's not what she's asking.
    Her 150 g of protein is enough to maintain muscle. She doesn't need to up it to 180 just cause mfp adds more. Which agrees with your assertion of the problem of macro % the way mfp does it
    I missed the "to" in your post. We're saying the same thing.

• juggernaut1974

That's going to be controlled more by the amount and intensity of your weight training, not as much by how much protein you eat.

If your only exercise is cardio & walking to/from the gym, you're not going to be retaining much in the way of muscle.
  • andrew125741
    ceoverturf wrote: »

That's going to be controlled more by the amount and intensity of your weight training, not as much by how much protein you eat.

If your only exercise is cardio & walking to/from the gym, you're not going to be retaining much in the way of muscle.

Its already in my tdee for weight training, my question is if i stay at 151g protein will i still lose a minimal amount of muscle as much as 180g. Im already in a calorie deficit, my concern is body composition for body fat loss while retain as much muscle
  • juggernaut1974

Its already in my tdee for weight training, my question is if i stay at 151g protein will i still lose a minimal amount of muscle as much as 180g. Im already in a calorie deficit, my concern is body composition for body fat loss while retain as much muscle

And I'll repeat again...that's more a function of your training regimen than your protein intake.

A good rule of thumb is to try to get somewhere around a gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (total weight x 1-bf%). But to reiterate...eating all the protein in the world won't do a thing to retain muscle mass if you're not properly working the muscles.
  • andrew125741

And I'll repeat again...that's more a function of your training regimen than your protein intake.

A good rule of thumb is to try to get somewhere around a gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (total weight x 1-bf%). But to reiterate...eating all the protein in the world won't do a thing to retain muscle mass if you're not properly working the muscles.

I have a proper training regime, this is why i did not bring up the factor its in my tdee, Regardless on a cut everyone loses muscle mass, im tryng to figure out whats best without losing as much
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If you are aiming for 1 gram per pound of bodyweight you are going to get plenty of protein. I aim for .8 grams per pound and am confident that I am getting plenty even while eating in a deficit. I am not a fan of setting macros by percentages so I just remember my two key numbers (120 for protein, 60 for fat) and eyeball it to see if I'm meeting them or not.