Tried TRX for the first time yesterday! Anyone have results?

Options
After going to the gym and doing 95% cardio for the past 7 months I got tired with my routine and scheduled a session with a trainer. I told him that I wanted to add strength training into my routine and still have about 60 lbs left to lose. He put together a routine that about killed me, but I can't wait to do it again (as soon as it doesn't hurt to go from sitting to standing) We did squats... a lot of squats, squats with bars, squats with dumbbells, squats with kettlebells. Then we did a bunch of TRX exercises, I didn't realize how hard it was to use your own bodyweight for this. We finished with a bunch of core exercises. I am curious to see if anyone else does TRX and if you have had good results. I was always terrified of those cords hanging from the ceiling :)

Replies

• losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love TRX. Its such a good combo and real strength training workout! It built up my strength and I loved it so much I had my husband rig me a set at home that I use for quad, ham strengthening. Its great for core too. so glad you like it!
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea! We did a few exercises where I had my feet looped through the handles and I don't think that I could place them in there myself....maybe with some practice :) But If I had some at home I could yell for my husband to come and help me get my feet in there right!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    TRX by far is one of the most effective workouts and can go ANYWHERE. Outside, inside, at home, at the park, etc. Not many systems of training can say the same with a 2lb piece of equipment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I love my TRX but I don't have any good workouts other than what came with the system. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have a TRX setup in my home and I really like it. It can be a really great workout. I still mainly use the gym but the TRX is great for days I can't get there or times when I just want to run down and get some activity in.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I love my TRX but I don't have any good workouts other than what came with the system. Anyone have any suggestions?

I found a couple of apps that I used quite a bit when I was using the TRX more often. They both had lists of exercises as well as videos of how to complete them. "VT Suspension" is the one I like better but the other is "Suspension Strap Gravity Training"

• Gritty_Gal
    Gritty_Gal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer/pdf_files/Weekend_Warrior_P1M1_trx.pdf

This is the one I use. On the first day I wanted to do the whole thing in one shot - ha, ha, what a joke. I barely came out alive after one set of 6-10 reps, depending on the exercise. Since it is, what I call "a supplementary workout" for me, only once a week (as I do HIIT workouts 2x a week), I try to push myself each time I do it. After about 2 months I manage to do 2 sets of 10. So don't get discourage...
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!! Thanks!

I am going to stick with the circuit that my trainer put together for me for now. I think i'm going to start with 2 days a week and then increase it to 3 and do cardio on the alternating days. I am seriously so sore today from last night's workout that I don't think I could do it 2 days in a row. I also start a boot camp on Saturday and i'm not sure what all that involves yet. I've never done a boot camp before. I'm hoping that the variation is going to help out with my weight loss goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    BTW, while everyone talks about TRX, realize it's suspension training and that you DON'T need to spend the $200 for a pair of straps. I got a knock off that achieves the same thing for $30. WOSS makes it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ShannonKelliG
    ShannonKelliG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love trx! Love love love it! I got it set up in home now too. I've seen awesome results with it.