GOOD AB EXERCISE RECOMMENDATIONS...

anacsitham5
anacsitham5 Posts: 810 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, I got the weight thing under control. I'm only 5 pounds away from my original goal....and am thinking about tweaking it just a little. It couldn't hurt to lose another 5-10, (us gals always say that). Now that the fat is going, I need to tone up my abs. I'm not looking for a miracle. I just want to flatten them a bit. I only have a max of 20 min a day due to my two jobs and I only get about 6 hours a sleep as it is. Any suggestions on how to tame the mid section would be greatly appreciated!

My arms could use a bit of a tone up too. I would love to wear a tank top this year without thinking everyone is looking at my jiggly arms!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    I do ab pilates 1-2 times a week. I'm not ripped or anything but I def got some flat goin on.
  • falonjohle
    falonjohle Posts: 62 Member
    bump... i would really like to know too
  • lisajlb
    lisajlb Posts: 12 Member
    Hi and well done, I am only starting out but I do go to a great gym and the instructor there says the only real way is with crunches and lots of them regularly, hard work but seems to be working all be it slowly.

Hope that helps
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    bump....Ditto
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    I'm doing shred, she has you do regular crunches, reverse crunches, sideways crunches (arms behind ears knee propped on other knee and bring your elbow up to opposite knee), and bicycle crunches. After you are done with all those during the 20 min workout, your WHOLE tummy has been worked. It's awesome. I always hear your plain ole crunches don't cut it. Well, I've learned that's because it only works a small group of muscles compared to all the complex groups on your tummy. JM has you work ALL of them on shred
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Squats work well for me. I do 50 a day and keep my abs tight while squatting. Also, tighten your tummy whenever you do cardio.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Ever heard of "8 minute core" workouts? I really like them. I don't use them for my sole exercise, but they are great. They are on youtube, all of them: arms, thighs, abs, stretching, buns, pilates. Check it out.

I'll add some links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIRiw7iEq8c -- abs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DER0kVEgPuA -- arms
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2qFVD7Qhj0&feature=related -- stretch
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    The TRX is the most incredible workout I've ever done for strengthening the core. Planks and side planks are a great way to start. I also like the Gaiam DVD: Balance Ball: Core Cross Train Starring Tanja Djelevic
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    If you can get your hands on just the AB ripper disk of P90X that is a great workout for your abs..
  • redfletch
    redfletch Posts: 8
    Dont be afraid to use resistence for ab training. They are just like any other muscle and can be trained heavey. Also women should not eb afraid of weight training at all. You will not get big muscles unless you try really hard and eat liek a horse. Unless you are one of the few women that have big muscle genetics but those are very rare. Remember muscle burns fat, the more you have the easier it is to get rid of the fat.
  • llm12
    llm12 Posts: 49
    Jillian Michaels 6 Week 6 Pack and Jillian Michaels No More Twouble Zones! 6W6P is about 25 minutes including warm-up and cool down. NMTZ is longer, about 50 minutes, BUT you can do just a couple of the circuits instead of all of them. I LOVE these videos because the tone up muscles (I never knew I had a six pack under all my flab!) and help you lose weight.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Squats work well for me. I do 50 a day and keep my abs tight while squatting. Also, tighten your tummy whenever you do cardio.

I agree. When I do squats my abs hurt for days. 30 day shred can work all the muscle groups too.
  • planks.
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    planks.

YES!!!!!! PLANKS, PLANKS, PLANKS!!!! These are miracle workers! Also, push-ups. Those will help with your arms and also, if you focus on pulling in your core (can take some practice, usually helps by getting your butt and hips down in line with your shoulders and knees) they will do wonders for your abs too.

If you want to be/stay curvy, don't focus on obliques (side abs). They will give you a straighter, boxier torso.

Hope that helps!
  • zbaw
    zbaw Posts: 1
    A lot of good recommendations on here. Resistance training is a great tip. Also vary the exercises. Doing the same thing every time will have diminishing returns as time goes on.

Planks, push-up, squats, and burpees are good in that they work the abs and more.
This discussion has been closed.