Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Jump rope

2»

Replies

• goldfishgoo
    goldfishgoo Posts: 67 Member
    What are your goals with jump roping?[/quote]

@yopeeps025 ...

My goal is to find a do a good exercise. I fear the 'excess skin' that comes with weight loss. So finding something to keep at is very important to me. The bands help and are fun and they are now a daily habit. But they are not enough. I need to add to my daily routine.

I read that it was beneficial for the whole body: coordination, cardiovascular, toning, and other benefits. I can do it at home without a major expensive machine. I don't fool myself into an instant fix. Still, my body needs repair.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I jump rope 3-4 times a week- it's my warm up for all my lifting. It's wonderful.

But it does take time- I like to use music to help pace myself- and I usually can talk myself through just one song- oh this is a good song- keep going- do this song- and I just add more songs to my jump roping.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited April 2015
    What are your goals with jump roping?
    @yopeeps025 ...

My goal is to find a do a good exercise. I fear the 'excess skin' that comes with weight loss. So finding something to keep at is very important to me. The bands help and are fun and they are now a daily habit. But they are not enough. I need to add to my daily routine.

I read that it was beneficial for the whole body: coordination, cardiovascular, toning, and other benefits. I can do it at home without a major expensive machine. I don't fool myself into an instant fix. Still, my body needs repair.

I think we because I am included too that the fear of excess skin we cannot really have because it might not happen. It is almost something we really cannot control. It genetics.
  • goldfishgoo
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    @yopeeps025 ...

I think we because I am included too that the fear of excess skin we cannot really have because it might not happen. It is almost something we really cannot control. It genetics.

Darn those genes!!! :s You are right on that one! I know I'm reaching here. But, hey, it's getting me off the couch at least. So there is another reason to buy less expensive exercise help. I gotta save for that excess skin removal! ;) I'm kidding.

• SonjaK14
    SonjaK14 Posts: 3 Member
    The more you do them the easier they become.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Yes it gets easier. Are you just jump roping or is this part of a larger workout?

I include jump rope in my gym routine as HIIT. Each workout I pick an exercise to super set with jump rope (i.e. triceps extension, lateral raise, db lunges, push-ups) and then go from one to the other (with as little rest as possible) for 4 sets. When I started I could only go for a minute of jump rope at a time, with maybe a minute of rest between. Over the past 18 months I've worked up to 2 min 45 seconds of jump rope (hitting somewhere between 300-450 jumps). The added element doing it this way is whatever body part you're working on for that day (i.e. shoulders, chest, legs) really gets punished (in a good way).

I use a custom speed rope from Rogue. The best advice I can give, if you're going to really incorporate jump rope in your routine, is to get a good rope that is the proper length. I tried a few other brands before settling on the Rogue, and currently have two different ropes of varying weight to switch between.
  • yopeeps025
    sm4astan wrote: »
    Yes it gets easier. Are you just jump roping or is this part of a larger workout?

I include jump rope in my gym routine as HIIT. Each workout I pick an exercise to super set with jump rope (i.e. triceps extension, lateral raise, db lunges, push-ups) and then go from one to the other (with as little rest as possible) for 4 sets. When I started I could only go for a minute of jump rope at a time, with maybe a minute of rest between. Over the past 18 months I've worked up to 2 min 45 seconds of jump rope (hitting somewhere between 300-450 jumps). The added element doing it this way is whatever body part you're working on for that day (i.e. shoulders, chest, legs) really gets punished (in a good way).

I use a custom speed rope from Rogue. The best advice I can give, if you're going to really incorporate jump rope in your routine, is to get a good rope that is the proper length. I tried a few other brands before settling on the Rogue, and currently have two different ropes of varying weight to switch between.

Surprisingly I can use a jump rope that is way too big for me.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    @yopeeps025 ...

Darn those genes!!! :s You are right on that one! I know I'm reaching here. But, hey, it's getting me off the couch at least. So there is another reason to buy less expensive exercise help. I gotta save for that excess skin removal! ;) I'm kidding.

A jump rope goal I have also is to be able to jump rope so fast that you cannot see the rope your naked eye in videos without slowly the video down.
  • goldfishgoo

[/quote]

A jump rope goal I have also is to be able to jump rope so fast that you cannot see the rope your naked eye in videos without slowly the video down.
    [/quote]

Judging by your video I can see you are well on your way to accomplishing that goal!

My rope arrived! I got a cable style one (fitskuad brand). I have a lonnnnnnnnnnng way to go! :p Oh man, I'm so bad. But the god news is my heart was just a pumping away! (Ha!) But, yep, I think I could keep this up. The challenge to learn the task is intriguing. I can do 10 minutes easily! Okay the rope isn't actually turning the whole time. It's mostly me tripping like crazy! Like I said, entertainment for the neighbors! :p
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    sm4astan wrote: »

that's how I like to use the rope when its' with training- otherwise just my warm up- but it is a GREAT way to up the antie as it were on a workout (not sure if I spelled that right- but you know what I mean lol)
  • yopeeps025
    Bump to see how the jumping rope is going OP?
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    It gets a lot easier. I started doing 5 minutes of jumping rope - I've been doing it for about 4 months - now I do two sessions of 8 minutes each. Keep at it!