Plateau, still have 45-55 pounds to lose

So I've lost 14 pounds so far in the last 3 weeks. For the last 3 days I've been staying at the same weight and it's so frustrating. I have a good calorie deficit, drink only water (about a gallon a day), run on my elliptical for 20-30 minutes a day as well as chase after my 2 year old all day when I'm not at work, get 7-8 hours of sleep at night and don't eat past 7:30 pm. I've given up all processed foods and sugars and eat low carb. Just trying to figure out why I'm stalling so early on. Is this normal and something that'll work itself out? I mean I'm not expecting to lose a pound a day like I was in the beginning but even a tiny 2 ounce loss or something would be cool. I do FEEL like I'm losing. Don't feel so flabby or bloated and my pants are fitting better, but I DEFINITELY still have a lot to lose. Help!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Three days isn't a plateau, it's totally normal. You aren't going to lose weight every day.
  • DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    its not a plateau after 3 days. I was the same weight from saturday to wednesday... then my weight went down a pound today. Personally, I find that weighing daily can be very discouraging... even though I can be guilty of it, I try to keep my mind on the fact that I am eating healthy, maybe I should add more veggies or something, but try to be patient, you won't drop weight as quickly as your body adjusts to the shock of eating better.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    3 days is nothing. And 14# in 3 weeks is PHENOMENAL! Most people lose between .5-2# a week....not almost 5# a week!
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    This is completely normal. Weight loss isn't linear, you will plateau and gain a little sometimes. As long as the overall trend is down, you'll be fine!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Eta...I haven't seen a loss on the scale since April 12. I lost 4# between April 1 to April 12..still a great average of 1# a week!

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    The reason why you lost 14lbs in 3 weeks is because you are low carb. Most of that weight was water weight. 3 days isn't long enough to be a plateau. Plateaus tend to be over 4-6 weeks. Give it some time and you will lose the weight. This isn't a marathon, slow and steady is the way to go.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Weight loss will *average* over time but it won't happen every day or week. Read this thread:
    It is unlikely that you will lose weight consistently (i.e., weight loss is not linear).

By the way, some of the things you're doing, like not eating past 7:30pm, giving up processed foods and sugars, and eating low carb, are NOT necessary for weight loss. If you choose to do these things, fine, but you can really ease up on those restrictions for a better chance of long-term success.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    Weight loss will *average* over time but it won't happen every day or week. Read this thread:
    It is unlikely that you will lose weight consistently (i.e., weight loss is not linear).

By the way, some of the things you're doing, like not eating past 7:30pm, giving up processed foods and sugars, and eating low carb, are NOT necessary for weight loss. If you choose to do these things, fine, but you can really ease up on those restrictions for a better chance of long-term success.

This^^
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    3 days is NOT a plateau. You're going to have variance due to water weight. Could be from stress, TOM, new or more intense fitness routine, sleep disruption, etc. Compare weight now to weight 4, 8 weeks ago. If down, good. Keep going. If not down now vs 8 weeks ago: reassess what you're doing.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    For people who are more visual, this is what 6 months of weigh-ins look like. The blue dots are actual scale values, showing lots of zig-zagging and up and downs. The black line is the trendline, smoothing out those fluctuations.

Overall I've lost 35 pounds in 6 months, or an average of just over a pound a week. But there are certainly weeks where I've gained or stalled, and others where I've dropped more than that. It all balances out.

yb0retyv79pc.jpg
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    A plateau I regard more as being 6 weeks not 3 days. the others have answered your question the only bit i will stress is that you need to manage your expectations of how weight loss works and what you can expect in the future on rates of loss. If you dont then you could get needlessly frustrated or stressed.
  • Thanks all, that eases my stress. As far as my "strict" eating habits, I actually feel much better without the processed foods and sugars and low carbs, always have. I still give myself a "cheat treat" from time to time but honestly haven't felt deprived of anything at all. I've never been much of a night eater so not eating past 7:30 hasn't been an issue for me. It helps me go to bed earlier if nothing else :)
  • Maybe I'll start weighing myself weekly instead of daily. The only reason I was doing it daily was because it was good to see so much weight loss every day. Now that it's not so steady it's become more of an obsession than anything. I did measure myself the other day and have already lost 3 inches around my waist which is my biggest problem area, so that makes me feel good.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    If you drink alcohol, don't weigh yourself for a few days after drinking. You'll think you gained a ton of weight, but your body is just retaining extra water. Water is dense and can trick you out of seeing your progress.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Nothing wrong with daily, but whatever suits your personality. Keep being your own supporter and at the moment you should be chuffed with yourself that things are going really well. Pace yourself so you ensure you finish.
  • RougeSara
    RougeSara Posts: 60 Member
    Yeah it'll drop..I stayed the same weight for 3 days then woke up today and had lost 3lbs. Just keep truckin'