Convince me to up my cals...

chuisle
chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
Hi All!

I need some convincing. I am in the last 10 lbs, want 19% BF (currently 22.2% according to handheld). People have told me I should let the weight loss goal to .5 lbs a week increase calorie intake to further cut fat (I have been consistently strength training and trying to incorporate HIIT). I've thought about it a few times but this is what crosses my mind...

1. But I want to lose 1 lbs a week...not 1 lbs every two weeks!!
2. I am already losing slowly at this point...won't that just make it slower?
3. I already eat back my exercise calories and am working on getting more protein. Shouldn't that be enough?
4. I am just really scared to up my calories...this WAS working!

I realize there are answer to these things but I'm not sure I know them and I need convincing.

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Are you doing any form of strength training?
  • chuisle
    Are you doing any form of strength training?

I strength train 3x a week following this routine...http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/article/training/kiss_bodybuilding_workouts_goodbye&cr=
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    I follow a similar plan and eat 1800 / day. Not sure where you're at.
  • chuisle
    I follow a similar plan and eat 1800 / day. Not sure where you're at.

I'm currently at 1260 a day + exercise cals. Weekends tend to be higher.
  • thaismoreira
    thaismoreira Posts: 37 Member
    From the biochemistry point of view, once your calories intake is very low (that will change from person to person) your metabolism changes and the body save as much as possible. Just to have an analogy, now you have a super efficient car that does not waste any fuel. When the amount of calories does not send the "starvation" message your body will burn the glycogen and then the fat. It is important when the calories come from but I do not remember details.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    You would be suprised how well your body will take to the extra calories. I would up them to 1300/1400. I did this personally, and I noticed that a lost more weight doing this method as opposed to 1200 ish cals. I think in reality we actually underestimate what we do activity wise and then undereat our calories (unless you are using a HRM). Try it out for 3 weeks and see if you notice a difference, if it doesn't work you can always go back to the old way or even try zig zagging.
  • chuisle
    You would be suprised how well your body will take to the extra calories. I would up them to 1300/1400. I did this personally, and I noticed that a lost more weight doing this method as opposed to 1200 ish cals. I think in reality we actually underestimate what we do activity wise and then undereat our calories (unless you are using a HRM). Try it out for 3 weeks and see if you notice a difference, if it doesn't work you can always go back to the old way or even try zig zagging.

Thanks for the idea!
  • About 3 weeks ago, I was at a standstill almost and was at 1200 then. I bumped mine to 1300 and bam, I started losing and even more than the .5 that my goal is set to. Just because you set it at .5 doesn't mean that is the most you will lose. I agree with the above poster to just up it a little bit and see what happens. I am pretty happy right now at 1300 and eating my exercise calories and I'm not even working out as much as you are. I lost 5lbs in 3 weeks after changing it.
  • chuisle
    Thanks...I'm going to change my goal to .5 a week and see what happens. The worst is that I don't lose which is happening now. Thanks for the advice!