Make-Up Gurus, Is my make-up 'off'?

Options
nainai0585
nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
edited April 2015 in Chit-Chat
e51hdtdciaw5.jpg
Up

This was taken last week, with natural lighting (I am standing in front of a window). I feel the foundation colour and my lipstick is too dark for an 'everyday' look. I have oily skin and have finally gotten a handle on all of my adult acne. I prefer more nutural tones for everyday.
Thoughts, opinions.....I don't want to hear "Oh you look just fine, your make-up is just fine, yada yada yada" as this was the response I received on FB. I want a critical eye to judge my make-up bc I don't want to leave the house looking like crap.
Example: Husband, do these clothes make me look fat/crappy/flat butt/etc? Yes wife, those clothes are not flattering for you today. Thank-you Husband for your honest opinion, as you know I don't want to leave the house looking like sh**. - when I ask my husband for an HONEST opinion, I expect it....so any advice is greatly welcomed!

I think my eye brows are too thin too....but I'm thinking a good pencil will help fill them in until it happens naturally.

Replies

• spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Looks natural to me. I only see the eyeliner and the brows. The rest of your face doesn't look made up... that is a good thing to me. :)

Edited to state, the lips have a nice pink too. Also, I'm not a makeup guru. lol
  • nainai0585
    Options
    Hmmmm, but the colour transition from the face to the neck is clearly visible....to me anyways. I assumed that was a big no no.....maybe I'm wrong :)
  • spicy618
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nainai0585 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, but the colour transition from the face to the neck is clearly visible....to me anyways. I assumed that was a big no no.....maybe I'm wrong :)

Now that you mentioned it, I noticed a little. It's not major. I just took a make up class on Tuesday... lol. She told me to use a foundation that matches my chest more and that will avoid that happening. However, I live in florida, where the sun hits your chest a lot if not covered.

• nainai0585
    Options
    I live in Alberta, Canada so we're JUST getting into our spring clothes and are still very pale.
    That's excellent advice about matching the colour, I had never heard it before.
  • spicy618
    Options
    I live in Alberta, Canada so we're JUST getting into our spring clothes and are still very pale.

I've come to the conclusion that I need a foundation for the pale months too. :smiley: )

I just noticed you mentioned your eyebrows... Youtube is the place to learn how to perfect your eyebrows. Also, google "Anastasia eyebrow templates". It's awesome. Will help you to shape your brows.
  • jackiereaves
    jackiereaves Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The lip color looks great and is very natural but I would suggest u try a shade lighter with the foundation to give an overall natural look. If u prefer your foundation slightly darker u can use a dust of bronzer over the lighter foundation, the color would look natural with a glow. For your brows I think a brow powder would fill them in nicely, once u fill them in with powder u can lightly outline your brows with a pencil to make them more defined.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i would agree on a shade lighter foundation and using a bronzer to highlight certain areas and bring in a bit of color. lipstick is a good day lipstick. u can go in to somewhere like sephora and they can match your foundation and give advice for a new shade of lipstick if u want to try something different!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,541 Member
    Options
    Is it weird that I just read through all of these responses?
  • spicy618
    Options

Yes, but did you learn anything? lol!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,541 Member
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »

I'm watching videos about shaping eyebrows now if that tells you anything.
  • spicy618
    Options

I'm watching videos about shaping eyebrows now if that tells you anything.

lmao! You are a good student. Make sure to come post a picture. ;)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

I've come to the conclusion that I need a foundation for the pale months too. :smiley: )

I just noticed you mentioned your eyebrows... Youtube is the place to learn how to perfect your eyebrows. Also, google "Anastasia eyebrow templates". It's awesome. Will help you to shape your brows.
    Wooo Edmonton here too!

But as said, matching is key!

Also, I agree with checking out for the eyebrows, they're a little thin, but if you like them then you're good!
  • nainai0585
    Options
    My opinion on my brows is Meh. So I'm all about changing something I feel Meh about :)
    I agree with everyone about the foundation too, I thought it was a shade too dark, but it might be perfect when I get some more sun, maybe?
    Thanks everyone for the honest opinions and thoughts. This world of make-up is very new to me due solely to my acne as a teen and adult, so I'm trying on A LOT of different brands and products. If you open a foundation and its the wrong colour, can it be returned to the store? I think that's the crappiest part of buying make-up when your a noob, wasting $10+ on a product that you can't use.
  • nainai0585
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Wooo Edmonton here too!

But as said, matching is key!

Also, I agree with checking out for the eyebrows, they're a little thin, but if you like them then you're good!

Edmontonians Unite!!! :) But this is not my Native Province......I'm an East Coaster who wanted to join the land of oil and money :D
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I would go with something a bit less pink and a bit more... peach - so more earthy in tone and a bit lighter. And I agree with your assessment on the brows being too thin. For daytime, I skip foundation all together, because it's too easy to see in natural lighting, and I don't want to wear foundation to the bra line... >_<

I am not a make-up guru. I just spent a lot of time wearing the stuff for theater.
  • N3rdyBird_
    N3rdyBird_ Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    To look more natural I'd do away from the pink lipstick and switch to nude/peach/earthy toned one. Your powder/foundation is a shade or two too dark. So, find a foundation that is about the same color as the skin on the underside of your wrist. Your brows are little too harsh, instead try feathering in your brows with a mat brown eye shadow . Yes I do make for a lot of people.
  • lolitamaneata
    lolitamaneata Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think everything looks fine except for the eyebrows, they are too thin and too flat. It would look nice if they had more arch. I would suggest watching some youtube videos to learn how to pencil them in. Or use brow templates like someone else mentioned.
  • nainai0585
    Options
    To look more natural I'd do away from the pink lipstick and switch to nude/peach/earthy toned one. Your powder/foundation is a shade or two too dark. So, find a foundation that is about the same color as the skin on the underside of your wrist. Your brows are little too harsh, instead try feathering in your brows with a mat brown eye shadow . Yes I do make for a lot of people.

These suggestions are perfect......now its time to scour youtube videos
  • shainasb310
    shainasb310 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see anything too dark. I didn't notice the foundation difference at all until it was mentioned by others and still can't see much of a transition in the color. I would recommend trying a BB cream over a foundation. I use one from Loreal and I absolutely love it! I can barely tell that its on my face at all but gives me the coverage I desire. Pinks look horrible on me but I don't see anything wrong with your lips. And I do agree on the eyebrows but that's something easily changed. I went through a very embarrassing eyebrow stage in the past but I have now been going to the same salon for my eyebrows for the past 10 years. You may want to consider an eyebrow guru to help you achieve the shape you want.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I don't see a huge difference in your face and neck but I know where you are coming from because on me if there is ANY difference on my face/neck I go crazy. Maybe try a lighter foundation or different type of foundation. I like RMS Beauty uncover up, it blends really well and is totally non-toxic. While I can tell you are wearing make up I think it looks pretty natural. Maybe try a peachy type tone on your lips for something a bit more natural.