Weight loss slow- am I eating enough?

Options
im eating around 1000 to 1100 calories a day. I would be comfortable with 800 but get a warning when I try to close out the day. I can eat around 1370 I think for a 1.5 lb a week weight loss.
But the loos has slowed down and I'm not achieving that amour. I work hard at this and don't understand why I'm not losing.
Any ideas?

Replies

• Razzaz
    Razzaz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too on a 1300 calorie diet... I'm finding my weight won't shift.... hoping to sit here tight and see other people's comments...
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    How long has poster been at this?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    weight loss is a slow process...you aren't going to lose exactly X Lbs per week...to think you will is a vast oversimplification of the entire process. Weight loss isn't a linear progression...weight control in general is a trend...you're either trending down, trending even, or trending up over a period of time...like weeks and months.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    at that amount of calories I am surprised you can function. You burn more than that by just being alive and breathing. I am not a huge fan of the 1200 calorie loss. Slow and steady with slight deductions is the way to go.

What happens when you exercise? Where is that energy coming from? Certainly not your food intake.

what happens when you reach the desired weight number and you start eating a normal diet. This is not sustainable long term. I would suggest eating more it may sound backwards but eating more lets your body burn what it needs to function plus gives you fuel to burn via exercise.

I was eating a low calorie diet and the weight loss stopped, had to eat more and now the loss is starting again, along with a ton of fat burning from lifting weights.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How's your logging? Are you positive you're eating that little? Are you using a food scale, the recipe builder, logging everything you put in your mouth, using accurate entries? Also how much do you have to lose - maybe 1.5 a week just isn't realistic for you.
  • LMS120yesIcan
    LMS120yesIcan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    are you in your ideal weight range or are you overweight? I have read numerous times that eating under 1200 calories a day puts your body in starvation mode, lowering your metabolism and making it difficult to lose. The body is in survival mode and wants to hang on to the fat. Other posters have informed me that this is a myth. Try an internet search on eating less than 1200 calories and see what the articles say. Exercising has helped me. In my opinion you need to eat more and aim for a realistic .5 to 1 pound loss. Best of Luck!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    rebasue55 wrote: »
    im eating around 1000 to 1100 calories a day. I would be comfortable with 800 but get a warning when I try to close out the day. I can eat around 1370 I think for a 1.5 lb a week weight loss.
    But the loos has slowed down and I'm not achieving that amour. I work hard at this and don't understand why I'm not losing.
    Any ideas?

What are your stats (age, weight, height, activity level, goal weight)?

Are you weighing your food on a food scale and logging everything you eat?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    are you in your ideal weight range or are you overweight? I have read numerous times that eating under 1200 calories a day puts your body in starvation mode, lowering your metabolism and making it difficult to lose. The body is in survival mode and wants to hang on to the fat. Other posters have informed me that this is a myth. Try an internet search on eating less than 1200 calories and see what the articles say. Exercising has helped me. In my opinion you need to eat more and aim for a realistic .5 to 1 pound loss. Best of Luck!

If you Google a popular weight loss myth, you're going to find a lot of BS to support it. That's because it's a popular myth. This is not helpful advice.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Knowing you only eat about 1000 calories a day, I'd say NO you aren't eating enough.
  • LMS120yesIcan
    Options
    try WebMD, there is an article called Stop Starving Yourselves! (yes it is written by a doctor) This may explain your slow weight loss (or it may not). There can be so many different reasons. Sometimes seeking advice from a professional - like a dietician - can help solve the mystery.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    try WebMD, there is an article called Stop Starving Yourselves! (yes it is written by a doctor) This may explain your slow weight loss (or it may not). There can be so many different reasons. Sometimes seeking advice from a professional - like a dietician - can help solve the mystery.

That is barely an article -- she presents no sources and doesn't talk at all about timelines. Her claim that Lori has "taught" her body to hold on to fat after four days is ridiculous. Her willingness to diagnose the problem from a one line message on a message board really tells you everything you need to know.
  • LMS120yesIcan
    Options

That is barely an article -- she presents no sources and doesn't talk at all about timelines. Her claim that Lori has "taught" her body to hold on to fat after four days is ridiculous. Her willingness to diagnose the problem from a one line message on a message board really tells you everything you need to know.

• harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you've only been at it for a couple days, just give it more time and make sure you're logging accurately. There is no need to eat less than 1200, and although it can make you lose weight faster at first, the side effects of super-low cal (like being tired, risk of undernourishment, and just general icky feeling), ultimately work against the goals of looking and feeling great. It's just not worth it.

Give it some time and allow yourself to eat a bit more. Starving won't really help you succeed.