How do you calculate hor d'oeuvres or appetizers when at a party or function?

Options
Tonight and a number of times over the next few weeks, I will be attending either parties or functions. I find it very difficult to calculate hor d'oeuvres and small appetizers. So often salad is not on the menu - so how do you calculate something you don't know who made or what is in it?
Any suggestions?

Replies

• sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I just guess the best I can, picking higher calorie options in the tracker if there is a big difference. Exercise but don't eat your calories and keep the meals you can control very light.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    There is always the option to quess, and add "Quick Add" calories. The more you track food, the better you get at guessing the calories.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I look for similar frozen or restaurant appetizers in the database and just live with the uncertainty.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I use the T.L.A.R. (That looks about right) or W.A.G (Wild a** Guess) system. You'd be surprised what might already be in the database. So I try to find the closest item I can and then I try to log high. That way, if I'm wrong, I'm hopefully logging more calories than I actually consumed.

(And sometimes you find out that the people who served the hor d'oeuvres actually got them out of the freezer section at the store.)
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I recommend looking up the numbers for the types of things you tend to eat (say spanikopita or pigs'n'blankets) ahead of time, so you have an idea as to the quantity you can allow yourself. And of course, they almost always have some type of crudite - if you stay light (or avoid) the dressing/dip, that's a great way to be a part of the eating while keeping your caloric intake down.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    csuhar wrote: »
    I use the T.L.A.R. (That looks about right) or W.A.G (Wild a** Guess) system.

^^^ I do this too.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The times that I have had to do this were at weddings and I left over 1000 calories in my day for dinner and left it blank. Yeah you end up having a low calorie day in your diary but I didn't gain anything and ate pretty light those meals...plus wedding cake. One of the best benefits of being a wedding photographer :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid most appetizers and just wait for the meal. But if I do have some, I have a small amount and take my best guess.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Oh my goodness, you just made me laugh!
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use the T.L.A.R. (That looks about right) or W.A.G (Wild a** Guess) system. You'd be surprised what might already be in the database. So I try to find the closest item I can and then I try to log high. That way, if I'm wrong, I'm hopefully logging more calories than I actually consumed.

(And sometimes you find out that the people who served the hor d'oeuvres actually got them out of the freezer section at the store.)

This is so me!! Love it
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    I look for similar frozen or restaurant appetizers in the database and just live with the uncertainty.

This is what I do, plus have some 'spare' calories (eg from a workout) to allow for any underestimations in calories.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    The TLAR and WAG methods are what I use :) helped, of course, by data base entries that seem relevant ~
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

ditto. or try to break it down (but i married a chef and am not too shabby myself so between the two of us we can usually get pretty close, with some quick add for possible cooking oil or butter, unseen ingredients and such...)