11 years of bad habits and excuses.

Options
Texas Firefighter Paramedic with too much to carry around. January 1st of this year I found myself 60 lbs heavier than my hire date in 2004. I was 280. A very active 280 but 280 non the less. So I have had a complete diet change and workout 4 to 5 days a week and am now down to 255 in four months. No tricks no gimmicks. I came to my fitness pal because I have plateaued and believe my tiny daily calorie intake may be to blame. So I'm tracking it in an effort to eat more efficiently.

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Good for you, and congrats on your success and positive outlook! Accurate logging of food intake can make all the difference - a food scale is usually recommended to that end. Best of luck!
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Result of a work-required physical or did you decide yourself that it's time to change things? Just curious.

Edit: Congrats too, on the progress so far!
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Become friends with time, patience, and dedication. Keep calories higher than you expect since you're so active. Congrats on your current weight loss as well as future weight loss!
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to MFP. You definitely came to the right place. You should find that logging your food will keep you accountable and can be very eye opening. It made a huge difference for me. My "guesstimates" were way off and I easily took in more calories than I realized. Once I started accurately logging all my food every day, I found it easy to control my weight, whether losing or maintaining.

• aaronff63
    aaronff63 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just decided I was tired of being overweight and felt I embarrassed the uniform and made a change. I could still pass the physical ability test. Just not as easily as I used to. :)
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    aaronff63 wrote: »
    I just decided I was tired of being overweight and felt I embarrassed the uniform and made a change. I could still pass the physical ability test. Just not as easily as I used to. :)

Good for you! It's nice to do that when YOU are ready to do it! Congrats again!
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    good luck and welcome!!
  • sevenactual
    sevenactual Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    aaronft63,

I came to MFP to track calories because I had plateaued and found my culprit fast. Through calorie tracking alone I found a couple of food items that if I regulated better I could reduce my caloric intake by over 700 calories a day. 700 x 7 = 4,900 calories a week. Made all the difference.

Welcome to MFD and thank you for the work you do. Much appreciated.
  • aaronff63
    aaronff63 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was eating way to few calories. Like 800-1200 per day. I've been trying to avoid problem foods for me so bad that I was pretty much avoiding all foods. I was getting weaker and more tired during workouts even though I was losing weight. I hope this helps me ensure I am eating enough calories.
  • abbeyw1990
    abbeyw1990 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good luck :)