Eating like a maniac while on vacation......yikes!

Options
Goal4Jex
Goal4Jex Posts: 18 Member
edited April 2015 in Motivation and Support
So I had my best friend from high school come visit me in Las Vegas. Of course SHE is stick thin as she has always been since 6th grade. I used to be just as flat stomach and thin as she. ( many years ago lol)
It was great to see her. But of course she is the thin type of person that eats anything she wants and does not gain one single oz of weight!
While here visiting me for a week she wanted to eat out all the time. And some places have great healthy foods like salads or grilled chicken. But then when we were in a hurry we'd go to get hamburgers, and of course had some drinks ( worst one is the big Slurpee type margaritas) ....
I consciously knew that the hard work I did the previous week was going to be totally wasted.
We tried to do so much that week that I'd be too tired to work out at the end of the day or to get up early.
So as soon as she left I decided to get back on MFP to really start tracking my food. I didn't want to do it while my friend was here because I knew I'd be horrified by all the cals, carbs and fats I consumed. Specially after paying $50 at a buffet. lol
Now I am really trying to fix my binge eating and try to stay on track. I'm doing much better. but the occasional urge for candy and such kicks in and I give in.

Replies

• GraceTheAwesome
    GraceTheAwesome Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It takes hard work and determination, but I know you can do it!
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That sounds exactly how you're supposed to eat on vacation lol. I found that my cure for when I have a sweet tooth is a spoonful or two of peanut butter.
  • Goal4Jex
    Options
    lol I tried that last night. peanut butter... but I had 8 spoonfuls to cure my sweet tooth! and a big red apple :D ..... and of course I got a message on my diet log saying " your goal for Carbs is only this much and you went over!"
    But in the end all that eating out having fun with my friend was worth it!
    Now back to the dieting and work out!!!
    I'm with Grace. I can do it!!! :#
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jessyahnke wrote: »
    lol I tried that last night. peanut butter... but I had 8 spoonfuls to cure my sweet tooth! and a big red apple :D ..... and of course I got a message on my diet log saying " your goal for Carbs is only this much and you went over!"

being over on carbs is irrelevant...
  • Goal4Jex
    Options

cwolfman13 wrote: »

I have been able to maintain my 128-130 lbs and not go over. But my goal is to get to 120 lbs. I don't think I work out enough a week ( 3 days a week, 1/2 hrs a day) So I have seem to be stuck at 128 lbs.
    I am trying to do lower carb and more protein to see if that helps.
    It's hard and many times confusing with all the information provided. Some say just work out hard and carbs and calories don't matter. Some say that is ALL that matters is the carb intake.
    I'm testing things here and there to see what works. So all info and advice is welcomed. Worst that can happen is I try it and I doesn't work for me. :#
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

cwolfman13 wrote: »

I have been able to maintain my 128-130 lbs and not go over. But my goal is to get to 120 lbs. I don't think I work out enough a week ( 3 days a week, 1/2 hrs a day) So I have seem to be stuck at 128 lbs.
    I am trying to do lower carb and more protein to see if that helps.
    It's hard and many times confusing with all the information provided. Some say just work out hard and carbs and calories don't matter. Some say that is ALL that matters is the carb intake.
    I'm testing things here and there to see what works. So all info and advice is welcomed. Worst that can happen is I try it and I doesn't work for me. :#

Weight loss is simply about energy balance. Carbs can come into play if you have certain metabolic issues...and certainly, people should try to balance out their diets...and protein is important...but weight loss is simply about energy balance. Also, many carbs tend to be calorie dense so reducing carbohydrate intake can and often does result in an energy deficit whether the individual is aware of that or not.

A calorie is a unit of energy. Think of your body as a super cool machine...this super cool machine needs XXXX amount of energy (calories) every day...this energy powers basic functions like your heart beating, lungs working, kidneys working, etc...beyond that, energy is required to do other things...crawl out of bed, drive to work, etc, etc, etc. And beyond that, energy (calories) are required to fuel exercise.

Basically when you consume energy in a quantity that is appropriate to fuel all of those things, you maintain your weight. When you consume energy in excess of what you need to do all of those things, that excess energy is stored for later use...it is stored as body fat. When you consume less energy than is required to do all of these things, your awesome machine makes up the difference by dipping into your stored energy...i.e. fat stores...i.e. body fat and burns fat for energy.

There really isn't such a thing as not exercising enough to lose weight...weight is most efficiently controlled through consumption of energy. I'm a fitness buff to put it lightly...I have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight all while training like there's no tomorrow. The difference between those weight control objectives was not the exercise I was doing...it was the amount of energy I was taking in.

As for your macro settings (carbs/fat/protein) on MFP...these are just arbitrary default settings...you can adjust them however you please. I generally find them to be a bit lacking in the protein department...

• Goal4Jex
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the info! And you made very realistic and valid points.
    I'm trying to lose that last 10 lbs and they are hanging on to me for dear life.
    I have tried to lower my cal intake . But I seem to be hangry ( hungry to the point of angry ) a lot .
    Any suggestions on how to handle the " hanger" ?
    I'm doing salad with chicken or other meat for lunch but feel like I didn't eat a thing 30 min late
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I hear you! My sisters and our husbands are going to an all-inclusive end of May. And I really, really, really like all-inclusives! I probably won't track calories, but I will definitely work out a few times when there.

And my fat is hanging on for dear life, too! So here's wishing we find the way to knock it lose so that one day when we measure or get on the scale, it's GONE! Best wishes to you.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I feel you... I live in Vegas too, so I know the madness you're talking about. All you can do is get back to your routine, put it behind you and move on.
  • Goal4Jex
    Options
    slp51 wrote: »
    I hear you! My sisters and our husbands are going to an all-inclusive end of May. And I really, really, really like all-inclusives! I probably won't track calories, but I will definitely work out a few times when there.

And my fat is hanging on for dear life, too! So here's wishing we find the way to knock it lose so that one day when we measure or get on the scale, it's GONE! Best wishes to you.

Thank you !!! and I hope you enjoy your vacation! And farewell to our fat!!!!

• Goal4Jex
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I feel you... I live in Vegas too, so I know the madness you're talking about. All you can do is get back to your routine, put it behind you and move on.

Thank you. Yep Back on track until next time ;) I think as long as I balance it out in the end, I should be ok.

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you enjoyed every bite and can just get back on track this week!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the info! And you made very realistic and valid points.
    I'm trying to lose that last 10 lbs and they are hanging on to me for dear life.
    I have tried to lower my cal intake . But I seem to be hangry ( hungry to the point of angry ) a lot .
    Any suggestions on how to handle the " hanger" ?
    I'm doing salad with chicken or other meat for lunch but feel like I didn't eat a thing 30 min late

My calorie limit is 1250 ... and that's low enough I struggle with the hangry thing.

However, if I exercise, I can eat more. So I consume under 1250 NET.

Today, for example, I cycled 2 hours and burned about 800 cal. I'll probably eat about half that back. So 1250 + 400 is 1650. 1650 is a lot more comfortable. :) I'll be having a yummy tuna casserole tonight.

Rather unexpectedly, I've ended up eating out a lot more than usual since I started here ... birthday weekend, friends visiting, 5-day holiday at Easter, etc. .... and I've eaten some good stuff along the way. But I've exercised my butt off for it. Lots of cycling and walking. Even opting to walk from where we were staying to the restaurant helped. :)

• GonnaDoThis43
    GonnaDoThis43 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want. I can totally relate to what you're talking about Jessy. I need to get remotivated to lose these last few. It's not easy!
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I know what that's like! I just went on a 3 week dream vacation to Disneyland in California and Las Vegas a few months ago. It took us 9 years to save up for this trip so I was beyond stoked that my dream trip became a reality. I haven't been to those places since I was a child, so this was huge for me. Also, it was my child's first trip to both Disneyland and Vegas. We never ever leave our state. I didn't count a single calorie while on vacation and I enjoyed eating all sorts of yummy things that I don't have back home. Also, we visited family in both states and that always translates to high calorie feasting with the fam. Well, when I got home, I almost had a heart attack when I saw the number on the scale. I had gained over 10 pounds in 3 weeks! I didn't even know this was possible for me. So here I am again, back on MFP to try to undo all of that holiday damage. It's going to be a long road, but I'm going to take it slow and be as healthy as possible while on a very tight budget. At least I can say that we had a blast on our trip. Here's to our post vacation weight loss journeys! :smiley:
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I never really count cals when I am on vacation simply because we do soooo much walking. I actually lost weight in Vegas and we had free buffet every day that week. I must day we only ate two meals a day and bf and I are not big on grazing on snacks.

Nevertheless ...I don't worry about it as I am back to my normal routine at home. Vacations are meant to be enjoyed :)
  • Goal4Jex
    Options
    Oh my, I know what that's like! I just went on a 3 week dream vacation to Disneyland in California and Las Vegas a few months ago. It took us 9 years to save up for this trip so I was beyond stoked that my dream trip became a reality. I haven't been to those places since I was a child, so this was huge for me. Also, it was my child's first trip to both Disneyland and Vegas. We never ever leave our state. I didn't count a single calorie while on vacation and I enjoyed eating all sorts of yummy things that I don't have back home. Also, we visited family in both states and that always translates to high calorie feasting with the fam. Well, when I got home, I almost had a heart attack when I saw the number on the scale. I had gained over 10 pounds in 3 weeks! I didn't even know this was possible for me. So here I am again, back on MFP to try to undo all of that holiday damage. It's going to be a long road, but I'm going to take it slow and be as healthy as possible while on a very tight budget. At least I can say that we had a blast on our trip. Here's to our post vacation weight loss journeys! :smiley:

Glad you and the fam had a great trip and you got to enjoy it!!! Makes me feel better that I am not the only one lol
  • Goal4Jex
    Options
    Add me if you want. I can totally relate to what you're talking about Jessy. I need to get remotivated to lose these last few. It's not easy!

It sure is not easy but it is possible ! I keep trying to remind myself that .
  • Goal4Jex
    Options
    maasha81 wrote: »
    I never really count cals when I am on vacation simply because we do soooo much walking. I actually lost weight in Vegas and we had free buffet every day that week. I must day we only ate two meals a day and bf and I are not big on grazing on snacks.

Nevertheless ...I don't worry about it as I am back to my normal routine at home. Vacations are meant to be enjoyed :)

I did walk a lot!! I didn't even think about that :) I fill s tad bit less guilty lol
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    the same thing happened to me, went away for the weekend, too much eating out, nothing great either. Came home and I'm up a little. Now I need to work a little harder this week to get back to where I was. It happens to everyone, I 'm sure, but maybe next time I will make a few better choices and only splurge a little bit.