Raw Veggies...maybe TMI!

Options
djwife03
djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
I eat a lot of raw veggies, and love them. Problem is that they tend to make me gassy and bloated! sometimes it hurts!! I do sit 8 hours a day at work, and workout at night. I try to get up and move during the day but even then it's seems like i still have the gas. I've heard that taking a probiotic can help? is this true?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Can you narrow down which one it is?

Broccoli makes me nuclear- but almost everything else is fine- so I limit my consumption of broccoli only because i don't want to have to getup every 5 min to relocate myself out of a cloud of fumes.
  • djwife03
    Options
    well, it seems like cucumbers do it! i also eat the mini bell peppers, and snap peas. never have a problem with broccoli. and LOL! at your comment! and i usually have tomatoes and onions often, whether it be on wrap or in a salad.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    See if you can really narrow it down- and then you can start working on a solution- I can't say probiotics will do it- I haven't found anything to really "do it' other than eating in moderation of a meal and just not going ham on said veggies. I really do love broccoli- I do- like an excessive amount- but it seriously tears me up- but if I have a small cup at dinner with my steak and potato when we go out- it's fine. None issue. I've tried lots of the gas products- none of them are powerful enough to deter the radiation issues from broccoli LOL
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Certain probiotics can help certain people overcome certain digestive issues. It could help, but you won't know until you try.

Eating daily, consistent amounts over an extended period of time may help your body adjust. It took my body 2 months to adjust to eating all that fiber when i switched from yogurt to vegetables as a snack.

Blanching also helps cut down on the veggie gassies, though cukes can't really be blanched with crispy results... it did work for my raw broccoli habit.
  • djwife03
    Options
    ok,thank you! i love raw veggies!! i will see if I can narrow it down! I hate to cut anything out, but dang!
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    A colleague of mine swears by activated charcoal. She takes a couple capsules when she is eating "gassy foods" and it solves her bloating issues.
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    Options
    I have the very same issue, and some bodies just can't get used to it. I have a super sensitive digestive tract and deal with this often. I have found that some are worse than others so I eat them strategically. Probiotic does help in general with digestion-related tasks so it wouldn't be a bad shot. If you've just started eating lots of raw veggies, your body might adjust, or you may be like me and just have to learn the caveats and work around it! :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Lightly steaming the offending veggies works for me. Raw broccoli will make me clear a room, but if it's just lightly steamed, it's no issue and it still tastes delicious.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My partner struggles and taking a probiotic seems to help a little. Worth a try. Will have to look into charcoal. Never heard of taking that before.