Protein sources!

Options
Glowiie1
Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
Hey everyone! I've been tracking my food/exercise for nearly a month now, and I noticed a bad trend: I'm woefully deficient in protein intake. I'm not even getting close. MFP is recommending around 70 g, and I'm regularly hitting only 40g-ish.

Obviously, I want to fix this, so I want to see if the MFP world has some suggestions that fit my criteria:
No protein powders (please don't start a debate on that. There are plenty of other forums for that discussion!)
No fish (don't like the taste)

Hard boiled eggs are good, but when they sit in the minifridge at work, my whole cubicle smells. Any idea how to avoid that?
I realize chicken is an easy option, but dealing with raw meat kinda grosses me out. I'm not a vegetarian, but I can rarely talk myself into handling the slimy stuff ha ha.
Beans are good. I just run out of things to do with them...

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Read this thread

But meat, meat and meat are the easier choice. ;)
  • Glowiie1
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Read this thread

But meat, meat and meat are the easier choice. ;)

Soooooo true. :)
  • brittney1211
    brittney1211 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Suggestion 1: Can you handle Plain Greek Yogurt? I admit I didn't like it at first, but got used to it and now I hate flavored yogurts. I generally eat Fage 2%. I think it just tastes better than the 0%, although I prefer the Total version if I have the fat grams to spare. One thing I do is make a chicken salad with Greek yogurt. I hate dealing with raw meat as well. If you just dump chicken breasts into a crock pot or boil them first, then shred the cooked meat. Add Greek yogurt grapes, celery, and nuts. Eat that on cucumbers to keep carbs down (if you care about carbs-some ppl don't).
    Suggestion 2: Can you find good quality Jerky? With the Paleo craze you can find good quality meat jerky at various grocery stores.
    Suggestion 3: eat eggs in the AM or eat breakfast for dinner; eggs & meat (ham, bacon, turkey bacon- what ever you prefer).

I hope this helps. I'll be looking for other suggestions too!
  • Glowiie1
    Options
    If you just dump chicken breasts into a crock pot or boil them first, then shred the cooked meat. Add Greek yogurt grapes, celery, and nuts. Eat that on cucumbers to keep carbs down (if you care about carbs-some ppl don't)

I love this idea! I can definitely dump things into a crock pot. I've never done shredded chicken this way before. How do you do it? Can you elaborate on that?
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I often buy precooked chicken to use with salads. Usually it is diced or in strips. And last week I bought some frozen breasts that are already cooked. Super easy for lunch and I can grab one at a time.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Glowiie1 wrote: »
    If you just dump chicken breasts into a crock pot or boil them first, then shred the cooked meat. Add Greek yogurt grapes, celery, and nuts. Eat that on cucumbers to keep carbs down (if you care about carbs-some ppl don't)

I love this idea! I can definitely dump things into a crock pot. I've never done shredded chicken this way before. How do you do it? Can you elaborate on that?

you just drop it in the crockpot, and then this is what I do......"poke" holes in the chicken with a knive, add salt & pepper, a couple stocks of celery, peeled onion cut in half and maybe some carrots and of course water.....this gives the chicken a little flavor.....after it's cooked (on low 6 hours or so, depending on your crockpot) take the chicken out and shred with 2 forks....YUM! Add to whatever you want (chicken salad, tacos, lots of possibilities!!) Google shredded chicken recipes :)

• Glowiie1
    Options
    I'll have to give greek yogurt a try.

And anything with a crockpot is totally up my alley! I love to fill that thing up in the morning, then come home to a delicious smelling house (and food) when I get home.

Thanks for the tips :smiley:
  • Glowiie1
    Options
    Oh and @brittney1211 - jerky is a really good call. Totally love jerky, and I never think to eat it! We even have a dehydrator at home if I could con myself into using it once in a while. Do you think jerky freezes?
  • Aridwolf
    Aridwolf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A good Protein shake is an easy way to add extra protein.
  • Torrinos
    Torrinos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My primary sources of protein:
    - Plain 0% greek yogurt became my primary source in the past year or so. You can find flavoured with just a bit of carbs and fat-free
    - Steamed chicken is the leanest source obviously
    - I see that you don't like fish, but have you tried all? I just ate sole fillets baked without butter. Very little smell cause they are dried in the oven. Very tasty and excellent source of protein
    - Cottage cheese. If you can't eat raw try to bake some cheesecakes. I have few recipes of "Bro Cheesecakes" with very little fat.
    - Sliced chicken, e.g. Natural's Selection. Quite low in sodium.
    - Cheese, nuts, which are high in fat but will introduce some variety
    - And protein powder - sometimes it is the only option, when you have to have your 1g/lb of LBM per day and you don't have any other food in the fridge after workout.
  • fattymcpanda
    fattymcpanda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is an excellent source of protein. Also the Morning Star "sausage" patties. Quest protein bars have a ton of protein and more than double the fiber that I have seen in any portion bars. I order mine on amazon. Low calories and essentially no carbs. I have to hit around 100 grams daily and try to maintain a 1200 calorie day or a 1000 calorie deficit, using my body bug. It can be tough. But those have been good options for me. I also HATE protein shakes.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I know you said no protein powders, but what about protein bars?
    Also...
    Hemp hearts sprinkled on Greek yoghurt
    Veggie burgers
    Tofu products
    Bean burritos
    Lots of dairy....honestly some days I'm falling short on my protein requirements too
  • cilleriania
    cilleriania Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the low fat greek yoghurt, but I don't mind 2% cottage cheese with my breakfast (oats). Can also use cottage cheese in a smoothie if you're not a fan of the texture. I'm vego, so I also use black beans, peas / broccoli, cheese, refried beans, hemp seeds and nuts and a little tofu (marinade in garlic, ginger and soy sauce). I have increased my protein intake by about 40g / day since starting on here, although that also includes now using some protein powder.
  • laxgreen
    laxgreen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Glowiie1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I've been tracking my food/exercise for nearly a month now, and I noticed a bad trend: I'm woefully deficient in protein intake. I'm not even getting close. MFP is recommending around 70 g, and I'm regularly hitting only 40g-ish.

Obviously, I want to fix this, so I want to see if the MFP world has some suggestions that fit my criteria:
    No protein powders (please don't start a debate on that. There are plenty of other forums for that discussion!)
    No fish (don't like the taste)

Hard boiled eggs are good, but when they sit in the minifridge at work, my whole cubicle smells. Any idea how to avoid that?
    I realize chicken is an easy option, but dealing with raw meat kinda grosses me out. I'm not a vegetarian, but I can rarely talk myself into handling the slimy stuff ha ha.
    Beans are good. I just run out of things to do with them...