Help me out....Mexican style dessert

Options
bmfrazie
bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
Saturday we are having a group of friends over and we are doing a blanket theme of Mexican. I told my husband that I want to do all the cooking and not have it split between our friends (so I can control the calories and make it healthier).

We will have 7 layer bean dip, fresh salsa, and stuffed jalapeno's for apps. Dinner is Pork Green Chili Burriots and Chicken Green Chili Enchiladas. However, what do I do for a dessert. I had planned on doing cupcakes before we went with the mexican theme. Any ideas or recipes would be great!

Replies

• agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bump

I suppose you could try making baked sopapillas. Not that fancy, I know, but that's all I got. Eager to see what other people think of!
  • lribando
    lribando Posts: 3
    Options
    What about a Key Lime Pie, not really Mexican but might go well the dishes you described. Here is an easy recipe I have used before and can be made lighter with fat free condensed milk and low fat crust:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/easy-key-lime-pie-i/Detail.aspx

Also, Google recipes for flan, dessert tacos (can definitely be lightened up), dulche du leche or coconut cake or caramel cakes, Mexican wedding cookies...
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Not sure of how "healthy" it would be but I can give you a super easy Flan recipe

Actually not healthy at all LOL!!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    flan, thres leche....
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    How about making Fried Banana Icecream.:)
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    How about making Fried Banana Icecream.:)

I think it's actually called a Fried Banana Chimichanga! They are REALLY good!
  • bzmom
    Options
    arroz con leche (rice in milk:sweet and good yum), champurrado (thick yummy drink ALOT of cals but so yumy), capirotada (bread with sweet sauce they make with cheese and rasins on top soooo yummy)

Dam now Im hungry again....

I think the arroz con leche may be your best bet "Health wise" You can tweek it to your liking.....
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    I love Mexican food and my favorite show on Food Network is Mexican Made Easy. I always browse her recipes when looking to make something. She does a dessert every show, so there's lots of ideas besides the normal flan and tres leches. http://www.foodnetwork.com/mexican-made-easy/index.html
  • bzmom
    Options
    Uh I have an excellent one!!!! have you ever had raspas????? if not is like a mexican slushy.

Try this in a blender:

Ice
    Pineapple or mango
    Salt to taste
    Lemon to taste
    and some hot pepper powder (mexican style baby)

YUM!!! this is low calorie since its all natural girlfriend give it a wirl!!!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I would go lazy and slice flour tortillas in strips, mist with a little oil, coat in sugar and cinnamon and bake until crispy. Serve with a little chocolate sauce with cinnamon in it and maybe some strawberries.
  • paige_mom
    paige_mom Posts: 13
    Options
    Bump
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    This is from Steven Raichlen's book Healthy Latin Cooking:

http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/bake-fried-bread-in-spice-scented-syrup-mexico-73756

I haven't made this but sounds good and I have made other things from his book and have enjoyed those.
  • rachelowow
    rachelowow Posts: 47
    Options
    A horchata would be good, its a drink tho, iv treid to with brown right or oatmeal and some fruit!!! :)
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Mexican Fruit Salad

4 cups strawberries, hulled and halved (about 1 1/4 pounds)
    2 cups mangoes, chunks
    2 cups melon, chunks
    1 cup pineapple chunk
    1/2 cup fresh orange juice
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup tequila (optional)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 -1 1/2 teaspoon dried dried ancho chile powder

You could leave out the sugar. I like to use Jalepeno powder instead of ancho chili.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-fruit-salad-170186#ixzz1MpJo3ojE
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Churros! with thick hot chocolate/choco dip.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Tropical fruit salad with mexican cream offered as a topper.

Grilled mango.

Fruit (especially mangos and melons) with chile and lime (If you have the stores around, Tajín is great for this).
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Churros: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/churros/Detail.aspx

Tres Leche: White cake baked, poke small holes all over the cake with serving fork. In a medium sized mixing bowl mix 1 can evaporated milk, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, and 1 pint whipping cream. Combine milks, pour over cake, allow to cool in fridge over night. It is best topped with hand whipped whipped topping, and if you lioke you can top with roasted coconut flakes, or fruit.

Crustos: Cut a stack of tortilla shells like a pizza, deep fry until browned, drain grease, roll in cinnamon and sugar.

Ambrosia Salad: Small can Tangerines, small jar of cherries, small can crushed pineapple, 1 C Coconut flakes, 1/2 bag mini fruit marshmellows, 1 cup fat free plain yogart all tossed together. Chill and serve.