I just cannot...

Options
I started my whole weight loss journey last May at 270 pounds. Today I'm weighing in at 236. For the last four months I have been up and down the same ten pounds. I get down to 227 and then after two weeks back up to 237. For some reason I am having a hard time sticking to my goals the way I did when I started. I feel a bit discouraged because after a year of trying I've only lost about 35 pounds.

Lately, I've just been craving things and eating things that aren't the best options. Every time I say I'm going to give drinking a break (i did for two months when I began my weight loss) I'm back drinking within a week. Walking use to be something I looked forward to and now I just can't seem to get my behind out the door.

I feel as if I have no motivation and just don't know where to start anymore. I know it's one day at a time but the day seems to keep coming and going for me. LOST

Replies

• intrigame23
    intrigame23 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You CAN! My advice: don't rely on motivation. I think you have to develop a solid plan, then develop the discipline to stick to it... but also have the flexibility to adjust the plan when needed. Maybe write out your goals for the year, and focus on a few simple things you believe will get you there.
  • Misslady702
    Misslady702 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You CAN! My advice: don't rely on motivation. I think you have to develop a solid plan, then develop the discipline to stick to it... but also have the flexibility to adjust the plan when needed. Maybe write out your goals for the year, and focus on a few simple things you believe will get you there.

Thank you for your encouraging words. I need to be more flexible instead of just giving up when needed.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sounds really stupid but I make a calender and mark off each day that I went to the gym. There is something super satisfying about looking back and seeing a month with a log of green "G"s (for gym) dotting the pages. Once you get back in the swing it's easier too--whenever I plateau or stall my motivation just tanks... having something else to get you through those times is what works for me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I do think that record keeping is a good way to both hold yourself accountable and to pat yourself on the back for the things you did right.
  • Misslady702
    Options
    agreenid wrote: »
    Sounds really stupid but I make a calender and mark off each day that I went to the gym. There is something super satisfying about looking back and seeing a month with a log of green "G"s (for gym) dotting the pages. Once you get back in the swing it's easier too--whenever I plateau or stall my motivation just tanks... having something else to get you through those times is what works for me.

I will have to try this, thank you!

• mesudegunn
    mesudegunn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi misslady ..
    i'm here for 56days. At first week it was easier to stay motivated because i've lost some weight faster than i do these days. i've never give up truly at this period but so many times i couldnot take mayself eating unhealthy foods. But i know thats the problem all of us have sometimes.. The important thing is keeping the resistance to wrong foods. When that resistance breaks once time, its really hard to get it back.
    may be tomorrow is a good idea for a new start
  • Misslady702
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I do think that record keeping is a good way to both hold yourself accountable and to pat yourself on the back for the things you did right.

Thanks
  • Misslady702
    Options
    mesudegunn wrote: »
    Hi misslady ..
    i'm here for 56days. At first week it was easier to stay motivated because i've lost some weight faster than i do these days. i've never give up truly at this period but so many times i couldnot take mayself eating unhealthy foods. But i know thats the problem all of us have sometimes.. The important thing is keeping the resistance to wrong foods. When that resistance breaks once time, its really hard to get it back.
    may be tomorrow is a good idea for a new start

Yes it's so hard getting back on track. Gotta stick past it.

• heatherzen78
    heatherzen78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've just started again for the umpteenth time in over 2 years. Same thing happens to me. When I dont see the scale move I get so de-motivated and just end up quitting and binging. So instead of weight loss, with this habit/trend, I've actually gained close to 40lbs. But I recently just started again. Like last Sunday. And the second day in, I ran into the same problem of not being able to give up my drinks like lattes soda and beer which leads to overindulgence in food as well. I posted a thread and someone commented that "YOU control what goes into your body, whether its good or bad, YOU control that...its your decision" It hit me as absolute truth. We have the power within ourselves to accomplish our goals. Maybe re-visit your reasons or come up with new reasons for losing weight. I suggest reading the thread...'feeling discouraged' (or something like that) listed close in time to your posting. A lot of really good advice and motivational encouraging things being said. I'm finding that reading these boards and reaching out to others is really helping me stay positive minded and realistic as well as preparing me for all that's to come in the weight loss journey. Someone on that thread said that when you feel discouraged, that's the real battle of weight loss...its not calories or exercise...its pushing through when you are feeling the way you are. that's another thing that hit me as absolute truth. hope this helps!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    agreenid wrote: »

I do something similar. I have my insanity workouts wrote on a calendar. It feels wonderful everytime I can mark off that day. This is going to be my fifth month without missing a workout.
  • heatherzen78
    Options
    btw, i started 2 years at 185...now i''m 223!...but I know I have the power in me to do it. Be happy of your success with the loss of 35 lbs!! Cant really put a time limit on weight loss journey!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Look at it this way... you've lost 35 pounds in the past year and didn't gain any back. That's more than a lot of people can say! Since your weight keeps fluctuating, you've found a formula for maintenance. Congrats! If you want to keep losing you'll just need to calculate how many fewer calories you should be eating than those maintenance calories and get recommitted.

Motivation waxes and wanes. What you need are commitment and dedication. Get into a routine and don't allow yourself the option to not do the things you know you need to do. You don't compromise with yourself on things like brushing your teeth or taking a shower, do you? You just do them every day because you know you need to for your health. Going to the gym and doing what you need to lose weight should be the same type of habit.

I like the idea of marking a calendar but you also might want to sit down and make a list of what you want to accomplish and make yourself some small goals along the way. Post the list somewhere you'll see it every day.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It is almost inevitable that times will come during this process where it feels like you can't/won't/don't want to do it. The only thing you can do is not quit.
  • Misslady702
    Options
    I've just started again for the umpteenth time in over 2 years. Same thing happens to me. When I dont see the scale move I get so de-motivated and just end up quitting and binging. So instead of weight loss, with this habit/trend, I've actually gained close to 40lbs. But I recently just started again. Like last Sunday. And the second day in, I ran into the same problem of not being able to give up my drinks like lattes soda and beer which leads to overindulgence in food as well. I posted a thread and someone commented that "YOU control what goes into your body, whether its good or bad, YOU control that...its your decision" It hit me as absolute truth. We have the power within ourselves to accomplish our goals. Maybe re-visit your reasons or come up with new reasons for losing weight. I suggest reading the thread...'feeling discouraged' (or something like that) listed close in time to your posting. A lot of really good advice and motivational encouraging things being said. I'm finding that reading these boards and reaching out to others is really helping me stay positive minded and realistic as well as preparing me for all that's to come in the weight loss journey. Someone on that thread said that when you feel discouraged, that's the real battle of weight loss...its not calories or exercise...its pushing through when you are feeling the way you are. that's another thing that hit me as absolute truth. hope this helps!

So true, thank you for the response!

• rbritt313
    rbritt313 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This may seem silly. But I put little motivational quotes in my phones calendar. So every day it alerts me a 3:00 pm with things like. "You can do it!. In 3 months you'll thank yourself! Take it 1 lbs at a time! Don't give up today!" It keeps me focus on my goals and makes me smile. this way I do not give into the sugary salty not got for you snack. It's like my own private phone cheerleader :)
  • heatherzen78
    Options
    yes!