New Runner, Any suggestions?

Options
I decided to quit my gym membership until the winter and just start hitting the pavement since it's so warm outside now!! =)

I'm used to using ellipticals and stair-masters for my cardio routines, but now that I started running outside it's a COMPLETELY different ball game, I honestly feel as though running outside is a MORE intense cardio workout than being on a machine!

Anyway, my question is; whenever I run about 5-7 mins in I experience an extreme burn in my calves, I still try to push through, but sometimes it's just too much strain so I'll slow down and speed walk.

Will this stop is due time? Because my breathing has gotten a lot better and I know I could run straight for a lot longer if it weren't for that burning sensation in my calves.

Do you guys experience this or have experienced this when you first started running?

And any tips on how to get the best workout out of running outside is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's a primary complaint for people just starting out running. Depending, two ways to deal with it is stretch out the calves before you start, do a 5 min warm up (brisk walk/slow slow jog) and then start at your normal pace, or vice-versa.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That will go away after a time. It is simply caused by your calves working more than they are used to. As they become conditioned, they will no longer burn.

What you are doing by walking for a bit is the right thing.
  • dkmclean
    dkmclean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store and getting fitted for the correct shoe for your footstrike. Start slow, allowing yourself time to warm up. Do your stretching AFTER your run rather than before. If you still feel soreness, treat with ice and ibuprofen after your runs.
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    runners world magazine has a beginners issue this month!
  • karabeara
    karabeara Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with ChiRunning. http://www.chirunning.com/

I would also say be sure to warm up and have a really good shoe that's right for you. Go to a running store and get fitted if possible.

Hope you enjoy your running! :)
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    That's what happned to me when I first started walking. My calves would hurt so much. They would turn hard as a rock. It was very painful. I just kept going. I don't remember how long it was before the pain stopped. The good thing is that I started integrating some jogging into my speed walk.
  • healthybones
    healthybones Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You might actually want to try to improve your running technique. There are many videos on YouTube that explain the proper way to run.
  • a_reyes9288
    a_reyes9288 Posts: 36
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store and getting fitted for the correct shoe for your footstrike. Start slow, allowing yourself time to warm up. Do your stretching AFTER your run rather than before. If you still feel soreness, treat with ice and ibuprofen after your runs.

I know I may get shot for this, but I use those Keytones sneakers by Reebok that are supposed to help tone and sculpt your legs, my boyfriend always laughs at me cuz he's a runner as well and says that they're just a gimmick lol

I guess I'll go check out a running shoe store and get some new sneakers cuz these ones are pretty beat up anywayz =P
  • dkmclean
    dkmclean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to get fitted for running specific shoes. There are many types: http://www.runningshoetypes.com/

Let professionals fit you and you will avoid many injuries. Acsics, Saucony and Brooks make good shoes and spending $100 or so now will save you in the long run.

Good luck and keep running!
  • halfpint78
    halfpint78 Posts: 2
    Options
    Once you have built up your running you should try some intervals. There are various ways of doing them but it basically involves increasing your pace for a set time/distance then recovering by slowing down again and repeating. I sometimes use lamposts (not sure what the Americans call them??) - do a warm up of a mile or 2 then pick 2/3 lamposts and go as fast as you can between them, jog the next 2/3 then repeat. Intervals are a great work out :)