It's about When......not just how much

Options
it is interesting that My Fitness asks what time you exercised, but not what time you ate. Please encourage them to allow us to record our eating habits and the timing of those habits. I can assure you charting your intake throughout the day, week, month will be highly instructive. The ultimate would be overlaying exercise and intake.
From a very satisfied MF user........

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Which version asks for eating times? Android does not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Can't you put times in the notes if you care?

But in any case you should make the suggestion in the feedback section. TPTB won't see it here, most likely.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Does it ask the time, or amount of time you exercised?

When you eat doesn't matter.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Since I've had my FitBit the app will ask me when I started the exercise I'm logging, in addition to how long. But...

I am not sure it matters when you eat beyond personal preference.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Since I've had my FitBit the app will ask me when I started the exercise I'm logging, in addition to how long. But...

It doesn't.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't ask me what TIME I do anything.

it asks me how long i exercise......

i dont use the phone app though- it never synched right with the pc version for me so i said screw it
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nutrient timing can be a factor in certain things. there are studies that have shown that a protein shake within 30-60 minutes after a workout can aid in recovery, and that a healthy protein-filled meal an hour after that can be beneficial; that your body better absorbs carbs in the morning; that you should avoid carbs late at night because it'll have a propensity to turn to fat.

but that is on the small scale of things. overall, it's how much you eat that really affects your weight, not when or how often.

and if you really want, you can change the names of the meals to times.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have my diary set up to reflect chunks of time that I eat during. I do this mostly for those rare days where I sleep in and don't eat anything until after 8am. ...it's my way of bragging. ;)
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I noticed that when I synced my phone (which counts my steps) I think it does it so it doesn't count the steps you do during the exercise period twice.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    It asks the start time if you have fitbit etc attached.

Because mfp over writes what was recorded by fit bit.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I don't think it does either, but it might for compliance purposes. Like you could compare calories that you ate when eating in different patterns or how adding a 2 pm snack worked vs. a 4 pm one.

I don't focus on that now, but I can see why someone might.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,871 Member
    Options
    lstrader wrote: »
    it is interesting that My Fitness asks what time you exercised, but not what time you ate. Please encourage them to allow us to record our eating habits and the timing of those habits. I can assure you charting your intake throughout the day, week, month will be highly instructive. The ultimate would be overlaying exercise and intake.

Mfp asks the time of exercise so that it can try to coordinate with other connected apps and avoid double counting your exercise activity.

While there exists evidence of a differential effect on weight loss based in the timing of isocaloric meals, I suspect that whatever method gets you to consistently consume less calories over the appropriate period of time will result in the best weight loss outcome for you or me!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Because?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,871 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Because?
    My comment was not self evident? :flushed:

There exists some evidence that the timing and composition of meals may have an effect on weight loss. Two studies that show this are: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0039128X11003515
    (A high protein and high carbogydrate breakfast may overcome the compensatory increase of hunger, increased cravings, and decreased ghrelin suppression that encourage weight regain): and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23357955 (in Spain early lunchers lost more weight than late lunchers)

There is also overwhelming evidence (both anecdotal via MFP, and personal via my own weight loss which normally includes a pretty sizable dinner) that eating less calories over a sufficiently long period of time will result in weight loss, even if you are not an early luncher who eats a high protein and high carbohydrate breakfast.

Thus, I conclude, that whatever the bleep gets you, or me, to consistently consume less calories over an appropriate period of time will result in the best weight loss outcome for you, or me!

Am I missing something here?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Every day I eat at different times. It's never hindered my weight loss. Some nights I eat as late as 11pm. It's never affected my loss.

Calories do not tell the time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lstrader wrote: »

only if you're connected to a step counter does it ask the time

if it bothers you rather than meals set 5 time-slots across the day

I do not believe meal timing makes any considerable difference to weight loss despite some studies quoted above
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I've never been asked what time I eat or exercise. Of course, I don't have a fitbit or anything that calculates it all out for me, just MFP.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Like the poster above, I've changed the names of my meals to reflect chunks of time when I tend to cluster my food throughout the day. Works pretty well.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    that your body better absorbs carbs in the morning; that you should avoid carbs late at night because it'll have a propensity to turn to fat.

Now tell me how that would be. If it better absorbs carbs in the morning that means you get more of the calories in the morning than in the evening. But apparently they rather turn to fat in the evening? Even in a deficit? Even if your glycogen stores aren't full?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I've never been asked what time I eat or exercise. Of course, I don't have a fitbit or anything that calculates it all out for me, just MFP.

Mine includes start time in the exercise entry. I normally enter in my computer/on the website, not in the app--wonder if that's the difference.

I ignore it now that I don't have my FitBit syncing with MFP, however. It's important to use the times if you do, which is probably why I noticed them in the first place.