Doctors Weight Chart

Options
Hey!

Just curious how everyone feels about the Doctor's Weight Chart that says what you should weigh for you height? I feel like mine is a bit out there, at 6'3 I'm supposed to weigh 180. What do you guys think about that? What do they say that you are supposed to weigh for your height?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    There is another topic right about this same thing. Well its about the accuracy of the BMI index. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/244497-still-overweight-by-bmi-standards

Personally I think that it depends on how fit you are.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    At my thinnest, I was a size 0 and my ribs were sticking out - I was overweight according to BMI. I think it does not apply well to anyone with large bone structure, or high muscle mass for their body types.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    try others, compare.

freedieting.com has one
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/ideal_body_weight.htm

so does web md
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

web mds is very detailed info.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Just curious how everyone feels about the Doctor's Weight Chart that says what you should weigh for you height? I feel like mine is a bit out there, at 6'3 I'm supposed to weigh 180. What do you guys think about that? What do they say that you are supposed to weigh for your height?

Thanks in advance!!

That seems reasonable. The rule of thumb that I go by is for a woman at 5' should be 100 lbs and add 5lbs for every inch, that would put you at 175, pretty close. For a man the numbers are at 5' 106 and add 6lbs for every inch. This is due to the higher muscle % men naturally have. Now if you are a small frame take that result and - 10% if you are a large from add 10%. These are "ideal" weights, and do not take into account BF%, or amount of muscle.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    web md says 148-199 for your height
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I personally go by "feel", in other words, it is more important for me to feel good/fit then to see a number on the scale. The number on the scale can help, but its not the be-all-end-all to me.

Having said that, 6'3", 180 is tiny. I'm 5'8" and my GOAL weight is 180... everyone's different, but I would ask your doctor if it is a realistic goal for you... or one that you even want (thin vs. fit vs. healthy weight vs. etc...)

**EDIT - read what eric said and agree... but realize that +- 10% can mean a lot.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Thanks in advance!!

That seems reasonable. The rule of thumb that I go by is for a woman at 5' should be 100 lbs and add 5lbs for every inch, that would put you at 175, pretty close. For a man the numbers are at 5' 106 and add 6lbs for every inch. This is due to the higher muscle % men naturally have. Now if you are a small frame take that result and - 10% if you are a large from add 10%. These are "ideal" weights, and do not take into account BF%, or amount of muscle.

5' and 100 pounds...

Ahh that makes me laugh.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Thanks in advance!!

5' and 100 pounds...

Ahh that makes me laugh.

really how so? Is it too heavy or not heavy enough, in your opinion?

My mother is 5'1 and has weighed between 105 and 112 her entire adult life. She isn't that thin either, looks normal.
    My wife is 5'4" 121, and does not look that thin, both fit that rule of thumb for women, and myself fit the rule of thumb for a man, within 2-5 lbs.
  • mykaylasmom
    Options
    I am 5'4" and the Chart says I am supposed to weigh no more that 145 pounds..That was easier when I was a teenager and in my early 20's because I was in the military. For the record I HAVE NOT EVER BEEN that weight as an adult. After I starved myself to get to that weight I failed the scale every month at weigh in. I have a lot of muscle, I am a farm girl.

The only fat I have left on my body is in the tummy area, I weighed in at 193 last weigh in for the Doctors. According to the BMI I am morbid obese..I am so not morbid obese. The doctors have said to ignore that chart.

Then again..food for thought.. Actor/wrestler Dwyane "the rock" Johnson..according to the BMI Charts falls into that slot as well...But really who is going to tell him he is fat LOL...
  • brandi2258
    brandi2258 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information and responses! I really appreciate it, and it's nice to see that I'm not the only one that thinks this way. But I also do understand that everyone's different!! :happy:
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Thanks in advance!!

5' and 100 pounds...

Ahh that makes me laugh.

My mother is 5'1 and has weighed between 105 and 112 her entire adult life. She isn't that thin either, looks normal.
    My wife is 5'4" 121, and does not look that thin, both fit that rule of thumb for women, and myself fit the rule of thumb for a man, within 2-5 lbs.

I'd be curious what about that makes you laugh as well. I am 5' 8/12" with a large frame. Based on his guidelines, I come up with 142.5 plus 10% for my frame, putting me at 156.75. My current goal is 155 (tho I may choose to alter that to 150 down the road). Right now I'm at 161 and I've already lost 104 lbs. His guidelines seem to make good sense and while my current height/weight are finally in the 'normal' range on the BMI scale, they are more squarely into that range if I adjust my weight to 155. I am also rather muscular having played a lot of sports, so that affects my BMI a bit, but I would still rather be well into the middle of "normal" (which I read as "healthy") than hovering on the outside edge.
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    I am 5'4" and the Chart says I am supposed to weigh no more that 145 pounds..That was easier when I was a teenager and in my early 20's because I was in the military. For the record I HAVE NOT EVER BEEN that weight as an adult. After I starved myself to get to that weight I failed the scale every month at weigh in. I have a lot of muscle, I am a farm girl.

The only fat I have left on my body is in the tummy area, I weighed in at 193 last weigh in for the Doctors. According to the BMI I am morbid obese..I am so not morbid obese. The doctors have said to ignore that chart.

Then again..food for thought.. Actor/wrestler Dwyane "the rock" Johnson..according to the BMI Charts falls into that slot as well...But really who is going to tell him he is fat LOL...

For anyone who is muscular, a BMI chart is basically a waste of time. I have a friend who has body fat of less than 10% (right around 8 with a goal of 6) - he is a competative body builder ... and like you, the BMI scale says based on his height and weight, he is morbidly obese. He is ANYTHING but obese. I can bounce a quarter of his abs :) Good for you for recognizing that the BMI chart is not for everyone and not letting it affect you! :)
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

The Rock is not fat at all.. Hes YUMMY! LOL
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    Hey!

Thanks in advance!!

5' and 100 pounds...

Ahh that makes me laugh.

I'd be curious what about that makes you laugh as well. I am 5' 8/12" with a large frame. Based on his guidelines, I come up with 142.5 plus 10% for my frame, putting me at 156.75. My current goal is 155 (tho I may choose to alter that to 150 down the road). Right now I'm at 161 and I've already lost 104 lbs. His guidelines seem to make good sense and while my current height/weight are finally in the 'normal' range on the BMI scale, they are more squarely into that range if I adjust my weight to 155. I am also rather muscular having played a lot of sports, so that affects my BMI a bit, but I would still rather be well into the middle of "normal" (which I read as "healthy") than hovering on the outside edge.

I'm 5' tall, weigh 133, and wear a size 4 petite. At goal weight 122-124, I'll be in size 2-4.

Doctor's charts tell me, in nearly every case, that I'm very overweight.

That's why I laugh.
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    Hey!

Thanks in advance!!

5' and 100 pounds...

Ahh that makes me laugh.

I'm 5' tall, weigh 133, and wear a size 4 petite. At goal weight 122-124, I'll be in size 2-4.

That's why I laugh.

You don't mention what your frame is and/or how muscular you are?? If you have a larger frame or are at all muscular, that will make a difference. At 5', I could see 122-124 being a very healthy weight (regardless of any chart) and 133 is not that far from your goal :) But it's also not going to be a perfect match for everyone - just happened to match for me :)
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    Hey!

Thanks in advance!!

5' and 100 pounds...

Ahh that makes me laugh.

That's why I laugh.

You don't mention what your frame is and/or how muscular you are?? If you have a larger frame or are at all muscular, that will make a difference. At 5', I could see 122-124 being a very healthy weight (regardless of any chart) and 133 is not that far from your goal :) But it's also not going to be a perfect match for everyone - just happened to match for me :)

Yeah, I'm muscular, larger framed. The charts usually are pretty close, but there's always outliers.