Logging atomically

Options
GWehsling
GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
edited May 2015 in Getting Started
Hi. I've been here a month or two and before that some time. I'm not looking to lose weight or at least, I don't feel I have to. I'm here to get my food discipline sorted, it's been a mess with lifestyle and other static leading me to make quick and poor eating decisions lately and I want to be stronger and have more energy.

I'm 178cm, 89kg, male, 41 (and single if you cute).

This week I gave blood on Wednesday. I actually failed the entry for the first time ever on the grounds I didn't have a high enough haemoglobin count, on a third test, I passed by one point, so they took my pint (actually about 500ml) and I felt really poorly since. I haven't been to gym and probably won't go now until Monday again (I'm still a bit light headed, but feeling better each hour). I've been giving blood and similar products since I was a teen. Never failed before.

Looking back on my food diary I wondered how things could have got to this now that I am actively watching what I eat and I have come to the conclusion I may not be eating enough for the activity level I am at. I am logging everything except cheeky bites or licking the spoon etc. but I'm actually only logging activities that are planned, like running the lake or going to gym - I don't log things like riding my bike to work or a friends house in the same way I don't log mowing the lawn because that's part of life - even though mowing the lawn/clipping trees/managing the vegetable garden/recycling the composting bins/etc. is a harder workout than gym. Certainly cycling to some places is longer period of time than time in the gym...

I ate over Wednesday night and last night I filled up as much as my belly could hold to try and get myself back to strength again...

The age old question begs - should I be logging atomically? I'm not looking to body sculpt or even lose any weight, but should I really be digitally measuring every spoonful? It seems like that would be too much.

Yeah, I know the answer I'm expecting, but want some opinions on this level of micro management.

Food diary and exercise diary key is 'ThisIsTheKey' without the quotes. I'll change the key in a week or two if you are reading this then and can't access.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    atomically? Please define what you mean by this, as it doesn't seem to make sense in context.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    GWehsling wrote: »
    Hi. I've been here a month or two and before that some time. I'm not looking to lose weight or at least, I don't feel I have to. I'm here to get my food discipline sorted, it's been a mess with lifestyle and other static leading me to make quick and poor eating decisions lately and I want to be stronger and have more energy.

I'm 178cm, 89kg, male, 41 (and single if you cute).

This week I gave blood on Wednesday. I actually failed the entry for the first time ever on the grounds I didn't have a high enough haemoglobin count, on a third test, I passed by one point, so they took my pint (actually about 500ml) and I felt really poorly since. I haven't been to gym and probably won't go now until Monday again (I'm still a bit light headed, but feeling better each hour). I've been giving blood and similar products since I was a teen. Never failed before.

Looking back on my food diary I wondered how things could have got to this now that I am actively watching what I eat and I have come to the conclusion I may not be eating enough for the activity level I am at. I am logging everything except cheeky bites or licking the spoon etc. but I'm actually only logging activities that are planned, like running the lake or going to gym - I don't log things like riding my bike to work or a friends house in the same way I don't log mowing the lawn because that's part of life - even though mowing the lawn/clipping trees/managing the vegetable garden/recycling the composting bins/etc. is a harder workout than gym. Certainly cycling to some places is longer period of time than time in the gym...

I ate over Wednesday night and last night I filled up as much as my belly could hold to try and get myself back to strength again...

The age old question begs - should I be logging atomically? I'm not looking to body sculpt or even lose any weight, but should I really be digitally measuring every spoonful? It seems like that would be too much.

Yeah, I know the answer I'm expecting, but want some opinions on this level of micro management.

Food diary and exercise diary key is 'ThisIsTheKey' without the quotes. I'll change the key in a week or two if you are reading this then and can't access.

A. What are "similar products?

B. What does logging atomically mean?

C. Does a low hemoglobin test indicate anemia? Is this something where you just need more salt or maybe you need to eat a bit more?

• daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So you're looking to maintain rather than drop/gain weight?

In which case, it's up to you whether you feel it's worth logging literally everything. If you're literally just more concerned with healthy eating, use MFP to track what you're eating and keep an eye on your weight. If you aren't weighing and tracking everything, MFP won't be accurate but you can use it for an estimate of where you're at in terms of macros and nutrients, and use your scales to see if your weight is actually changing. If your weight starts to go too far in a direction that you're not happy with, I would recommend weighing and tracking everything for a while to get back to where you want to be.

I, personally, will continue to log even after I hit my target weight. Primarily because I don't want to end up gaining weight again and secondly because I like to be accurate.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm assuming "atomical" means logging the food in very fine detail ("down to the atom, if you will). Whatever your reason is for logging your food, you need to keep it very detailed and very accurate. You're using your food diary to analyze something (whether it's weight loss or in your case, to figure out your overall nutrition). Yes, you do need to get into the minutiae. Most of us here advocate using a food scale and logging every single bite
  • intrigare
    intrigare Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I checked your food diary. I'm not an expert, but it looks okay to me. You have sources of iron in there, so I'm not sure why you'd be low on hemoglobin. How often do you donate blood?

Have you lost weight? That's the big indicator of whether you have a calorie deficit.

Keep in mind that even if you try to log everything obsessively, the calorie count is still nothing more than an estimate. The idea is to pay attention to what signs your body is giving you. Maybe you need to eat more red meat, which is an excellent source of iron. If that doesn't help your hemoglobin count, maybe you should see a doctor.
  • GWehsling
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy responses. Here are some answers to the questions:

Atomically - probably not to the atom, but yes to the minutiae of detail. This is the part where I thought of the answer I would expect before I asked the question. I will get a more decent scale today, I will be more precise as I can now see this is the right way to workout the problems that exist. I have my kids this weekend, so there are regular, healthy meals. It is on days I don't have my kids that I am without discipline.

Similar products - well, other body fluids.... just kidding. I give blood and plasma on and off during the year, depends on time and availability. Plasma is more draining but I feel better in a few hours/after a big meal but whole blood seems to take a day or two to recover from and I feel a bit light headed..

Not sure of salt levels, but that's interesting because I had problems with cramps until I started a meal supplement. I did, by process of elimination, work out the cramps were related to salt although I am sure anaemia is iron related, apparently, it is a lot of other things, too.

Thanks for your considerations...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    When's the last time you had a physical examination? there's certain bloodwork they always do and your hemoglobin would be one of those things. A doctor can tell you if you may need iron supplements. I need them no matter what I eat, and I don't have monthlies any more (surgery) but that doesn't help either. On the other hand perhaps a dietary change would work, but either way, I would let a doctor take a look at your general condition and see what kind of state you're in.
  • GWehsling
    Options
    intrigare wrote: »
    I checked your food diary. I'm not an expert, but it looks okay to me. You have sources of iron in there, so I'm not sure why you'd be low on hemoglobin. How often do you donate blood?

Have you lost weight? That's the big indicator of whether you have a calorie deficit.

Keep in mind that even if you try to log everything obsessively, the calorie count is still nothing more than an estimate. The idea is to pay attention to what signs your body is giving you. Maybe you need to eat more red meat, which is an excellent source of iron. If that doesn't help your hemoglobin count, maybe you should see a doctor.

Hi. I started at 95+kgs and am now ~89kgs since February, so it's not a phenominal loss and I'm starting to build muscles now so I expect that I won't lose anymore weight. For my height and body type/build I can't see me at 82kgs (my supposedly 'ideal' weight) and I feel far from unhealthy. I usually give whole blood every three months and only 500mls (about 500gms, I guess)

I guess I should have worded the question - do I need to log everything atomically as it's all an estimation anyway?

I can't eat any animals, it's just not good for them, but I do eat dairy products and not a lot of it.

• GWehsling
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    When's the last time you had a physical examination? there's certain bloodwork they always do and your hemoglobin would be one of those things. A doctor can tell you if you may need iron supplements. I need them no matter what I eat, and I don't have monthlies any more (surgery) but that doesn't help either. On the other hand perhaps a dietary change would work, but either way, I would let a doctor take a look at your general condition and see what kind of state you're in.

My brains initial response to this was - nope, because, I are man. But you are right 'everybody' knows that when a man goes over 40, regular checkups (and check-ins) are advised, so probably this is a good place and time to get this done.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll post the results when they come out, in a week or two....
  • intrigare
    intrigare Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I guess I should have worded the question - do I need to log everything atomically as it's all an estimation anyway?

I can't eat any animals, it's just not good for them, but I do eat dairy products and not a lot of it.

Thank you for the clarification. No you don't need to weigh the spoon before and after you lick it, but a problem people run into is deciding not to log every little thing, those things add up, and then they gain weight even when MFP tells them they should be losing.

On the other end of the spectrum is the logging demands of MFP could become too burdensome to make it a worthwhile tool. So find your individual place in between those two extremes in order to best accomplish your goals. MFP is a tool to use in a way that is most useful for you to accomplish your goals.

You can find other sources of iron with a quick google search. There are also different kinds of iron supplements, some are more expensive than others and some are easier on the stomach than others.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It may be worth mentioning that iron supplementation should be undertaken with doctor supervision. It is one of the supplements your body isn't able to rid itself of the excess and therefore can become toxic. There are more causes of anemia (low HgB) than just iron deficiency. I firmly support physician consultation in this case. OP, hopefully it is something that is easily fixed with dietary adjustments. Good luck!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Long term regular blood donor here; I give every 8 weeks.

Get a check-up. Be sure to inform your doctor that you are a regular donor; your doc will then ensure you are screened properly. If your haemoglobin is low, then your ferritin (iron stores) are almost certainly also low. Indeed you can even have acceptable haemoglobin levels (which blood clinics use as a screening test) but still have unacceptable/unhealthy ferritin levels. More info.

Assuming you don't have other iron-related issues (some people store too much which can be dangerous; others with certain medical problems can easily become anemic), your doc will almost certainly prescribe iron supplements.

Since you aren't a meat eater you fall into the category of blood donor that is *most difficult to manage iron* as "heme" iron found in meats especially red meats is the easiest for your body to assimilate while plant-based non-heme iron is more difficult.

It isn't impossible to be vegetarian or even vegan and be a healthy donor, but you'll need to work at it.

I manage my iron levels with 800% RDA (approx) iron capsules called Feramax (easy to digest, seems effective) that I take for 10 days after donation and then I continue with a simple multi-vitamin containing 100% RDA iron dose for the rest of my inter-donation period. So far so good.

Before I did this I once failed the screening and twice came close. I used to manage iron with diet alone but after receiving a warning notice that my ferritin was too low even though my haemoglobin was actually decently high I decided to use supplements.

My next donation comes up soon; this will be the first while I've been aggressively following calories in / calories out plus running more than ever (which can impact haemoglobin IIRC). I've been paying particular attention to iron in but really have no idea what to expect. I feel pretty good so fingers crossed.

• kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    intrigare wrote: »

Hi. I started at 95+kgs and am now ~89kgs since February, so it's not a phenominal loss and I'm starting to build muscles now so I expect that I won't lose anymore weight. For my height and body type/build I can't see me at 82kgs (my supposedly 'ideal' weight) and I feel far from unhealthy. I usually give whole blood every three months and only 500mls (about 500gms, I guess)

I think your health is more important than an animals. I also think a big juicy steak would cure any ailment ;)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough for your activity. :)

I have been vegan for short periods. Right now I am eating mostly vegetarian with some animal products. Thoughts:

>Track iron instead of sugars so that you can keep track of iron in dark leafy greens, raisins, apricots, beans, blackstrap molasses. Eat foods with Vit C at the same time as the iron-rich foods to increase absorption. Most men who are eating enough calories for their age/ height/ weight are getting enough iron unless they are performing lots of exercise.

>Rethink your activity settings and how you count your exercise.

>Atomically log for three weeks so that you can get a clear picture of what is going on.

>Seriously take a break from giving blood and plasma. Six months is good. Longer is better.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Most men who are eating enough calories for their age/ height/ weight are getting enough iron unless they are performing lots of exercise.

>Seriously take a break from giving blood and plasma. Six months is good. Longer is better.

Or... unless they are regular donors. Worse if they are performing lots of exercise, cutting back foods without carefully allowing for iron intake, *and* are regular donors. The trifecta of iron deficiency issues for men.

Totally agree with your comment about taking a break. I've done this myself. Get things under control before donating again.
  • GWehsling
    Options
    A follow up, as mentioned: The doctor's offices called to say that I was a reasonably healthy male with no actual concerns. My iron and B12 were below average, but not 'low' enough for concern. His opinion mirrors mine; that I have given blood at a period of very high and frequent physical activity. He suggested a multivitamin/multimineral or minor diet change.

It does sound like he was suggesting I should just 'harden up' or as the expression goes in NZ, "take a concrete pill".

Thanks for all the advice and support. I do feel better today. I went for my first run in a while last night and felt okay.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the good news follow up. Keep taking care of yourself. :)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to look at how you have your activity level programmed into MFP as it has probably changed since you first started. If you have sedentary selected, then yes, you should be logging mowing the lawn. If you have lightly active, you may need to log riding your bike to work, if you are also doing other things. If you have the right activity level selected, you should only have to log the extra exercise, as you are doing, to get the right calorie goal.
  • GWehsling
    Options
    @MzManiak You're spot on. I only looked at this again this week and realised that I have now gotten to the point where I am using the stairs all the time, sometimes 8-10 times a day (I work on the 4th floor) and while I technically have a desk job, I also have a moderate maintenance role, fixing things, carrying things to light construction work. I also spend all of my time at home with arts, crafts and woodwork etc. carrying around and taking care of my 25kg, 5 yo twins, the list goes on and I don;t give myself credit for it. I am, as some friends say, never sedentary (except for a few hours a day that require screen time).