Simple Rules of Thumb to help lose weight

Does anyone have simple rules of thumb that they use when trying to figure out what to eat, what not to eat and how much to eat?

Here are three that I use:

1) If I am going to eat deep fried foods, I must make it form scratch at home. No restaurants and no prepackaged. The process required really reduces my consumption.

2) When checking the ingredient list on grocery store items, I try to never buy anything that has "Sugar" or any of the other fancy names for sugar in the first three items of the ingredient list.

3) when reading the nutrition label, I look for foods with single digits besides sugars and fats and double digits besides proteins.

What are your rules?

Replies

• Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    I eat less than I burn. That's about it.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    I usually just eat the same thing everyday anyway, so:

1. Eat the same food
    2. Make it fit my calorie/macro goal
    3. ???
    4. Profit.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Mom advice: If you're not hungry enough to eat something healthy, you're not hungry.

This doesn't mean I don't have treats, but it reminds me that I should eat for fuel, not for entertainment/emotional needs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    what I want, when I want and how much I want as long as IIFYM...and keeps me in goal...even that doesn't matter sometimes...

ie after a dance couple weeks ago I wanted poutine and a quarter pounder so I got it and ate it all...but I could afford it calorie wise and I was hungry.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I eat three meals a day that are each about 500 calories. I exercise when I can. Anything left over goes toward snack food.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    When I eat energy-dense foods, I don't multi-task. I focus my attention on what I am eating (and, if relevant, the social circumstances). I don't walk, I don't watch television, I don't shop while eating energy dense foods.

I do occasionally choose food for entertainment/emotional needs. I'm honest with myself about having done so, and the consequences and trade-offs of my choice.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    1) plan the night before (log before I eat, not after, and edit accordingly)
    2) stick to similar meals most days to take the guesswork out
    3) have a plan before going to a special event (I'll drink two glasses of wine, skip the appetizers, load up on veggies and have a small amount of something I really want)
    4) exercise to earn more calories...even if it means pacing or marching in place when I'm doing something with the kids.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    I don't have rules of thumb. I just eat less than I burn. Pretty much all that matters :)
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Lexicpt wrote: »

Ditto!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    My simple rules:

1. FOOOOOOOOOD.

2. Skating/walking/beginner shred!

That is all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I don't have rules of thumb. I just eat less than I burn. Pretty much all that matters :)

same here. Too many rules complicate things. ..

• DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Sordova wrote: »
    Does anyone have simple rules of thumb that they use when trying to figure out what to eat, what not to eat and how much to eat?

1) If I am going to eat deep fried foods, I must make it form scratch at home. No restaurants and no prepackaged. The process required really reduces my consumption.

2) When checking the ingredient list on grocery store items, I try to never buy anything that has "Sugar" or any of the other fancy names for sugar in the first three items of the ingredient list.

3) when reading the nutrition label, I look for foods with single digits besides sugars and fats and double digits besides proteins.

What are your rules?

I real like fried foods and I have a fryer at home but I always worry about how I estimate the calories on it. Any ideas?
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member

^^^ This... It's no more complicated for me than that... (at least for now)

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    General rule is make things at home - secondary rule is to make everything with 50% vegetables incorporated in my meals or serve them with an equal serving of vegetables for every meal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    edited May 2015
    No rules.. . .

okay, sigh, I log it before I eat it.
  • Cottonboy17
    Cottonboy17 Posts: 1 Member

• SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Set your goals on the site and eat the calories you're told while staying within your macros, it's really that simple. There no trick to weight loss, just hard work and determination.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Eat less, move more.
  • BananaAssassin
    BananaAssassin Posts: 44 Member
    edited May 2015
    1. Eat in a deficit, but eat enough!
    2. Drink 2-3 litres of water daily.
    3. Workouts should be short & intense.
    4. Prepare and store your meals weekly.
    5. Don't eat it until it's been logged!
    6. Get minimum of 7 hours sleep.
    7. Consume enough protein.
    8. Lift heavy weights 2-3x weekly.
    9. Throw away your scale.
    10. Eat carbs on the days you exercise.
    11. WEIGH YOUR FOOD.
    12. If you can't pronounce the ingredients, don't eat it.
    13. Buy a goal outfit and hang it on your bedroom door.
    14. Be patient.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Sordova wrote: »

What are your rules?

to point two, so you buy nothing at the grocery store?

my rules

log everything
    hit my micro/macors
    no food is off limits
    use a food scale
    lift heavy