Motivation to workout going away :(

Options
For some reason my motivation to workout/go to workout classes has just been sucked out of me. I'm still pushing myself to go, but I just hate EVERY SINGLE SECOND of it. I'm not sure what's going on. Anyone ever have this problem? It's been going on for a couple weeks getting worse and worse :(

Replies

• KingsGirl4
    KingsGirl4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm losing my drive and I feel I'm getting burnt out. But I'm still making myself do my workout. I'm a big Seinfeld lover and one of Jerry Seinfeld's theories is "don't break the chain." He was on a mission to brainstorm every single day until he had a full set of material and he would make a big red X on his calendar for every day that he accomplished his daily goal. The point is not to "break the chain" of X's. So I'm using that right now just to get through this next month (I'm about to start month 2 of Insanity).

dont-break-the-chain.jpg?w=350&h=200&crop=1
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes trial and error to figure out what works best for you. I've done a couple of accountability things along with finding activities I enjoy in order to keep me going.

First, I made a goal to be active for an entire year and see where I was at that point. So, I printed a page with 12 squares that each had a month and a little picture. At the end of each month, if I was active during that month, I cross it off with a colored sharpie. I just crossed off my 8th month today.

I'm in a few groups where we have boards to post our workouts. So, each time I go to the gym, afterwards I report to the groups what I accomplished that day. And it doesn't matter if I'm doing their program or not. I'm in stronglifts group and NROLFW and I post in both. Right now I'm doing NROLFW but will do something else after I make it through stage 7, but I will still be able to report my lifting and even the cardio in both groups.

I also have different fitness goals. I am signed up for a 5k and sure, I could walk the fun run and it'd be fine, but my goal is to jog a whole 5k, so I'm doing Couch to 5k. My first one is in June and I am also signed up for another fun one in August. I started walking in September and this week I am doing 3 days where I jog 25 minutes. The jogging is hard during but feels great after.

Plus, I listen to music. I <3 music. It helps me exercise, write and even edit. I should be doing that now though, instead of posting online. :wink:

And sometimes motivation is just not there, then it's time to do it anyways. Or find something better that you will want to do.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You should definitely find some workouts that you'd enjoy and mix it up every now & then. Variety will make things more interesting and maybe make it easier for you to get them done. Also I know for me having a lot of MFP friends who are active keeps me motivated to workout because I keep seeing all of their workouts in my newsfeed and I want to be in the newsfeed too. :-) Having a great MFP support system has definitely helped me to be consistent and stay motivated.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    Options
    For some reason my motivation to workout/go to workout classes has just been sucked out of me. I'm still pushing myself to go, but I just hate EVERY SINGLE SECOND of it. I'm not sure what's going on. Anyone ever have this problem? It's been going on for a couple weeks getting worse and worse :(

Do something different.

I like spinning classes and yoga classes, but can only do them for short periods of time ... once a week for 10 weeks and then not again for 6 months, or on a drop-in basis, or something like that. It has to do with being locked into a schedule ... I prefer flexibility.

But you don't have to exercise in a gym or in a class.

Go for a 30 min walk at lunch time to get some fresh air and sunshine in the middle of the day.
    Go on a hike in the country on the weekend. Bring a camera to take photos of the scenery.
    Go for a bicycle ride around your neighbourhood.
    Grab a few friends and play a round of golf ... walk, of course.
    Rent a kayak.
    Go swimming.

There are heaps of things you can do to get moving. Do something different every day! :)

• Machka9
    Options
    This is a list of sports from Wikipedia ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

If you really wanted to mix things up ... start from the top and work your way down. :smiley:

• Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I get like this I take a few days off of telling myself I have to workout (stick to my schedule) and just workout if I feel like it. In those few days I just focus more on the food. More often than not my motivation comes back within about 3-4 days but if not at least I have given my tired body a break. I've lost just over 60lbs in total so it works for me

• meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. i'm trying to push through and skip the classes for walking the dogs 3-4m when I don't feel like going to the gym. i am NOT good at "going to the gym", i'm one of those people that actually can get all the way there, try working out for 5 minutes and give up and just go home. that's why the classes are good for me, it's hard to sneak out of them! maybe i'll give one, like bodypump, a break for a while and try spinning.
    before i started the gym classes i was just walking and not making any progress (granted some of that was due to not tracking calories as accurately as i should have) so i need to stick with them. maybe i'm just in a mental rut or something.
    sorry, rambling...
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    This is a list of sports from Wikipedia ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

If you really wanted to mix things up ... start from the top and work your way down. :smiley:

Oh yah! i'm going to try some of these and see if i like any of them!
  • meghanduprey
    Options

Do something different.

I like spinning classes and yoga classes, but can only do them for short periods of time ... once a week for 10 weeks and then not again for 6 months, or on a drop-in basis, or something like that. It has to do with being locked into a schedule ... I prefer flexibility.

Go for a 30 min walk at lunch time to get some fresh air and sunshine in the middle of the day.
    Go on a hike in the country on the weekend. Bring a camera to take photos of the scenery.
    Rent a kayak.
    Go swimming.

There are heaps of things you can do to get moving. Do something different every day! :)

when the water gets warmer i'm definitely going to break out my kayak, it's one of my favorite things <3
    i want to do more swimming, i started going but had to take a break because i got a tattoo, it's been enough time i can go back, thanks for reminding me!
  • Machka9
    Options

Do something different.

Rent a kayak.
    Go swimming.

when the water gets warmer i'm definitely going to break out my kayak, it's one of my favorite things <3
    i want to do more swimming, i started going but had to take a break because i got a tattoo, it's been enough time i can go back, thanks for reminding me!

:)

That's the way! Have fun with it. :)

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    KingsGirl4 wrote: »
    I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm losing my drive and I feel I'm getting burnt out. But I'm still making myself do my workout. I'm a big Seinfeld lover and one of Jerry Seinfeld's theories is "don't break the chain." He was on a mission to brainstorm every single day until he had a full set of material and he would make a big red X on his calendar for every day that he accomplished his daily goal. The point is not to "break the chain" of X's. So I'm using that right now just to get through this next month (I'm about to start month 2 of Insanity).

dont-break-the-chain.jpg?w=350&h=200&crop=1

There are "don't break the chain" apps if you want an easy visual to look at. Search for "habit" or similar keywords.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I can understand, but you just need to be focused and commit. Less thinking and just go and do it. Make sure the it makes sense and is a good use of your time. Try and make it soemthing you enjoy. Going out of habit, because you understand the reason for it (getting fit, burning some calories as a bonus) and because it moivates you the weight loss plan is working, end up pushing you there. Change classes, do exercise elsewhere and that might make it more fun.

Not breaking the chain is a good idea, but remember to take one full days rest per week, so count a rest day as an actual red cross.