Do I need to get a personal trainer?

Options
I'm a beginner and I have just started to train like 5-6 times a week for the last two months.

With the machines weights its pretty easy to learn but what do you suggest as far as deadlift, squats barbels and dumbbell workouts...

Do I need to have a trainer to show me how to do it right? or can I learn by myself?

I don't have a lot of money to spend on it and would like to see what you guys did at the beginning ?

Can I learn technique by myself??

thank you very much!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of youtube videos, which can help show the basics.

I might consider purchasing one or two sessions with a trainer, simply to learn how to use the equipment and the proper form. If you have a gym membership, a machine orientation may be included.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this self-taught. Word of caution: Start with low or no weight, practice the form (video the sessions and compare to the best videos you find). Slowly progress with added weight. Get stronger, feel better, lift more, repeat. And above all, enjoy! You’re on the right track!

Trainers are good when you don’t have the time to research and train yourself or when you need motivation (an appointment to show up). Since you don’t seem to require either, you can do this yourself. This coming from a CPT, so no, we’re not all money greedy *kitten* trying to swindle newbies. A good trainer wants you to learn and get better and eventually, not need them at all.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The problem is many trainers don't know how to perform the big lifts. Ive seen literally only one trainer at my gym who can squat and deadlift properly. The rest are quarter squatters and snap-city deadlifters.

If you're able to find a competent trainer then it's well worth it. Otherwise you're throwing money away and learning bad habits. That's probably the worst part..because then it takes a long time to forget the incorrect movement patterns and learn the proper ones.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    The problem is many trainers don't know how to perform the big lifts. Ive seen literally only one trainer at my gym who can squat and deadlift properly. The rest are quarter squatters and snap-city deadlifters.

If you're able to find a competent trainer then it's well worth it. Otherwise you're throwing money away and learning bad habits. That's probably the worst part..because then it takes a long time to forget the incorrect movement patterns and relearn the proper ones.

This. I lucked out when I started lifting and found an amazing trainer whose main focus was on the big lifts. But if I ever want to double-check my form or am performing a new lift for the first time, I consult The Google. You can also film yourself and compare to the form videos online.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I could not be lifting how I lift now without my personal trainer, he was the best. I can't imagine learning everything you need for correct form for, say, the deadlift. Five months into lifting, he was still correcting the minute details of my form. There is no way I'd learn what I've learned through just videos and books. I'm 52, started just last fall, fairly weak, some long-standing back/foot/knee issues; and form was of the utmost importance to both of us (still is). Had the best trainer. Now I'm on my own, sadly. There are no other trainers at my gym like him at this point (he left a couple weeks ago). I haven't even done the deadlift since he left, sniff....
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of instructional videos on youtube, as well as sites like bodybuilding.com

But it might be a good investment to hire a personal trainer for several sessions, to help you set up a program,
    realistic goals, and learn how to use machines at the gym. Also, learn how to progress as you get stronger.
    You don't need to have someone standing over you every time you exercise. Just be clear up front what you expect
    the person to do for you, get it in the written contract that you both sign.
    Here's where you can search for people in your area who are certified by the American College of Sports Medicine:
    http://members.acsm.org/source/custom/Online_locator/OnlineLocator.cfm
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely learn using YouTube videos. I personally like bodybuilding.com and there are some things for you to print and take with you to the gym. I had hired a trainer and he was horrible. Waste of money. I ended up working out at home but sometimes miss the heavier weights that I used at the gym. I take my iPad with me the times I do go and use my workout videos that are streamed (p90x is my 'go to') and can still ask a trainer for quick tips if I need to.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends. Can you spend a bit of time watching videos or other people and then practice yourself? Can you have someone show you a few baisc things at the gym? A gym employee or someone else who seems more experienced? Not show you a full routine, but practise the basic moves you are concerned about with no weights or very low weights, and then ask someone to check your form and tell you if you are doing ok. There are some things, like how to do a proper deadlift or squat, that I do not think you can really learn as a beginner from videos only. But, if you do practice, just having someone spend 5 minutes to tell you you are overextending your back or need to look lower etc, might be all that you need. And from my experience, most people at the gym would be happy to help. Make sure to ask someone you have seen doing similar lifts, not just someone who looks fit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I get hired a lot for just one session just so I can correct form and spot any issues that a person can't see themselves. You can't see yourself from the back when you squat or do a deadlift. What may look right from the front, may not from the back. So even just small adjustments can make the difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    love my trainer - meant to do it for 6 weeks am on month 11 now

do I need him? .. probably not .. I could've learnt it from youtube

does he correct my form, work me harder and push me further than I ever thought possible and constantly adapt my programme introducing dynamic / weighted variants that make me want to cry? ... yup
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Yes and No.

If you're one to self-teach and have the time....then yes you could go without the personal trainer. There are several programs, such as the ones on bodybuilding.com that are already setup and tell you the exact workouts/machines to use and when so you don't even have to put together your leg workout or should workout, etc, etc. That being said, I strongly suggest practicing your form, making sure you consult training videos that show proper technique, and starting out at a level that you can handle, don't go balls to wall if you can't handle it.

On the reverse side, and as something with a personal trainer, I think it's partially worth it. I bought 20 sessions at once to use how I like. It ended up cost a little over 25$ a session which isn't horrible but isn't great with my budget either. I did this for a few reasons:

1) I didnt know about all the pre-set customed workout plans that are offered out there
    2) Between my job, son, and trying to keep the house semi-decent I don't have much time to work out, let alone research and learn every thing I would need to feel comfortable going at this by myself
    3) She has to set up weekly workouts for me until I've used all my PT sessions. Granted they're the same 4 workouts rotated for one month then they change the next month. And she failed to switch them for an extra two weeks at one point because she was training for her competition....I still had workouts planned for me. No research (aside from technique) videos needed.
    4)If I have any questions my trainer is there. She doesn't always answer right away, but I know she's there when I need her.
    5) During our sessions she teaches me about different types of machines and how to properly perform any exercise shes torturing me with at the moment
    6)Its a good motivator to have someone tracking your progress, even if it is only once a month.....

Long story short, if you want to try a personal trainer, try a session or two. If you don't, then do this the best way you can. Everyone is different. I personally like having my workouts set up for me. And my trainer is a body builder. A year or two from now when Im at a decent weight and my body fat is considered a healthy range I really want to start trying to body build the way she does. So it's awesome to watch her and imagine getting to her level. On the flip side, once my 20 sessions are up....I will probably try doing this alone for a while or using the pre-set programs of bodybuilding.com for a while. If nothing else because I do want to learn and be able to provide myself with a good workout rather than always depending on a trainer. Plus after so long with a trainer....you're going to learn how to set up your own workouts anyway. ;)
  • TomerDavid1
    TomerDavid1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone forthe detailed answers i really appreciate this.

Im not sure what im gonna do first but definitely will focus on small weights and technique.

Thank you all again!