type of strength training used during caloric deficit.

Options
What kind of strength training should you do if you are in a caloric deficit. Any particular style of exercise should I be doing? In terms of reps, weights sets and frequency. I'm also not sure how your body functions when in a CD phase.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't over think it. Just go lift something
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Heavy, compound movements done with good form, generally for low reps.

When you’re in a calorie deficit, your body is looking for two things: Fuel to stay alive and function and things to shut down or break down for fuel. If you just go on a calorie restricted diet and do cardio, your body burns fat and muscle (we don’t need this muscle he isn’t using so take it). You lose weight. If you strength train (and consume enough protein), your body opts more for fat than muscle (we are using this muscle, so leave it be for now). That’s why it is important to do compound movements with free weights, you’re using more muscles and therefore preserving more of them.

It is a little more complicated than that (hormones, sleep, recovery, etc.), but that’s the basics and is enough for most folks to make a plan.
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation AllanMinster! unfortunately I I only have access to few weights and a universal machine, so I hope to make the most of that there.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you've never done a strength program before, just do a beginner strength program. Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting, and all-pro beginner are some good ones.

Follow the programs to the letter. The only change I'd make: when the weights get heavy, if you find yourself getting too tired, change 5-set exercises to 3 sets.
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. Good advice all around.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

What this guy said.

But if you're looking for programs I'd second the Stronglifts 5x5, but if you don't have access to a squat rack, it'd be tough to do.

I lift to get stronger and to lose weight. Its a tough balance sometimes and I know my bench press especially suffers a bit (I suck at bench anyway so its an easy excuse :P ) but if you don't try and lose too much/week you should be able to slowly get stronger and burn off the weight too.

A couple approaches that have worked for me and allowed me to keep getting stronger:

1. Slight caloric deficit daily/weekly. Losing a pound a week is about -3000 calories/week. So if you are about 500 a day below on average, you'll lose roughly a pound a week. Its sometimes easier to work on a weekly level instead of a daily, that way if you're slightly over one day, you can be slightly under another. (Its easier to deal with occasional cheating this way)

2. Very slight caloric deficit daily/weekly + a "cut" every couple of months. Say you're at -1500 cal/week, roughly .5lbs. Then every 6-8 weeks take a week or two and be well below your "maintain" calorie amount. Don't starve yourself, but if you need 2200 calories to maintain, maybe only eat 1,400 for a week and make your eating super "clean" (healthy, no cheating during the cut).

It takes some experimentation and don't get frustrated when the scale doesn't change as often as you'd lift but you should notice both strength gains and fat loss as time goes on. Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Pretty much.

Keep the weight high and the reps/volume low. No reason to be doing a ton of sets/reps when in a deficit. IMO, 3-5 sets, 3-8 reps @ high intensity.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    snowy0wl wrote: »
    Thanks for the explanation AllanMinster! unfortunately I I only have access to few weights and a universal machine, so I hope to make the most of that there.

You also have your body. Don’t overlook an opportunity to do bodyweight exercises in your program. I’d favor a well done bodyweight exercise over most machines.