Do you count raw fruits/veggies in meals?

Options
2»

Replies

• LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    yep! some fruits like bananas are super nutritious, but can have up to 110 calories. a few of those a day can make a difference.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS. A calorie is a calorie. WW just tries to make it more simple to create daily goals and although their new plan has improved in that in considers carbs and protein, ignoring the sugar levels in fruits (since you should have only 2 servings a day regardless of the fact it is a more natural sugar) and the fiber and nutrients in vegetables is silly.

If you are going to take the time to log on MFP, log EVERYTHING. I log gum and spices too!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Weight Watcher's daily goal is different than the daily calorie goal on this site. The points that WW gives takes into account that people will be eating fruits and vegetables and not counting them. WW does have a disclaimer that says not to over indulge in fruits and vegetables, because that can hamper weight loss.

So, on this site, where my calories are set for me with the assumption that I will count fruits and vegetables, I count them.
  • Chrissellscandles
    Options
    I agree with you. I was thinking the same with bananas and mangoes and such. Maybe that would work for WW people at first, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, and they are near the end of losing weight, I would think that would back fire. Thanks for answering. :)
  • Chrissellscandles
    Options
    Thanks, everybody, I agree with all of you that every calorie should be counted. I think it could be a gimmick from WW to get people to join. I appreciate everyone's input! :)
  • pjgjnfl
    pjgjnfl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I count every calorie. And if there are two... one saying 50 and one saying 25... If there isn't a real clear way to distinguish... I take the higher one. I'd rather be off in that direction.

Funny - I just tweeted that I had an afternoon snack of 3 dried figs and 3 dried prunes (counted them all, as I mentioned) and I feel like I ate half a cake.

Crazy!
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I count everything. When I was on WW I didn't and I see now that it's a must; there is no such thing as FREE foods.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I list them. They have nutrients besides calories.
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I count EVERYTHING!! Fruits & veggies have calories and fiber!! I list everything I eat, and if I've gone over my calories (rarely) I up the exercise!! Good Luck-I'm here if you need motivation...LisaMariaCallow :smile:
  • Chrissellscandles
    Options
    Hi, thanks! I appreciate it!
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ok, so if you log all of that stuff, how do you know how many calories somehting is? For example, I have been eating veggie sandwiches on wheat bread this week. spinach, onions, tomatoes. I just grab a handful of spinach, about 3 slices of a small sized tomatoe and a couple slices of onion. How do I figure out how many calories that little bit is?
  • cnance
    cnance Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ok, so if you log all of that stuff, how do you know how many calories something is? For example, I have been eating veggie sandwiches on wheat bread this week. spinach, onions, tomatoes. I just grab a handful of spinach, about 3 slices of a small sized tomato and a couple slices of onion. How do I figure out how many calories that little bit is?
    For stuff like that I just estimate. Although in your case I may leave off logging the onion. 3 slices of a small tomato is probably half a small tomato, for instance.

I also log everything, partly because I want to see my macro's including fiber.
  • knkmfp
    knkmfp Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I was just coming on here to ask the same things.

I always log fruit, but don't always log vegetables. I wouln't bother with lettuce and cucumber, and didn't bother in the past with other salad vegetables, but have started to add them too.

I might add them for a few days, just to see what difference it makes.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I count every single calorie, I like to be sure :smile:

Snap
  • sizehealthy
    sizehealthy Posts: 13
    Options
    I count every single calorie, but I don't let that stop me from eating fruits and veggies. I definitely understand the Weight Watchers thinking, but I still want to be honest with myself.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    FYI listed- calories per serving is not 100% accurate so in a sense its pointless to count occasionally let alone ALL the time. There is no way they can prove a single slice of bread has 80 calories. They can give estimates though. General rule is on a 9" dinner plate you want fruits and veggies to take up 1/2 the plate, protein 1/4, and starches 1/4th.

Below is a link to a picture of how your plate should look with what amount.

http://blog.cleveland.com/nationworld_impact/2008/11/large_Obesity_Portion_Sizes_Meye.JPG
  • french2010
    Options
    I did WW and I loved the idea that I didn't have to count those calories. It actually made me eat more fruit and veggies and less of the bad stuff. ISo I ended up losing a lot of weight (would have continued but WW online is just too expensive)But I was wondering the same thing about MFP. I would love it if I didn't have to count them here but I do it. I think WW has already calculated those calories into your points some kind of way so it probably wouldn't work if you did it with MFP. I really wish I could figure out WW's system though.
  • kjseili215
    Options
    I was/am on WW online. The OLD WW system was much much better and easier to stay on. I still have all the books and can do it on my own, but hard to stay on. I was very curious about logging the fruits on this plan also. I'm trying to eat more fruits and vegies, but for the calories my craveings take me to a more sugary snack. Don't know yet if I will count them or not. And your right, the new WW system makes you eat more fruits and vegies. I know people that have lost lots of weight on the new WW system.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This is also my biggest pet peeve with ww, I mean I regularly eat a minimum of 200 calories in fruits per day, and would totally rock out 600 if I had that option . . . how would a hidden 600 calories benefit me?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you would log cooked veggies but not raw. What is the logic?