should overweight people run?

Options
I am overweight, there I said it! I have recently taken up running but man it hurts! It hurts my lower back and my.hips and my knees, but running I the 'thing' to be seen doing right? My question is, am I doing myself more harm than good?

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    There is no "thing"
  • bfc70
    bfc70 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I considered it. But 100lb extra through my already tired and noisy knees isn't quite right yet. I chose to cycle to introduce exercise.

Running does seem to be the thing to be seen doing, but at what cost. Is there another exercise you might prefer doing?
  • nik_nak_83
    nik_nak_83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do swimming twice a week and can happily smash out a mile in the pool, but I wanted to add something in the fresh air (and free!). Like you I wonder at what cost to my body (in its current state) is this run? Three people I work with all avid runners have foot and knee injuries inflicted by pounding pavement...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    nik_nak_83 wrote: »
    I am overweight, there I said it! I have recently taken up running but man it hurts!

So what's your reason for starting running? For me, it was about exercising off a calorie deficit, but once I was able to run for 30 minutes at a time I started to enjoy it. I still don't much enjoy the first 10-15 minutes.
    It hurts my lower back and my.hips and my knees

So that's likely to be related to core strength, and potentially how you're running, rather than running per se.

Are you using a plan of some kind to get yourself running or are you making it up as you go along?

It's useful to do some complementary resistance training of some kind, to help with the running.
    My question is, am I doing myself more harm than good?

Running isn't bad for you although there'll shortly be a pile on of people saying that you don't need to run. In many ways I'd agree with them.

A calorie deficit will lead to weight loss.
    CV training of some kind will help with the calorie deficit, and improve aerobic endurance and stamina
    Resistance training helps to retain lean mass in weight loss, and can help with emergent issues that being overweight leads to.

the thre work in concert with one another.

Equally, CV training need not be running, although running itself is weight bearing so that has some wider benefits, including related to bone density. Particularly an issue for women in weight loss.
  • nik_nak_83
    nik_nak_83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good points well made. My core is ridiculously weak but I figured shed the weight first and then core strengthening would be easier for my frame to deal with. But maybe I should be including this along the way. Thanks for the advice guys!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I just checked your profile, and the amount you want to lose isn't all that significant. Personally I've lost more than twice that since I started running two years ago.

This NHS 12 week plan, http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/12-week-fitness-plan.aspx, combines running and bodyweight resistance training using two packages

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/strength-and-flexibility/Pages/strength-flexibility-podcasts.aspx
  • nette_65
    nette_65 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I invested £25 in a cycle and it was the best thing I did. Out in the fresh air, it helped with my CV training and I gradually increased the distance I could run/jog/shuffle. I think you have to do whatever you're comfortable with and don't let trends or what other people are doing misguide you. Any type of exercise will make a difference with a healthy eating plan. Good Luck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Core strength exercises, muscle balance work, etc are worth doing now - while overweight because you have more muscular tissue than when you will have lost weight. It is worth conserving as much as possible for health reasons (from cardiovascular to bone) and metabolism (you'll have a higher one).

If you haven't been active and want to run or do other activities - in whatever you chose - starting slow and mixing activity is a good way to avoid specific injury.

If you are seeing a lot of pain in running - and yes, being overweight may add additional risks - try to mix in swimming, biking or just walking.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    try cycling. It is a good way to do cardio outside without the impact on your knees which running will do. That's not to say you shouldn't run, but cycling is probably a better weight-loss exercise at the moment.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I started running at 333 pounds (I'm now around 190). Maybe your trying too fast too quick. If you are able to walk for 30 minutes briskly just introduce one or two minutes of running and slowly extend that as you get used to it. When you run run slow even if it's slower than you walk. Also get some good shoes.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Running actually can be bad for you if you are exceptionally heavy for your frame, because of the impact. There is no evidence that suggests that running is exceptionally more healthful than walking. However, if you insist on running, you there are a few things you have to do to be safe...

1. Have proper shoes for your gait, step and weight. Don't just wear whatever shoes have been in your closet for years.
    2. Proper core strengthening is super important.
    3. If your knees hurt, your knees may not have proper stabilization from your thigh muscles, which is pretty common if you were sedentary. Rest days are important for sure.

It is becoming more understood that what types of exercise you do should be determined by your goals. Honestly, swimming and water aerobics are proven to produce far higher cardiovascular burns, and can provide very good resistance toning as well, while aiding weight loss and alleviating pain due to excess weight impact.

I'm not going to say you should not run, but if you don't like running and it makes you hurt, there may be better options for you right now.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    ...the impact on your knees which running will do.

Nonsense
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    Running actually can be bad for you if you are exceptionally heavy for your frame, because of the impact.

And your evidence for that is what exactly?

I'd also note that the originator isn't particularly overweight.

The common causes of issues with running are trying to do too much, too soon, trying to run too quickly before proper form has been developed, using inappropriate gear and not developing the complementary strength component.
    There is no evidence that suggests that running is exceptionally more healthful than walking

Except for the significantly higher calorie expenditure, greater effect on aerobic endurance, improved aerobic capacity and the opportunity to use running to impreve latctate threshold and VO2Max in the longer term, neither of which can be delivered through walking, unless you're advocating race walking.
  • SigridKayaAndersen
    SigridKayaAndersen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Niknak,

I am heavy overweigth too and run daily. I even finished a running challenge (with 280 km in 30 days) a month ago. Two points to really consider: REALLY GOOD running shoes....those will help your knees and ankles so much when running...you dont have to go for the most expensive ones...but the ones you feel most comfortable in...it just has to be a running shoe, not just trainers. Run on concrete...yes it´s hard, but flat! (unless you really have a flat and even grass path somewhere but most of the time this is much worse than concrete). And second...listen to your body. You will need to do A LOT of stretching to start with...every few 100 meters stop and stretch, stetch more when finished, use sauna and infrared treatment if you can. Change different activities every day.
    All that IF you really want to run...you sure can do it! If not...there are better alternatives....Nordic walking in a very fast pace is one.Im combining running, nordic walking, swimming and Freeletics.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Nonsense

The OP said running hurts their knees. And back & hips. Presumably that's from impact.

OP, have your form assessed by an experienced runner, or - even better - a physical therapist. Also wear the right shoes, and follow a good running program, like C25K. If you're still in pain, put running on the backburner while you do other exercises. Don't run with joint pain. You do strength training too, right? It's the "thing" to do. B)
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    When I started at 19st I started running too quickly into my diet and my ankles still play up as a result. Start walking until the feel confident to jog, don't rush it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Running actually can be bad for you if you are exceptionally heavy for your frame, because of the impact.

It's likely a chicken and egg issue - being exceptionally heavy may lead to bone remodeling and possible wear issues - additional stress doesn't help. (evidence: I was a hip prosthetic designer for about 5 years)

While bursitis and other issues are likelier in the overweight (they tend to be pre-existing conditions aggravated by running or significant walking) - the need for weight bearing exercise to reduce osteoporosis risks is also important to consider, especially during weight loss in women or in the older person.

• katiearb
    katiearb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, all I can give you is my personal experience. I am 50 pounds over weight and I run a couple times a week. I usually only run between 5 - 8k at a time. My first 10K run I took a running clinic which helped me with my form. I also bought a very good pair of running shoes. Worth the cost if you plan to run a lot. I have lost 50 pounds so far. Listen to your body
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Nonsense

The OP said running hurts their knees. And back & hips. Presumably that's from impact.

My response was to the categoric assertion that running impact is a bad thing (tm)

My prior posts highlight that back and hip pain is most likely to be strength related, and mitigated by resistance training. As in the combined plan that I've linked to. Similarly knee pain could be strength related, could be form related.

Essentially running isn't inherently bad, especially if one is only marginally overweight.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

It's likely a chicken and egg issue - being exceptionally heavy may lead to bone remodeling and possible wear issues - additional stress doesn't help. (evidence: I was a hip prosthetic designer for about 5 years)

Indeed, but it's not the absolute perspective that was conveyed in the post I responded to, particularly where the originator isn't significantly overweight.