Calorie Goals

Options
Hi

I recently started using MFP to gain weight, along side a body weight fitness routine 3 times a week. MFP has calculated my calorie goals to be 2580 calories for a steady increase in weight. For some reason this doesn't seem enough when NHS website says men need 2500 to maintain.

Can anybody here advise me on this?

thanks,

Replies

• watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Might not be enough, you will need to monitor your weight and add calories to your diet if required.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Your calorie goal is actually 2580 plus extra calories burned from exercise.

The NHS guideline is an average amount for an average sized man and already includes an average of calories expended during an average amount of exercise.

You haven't provided any details of how close to average you are.

PS - did I use the word average enough? :)
  • wrathofpascal
    wrathofpascal Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yeah might help if I gave more info, maybe even a profile pic.

So I'm 6 foot 7 and weigh 168lbs. I don't know how to calculate the workout calorie burn other than entering a few of the strength excercises as cardio on the app.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    How many calories have you been eating? you could always start by eating 2580 and see if you gain, then if not, you'll know to bump up a bit higher. Although 2500 is general what maintenance is set as by NHS etc, everyone is different and it takes time to figure out our own TDEE.
  • wrathofpascal
    wrathofpascal Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wednesdsay I ate 2626, yesterday 2635.
    I'll see how I get on and adjust it accordingly.

thank you!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    balldrix wrote: »
    Yeah might help if I gave more info, maybe even a profile pic.

So I'm 6 foot 7 and weigh 168lbs. I don't know how to calculate the workout calorie burn other than entering a few of the strength excercises as cardio on the app.

You can add the duration of your workout (under the CV) section as "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) ". It won't give you much (c. 225 per hour for me and we are a similar weight). I modify mine upwards as I tend to train in a higher tempo than most people and my total weight lifted in the hour would be higher.

As people have said the initial goal is just a start point. After a few weeks you can custom set your calorie goal based on results.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    it is really trial and error. I would start at 2500 and if you do not gain in a week, then bump up to 2700, if no gain then bump to 2800, keep bumping up until you are gaining at a rate that you want to gain.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the rolling average.But it's going to take two or three weeks of data to see if anything is happening.