1st 5k in 2 days!

Options
momagent
momagent Posts: 16 Member
I just finished the C25k app, and I have my 1st 5k on Sunday. Any advice anyone can give would be great. I'm doing this to finish not for time but I don't want to be embarrassed. I'm pretty slow :(

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The main thing is avoid going out too fast, plan your own race, and run your plan.

Other than that, just relax and enjoy it.
  • momagent
    Options
    Thanks. I was kind of thinking running with other people might motivate more but then again I don't want to tire myself out in the beginning and not have enough gas for the end. Lol
  • squeakbunny
    squeakbunny Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I,m doing 5 k jogs myself and slow as to , i find every second day i do the run again and so on , just keep doing your 5 k. you will get fitter and quicker as time goes on , i found the food i eat affects my running as well take note of what you eat that could affect you, i don't run for about 2 hrs if i ate something or i really know it that's just me every one is different , your going well maybe find some new places to jog as well that makes it more fun :) and just take your time and keep your feet ticking over at a pace you can handle it doesn't matter if your not fast at all , i get great pleasure just finishing my run and if you can increase it a little each week just a bit and you will surprise yourself how far you will be going .enjoy.
  • momagent
    Options
    :):) thanks so much
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Dont get sucked into going out too fast. If need be, hold back a little and let the crowds disperse a bit before picking up your pace
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Start towards the back, since you mentioned you were slow (like I am) and were doing this to finish instead of for time. This way you can keep pace with those around you to keep yourself from starting out too fast. Plus you will not have a lot of people passing by you which will definitely cause you to run faster. There is a herd mentality somewhere in our minds that amkes us try to keep up with, or even pass those around us in a race. So set yourself up in a place where your minds desire to keep up or pass people will not put you in a place that is too fast for your ability.

Oh, have fun, and keep going unless you either collapse or get hurt. You can make it, and there is no better time than race say to surprise yourself with things you never thought were possible before.
  • momagent
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I love this app.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Great advice above. You definitely just want to run your own pace. Odds are you will run a bit faster on race day, but you don't want to burn yourself out.

Many people also advise don't change your routine. Use the same gear, shoes, diet etc that you normally do. And have fun! Your time will me a PR, so it's going to be a great day!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Lots of 5k races also have lots of walkers. So you won't be last. :) You will do great!!!!
  • momagent
    Options
    :D
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Have fun.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you have time after you've finished, stick around for a little while and cheer for people as they cross the finish line.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If you have time after you've finished, stick around for a little while and cheer for people as they cross the finish line.

Classy move... I just ran my first race last weekend - wish I'd have thought to do that. :(
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the route and see if you're familiar with the elevations throughout the run. I have been training (up to 15k now) and when I ran my first 5k there were a lot of uphill portions. It's important to keep a pace that will get you through that but won't tire you out before you reach the top. Just a specific suggestion. Have fun and congrats on finishing C25K.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Lots of 5k races also have lots of walkers. So you won't be last. :) You will do great!!!!

I was going to say this as well. Just relax, run at your confortable pace and enjoy!
  • momagent
    Options
    [quoteincogNEATo_;32332723"]Take a look at the route and see if you're familiar with the elevations throughout the run. I have been training (up to 15k now) and when I ran my first 5k there were a lot of uphill portions. It's important to keep a pace that will get you through that but won't tire you out before you reach the top. Just a specific suggestion. Have fun and congrats on finishing C25K. [/quote]

I did take a look. I live in Houston so it's flat.I am a little worried about the heat even though it's in the am :(....mile 1 & 3 are on the road but mile 2 Is on a bike path. I am doing a run for a (fun) run for a craft Brewary downtown...I figured my 1st one should also be fun right??? Burn some calories, drink some calories. Lol
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I've run 2 races so far, a 10 miler last year at this time and a 5K on 1/1/15 -- I made the same mistake both times, I started out too fast trying to keep up with others and got tired really quickly that way, and then I try to adjust my pace when I see others passing me -- I am trying to get myself to just start out at a comfortable pace and maintain what is good for me -- remember some of that and you should do fine.
  • momagent
    Options
    Thanks ;)
  • keelyjrs
    keelyjrs Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I used to run before my health problems, I used to sing a song in my head or a chant to keep time. It probably sounds really stupid to you guys but I used to repeat in my mind " nelly the elephant packed her bags and said goodbye to the circus......" It was my exact comfortable rhythm and pace to run to!

Ok I'm embarrassed I admitted that now lol
  • momagent
    Options
    What ever works I guess:) lol