am i losing weight too fast?

Options
eddyarcher
eddyarcher Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been at this for 60 days. I've lost 42 lbs...is that too fast? I'm a 36 yo man current weight of 231

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That equates to roughly 5lb a week which is quite an aggressive loss. If you are severely over weight you could perhaps cope with it short term but long term that is far too much loss per week :neutral:
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If this is for real... Yes. What was your start weight? how many calories are you eating in a day? This is very dangerous imo. you should see a doctor.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Unless you were morbidly obese to begin with, losing at that rate means a significant loss of lean body mass. In an ideal world, 42 pounds of fat requires an accumulated deficit of 147,000 calories .... or 2,450 per day at your rate. Compare that to your maintenance level and see if you can still meet minimum intake guidelines ... it's unlikely.
  • eddyarcher
    Options
    I started at 274. I typically take in around 1200 cal a day. My goal is right around 220-225...so I'm almost there. I went from a very sedentary lifestyle to exercising twice a day and just watching portions.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    eddyarcher wrote: »
    I started at 274. I typically take in around 1200 cal a day. My goal is right around 220-225...so I'm almost there. I went from a very sedentary lifestyle to exercising twice a day and just watching portions.

1200 calories for a man is WAY too low. WAY WAY WAY too low. You will be losing lean mass and not much else. If you are exercising on top of that you will be netting below 1200 which is dangerous imo.
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am currently 162 lbs and I am eating 1220 calories a day. IMHO I think your intake is way too low. Is this what MFP allotted you? Blessings.
  • eddyarcher
    Options
    Ok so I'm doing this all wrong then?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes it's too fast - unless you actually want to look like a saggy mess when you get to goal.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and on some days you are eating around 900 calories! That is so dangerous! You need to increase your calories asap.
  • eddyarcher
    Options
    It says to take in a minimum of 1200. To lose 2.5 per week allows 1590
  • eddyarcher
    Options
    On some of those days I get busy working in the yard and don't think too much about eating...so should I be taking in those calories AFTER my burnt calories from exercise?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's sticky threads in the Getting Started forum you should read.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie for a man is not appropriate or safe. So yes, you're doing it wrong and losing too fast.

You should recalculate your MFP goal and select to lose .5/lbs a week since you are about 10 lbs away from your goal. When you exercise, eat at least a portion of those calories back. When you eat them doesn't matter.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Please don't shoot for 2.5 in weight loss a week. You will honestly have much less muscle, more fat, and lots of loose skin after you finally lose enough weight for your goal. Set your loss to 1 or 1.5 lbs per week and make sure you strength train. Please believe me, you do not want to end up weak and skinny/fat at your goal weight!
  • Merci4u
    Merci4u Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi Eddy, it is generally recommended that a loss of 500g-1kg or 1-2 pounds a week is a sustainable way to loose weight. This is because of how we burn body fat vs muscle. Essentially if you eat too few calories your body will panic (starvation mode) and burn muscle which is the easiest way for it to access energy. To burn fat you have to ensure you do not send your body into a starvation mode by only eating a little less. It is generally recommended that you do not have a calorie deficit of more than 500cal per day from what you need to maintain your current weight and for men to not go under 1500cal which is the minimum cal requirement for men to maintain their basic intake requirements.

I would also be concerned that you are not getting enough essential vitamins and fats. My friend got banding done and her hair started falling out because she wasn't getting enough.

Do you finalise your entries every day? whenever I undereat, MFP tells me I am not eating enough.

Please remember though, every person is different. I would recommend informing yourself and possibly going and seeing your doctor or a nutritionist.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and on some days you are eating around 900 calories! That is so dangerous! You need to increase your calories asap.

How do you see someone's diary? Would love to see how my eating habits compare to others.