I never warm up

Options
Is this bad for me ??? I just head in gym blast 20 mins rowing then 40 on treadmill. I get a few minutes cramp in between which settle quickly ........

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'll warm up and do some dynamic stretching before a race, but most of the time warming up is the first 10-15 minutes of a session. I'll just start to run, or row, or cycle and ease up to training pace
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    my warm-up is up to 20 mins on elliptical at high resistance and / or HIIT on the treadmill

but if I was getting cramps I'd probably take it slow for a couple of minutes to ease my muscles into it, then go for it

May I ask if you always just do cardio? or do you intersperse with weights?
  • chazza55
    chazza55 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i don't stretch anymore before a run, only after.......i used to get pulled muscles a lot by (presumably) over stretching before hand.

However i always stretch before a kettlebells session.......the only time i cut corners there i wrenched a back muscle......so maybe it depends on the type of exercise you are doing and what works for you?
  • dominicdevine1
    dominicdevine1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Always cardio first then any strength and weight afterward ..... Other then a few aches no pulled muscles or other significant problems :)
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I warm up, found it makes a big difference in soreness. Anecdotal evidence, but there you are. I don't stretch until I'm done though.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I never used to warm up, then I got a hip injury which could've likely been prevented by me not being so slapdash with warm-ups and cool-downs, so now I take 5-10 minutes to either ease into the cardio I'm doing, 'activate' the right muscles groups, or to 'practise' the right form for an exercise before touching any weights. I stretch and foam roll after. It makes a difference for me.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a proper warm up, I don't stretch or anything, but I will start off whatever I'm doing at a slower pace for the first 5-10 minutes, then push it up as I get into it. Seems to work for me so far.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    I don't really have a proper warm up, I don't stretch or anything, but I will start off whatever I'm doing at a slower pace for the first 5-10 minutes, then push it up as I get into it. Seems to work for me so far.

^This and I stretch afterwards. I also have a stretching program with a fitness ball that I perform sometime in the day.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    10(ish) mins cardio for a warm up here. Static stretches at the end.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I do 5-8 minutes of mild cardio just to get my heart going. Then I go into weights. Cardio after.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Oh, and stretching when I'm all done with the workout.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Is this bad for me ??? I just head in gym blast 20 mins rowing then 40 on treadmill. I get a few minutes cramp in between which settle quickly ........
    Risk is higher for injury to muscle and tendons. Think of a cold rubberband getting immediately stretched. It may snap. Now heat that rubberband up a little and it's much more pliable to stretch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I run to the gym for my warmup.
  • matt140582
    matt140582 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Always cardio first then any strength and weight afterward ..... Other then a few aches no pulled muscles or other significant problems :)

Swap it around bro....
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I consider the first 5 minutes of cardio to be warm up.

Why do you do cardio first? If you're lifting heavy you should try lifting first and see how you like it.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    matt140582 wrote: »

Swap it around bro....

I was taught to do strength first ...
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm also guilty of not warming up. I go straight to weights and cardio after.
  • dominicdevine1
    dominicdevine1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Will take those reccemondations on board ..:.: