Eating over daily calorie count (by almost 1500)

Options
I have just been out for a birthday dinner, and had wine, thai, chocolate cake and chocolate, which means I have eaten a lot over my daily allowance.

I am making an effort not to binge in the weekend, nor let one day of eating over my calories result in several days of eating too much!

I have logged the day, and noted in my diary that it was a day I didn't win, but would be very grateful for any advice on how to make tomorrow a fresh start! What works for you if you find yourself in this situation to make sure you keep going forward? !

Replies

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I start each day afresh, kind of like thinking I just got back from a holiday.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life. You can't change the past, just strive to do your best for today.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Birthday dinners are the worst. If you don't partake, you feel like you're violating some grand social ritual. If you do, then without the most meticulous planning you blow your calorie goal.

Just acknowledge that it happened -- which you've done -- and start again. Understand that those 1400 calories will get absorbed and average and spread out over the coming days and weeks and the net result will send you careening into a ditch.

It's not a roll-over collision, it's just a speed bump.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Youve dont it all correctly. its logged an you know what it was. new day and fresh start back to your regime of posting the consistent deficits. Presumably nothing has changed in that you wish to lose weight? If so carry on with the activities that assist you.
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The weekly average is more important that a single day. Obviously don't go on a 1500 calorie deficit today, but perhaps aim for 300 calories less for the next few days.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok, lets think about it this way. So, you went over your goal by 1500. What is your daily deficit set at? If you're set at a losing a pound a week, that's a 500 calorie deficit. If that's the case, you went over your maintenance calories by approximately 1000 calories. If you had at least 2 other days where you hit your goal of what I'm assuming is a 500 calorie deficit, then you've broken even. Even if you've eaten at maintenance every other day, as long as your logging is accurate, the most you would gain (apart from water weight that you might experience the next day or two) is half a pound.

I have a hard time of moving on myself, but try to not beat yourself up for what has already been done. Tomorrow is a new day. Even if you've been eating at maintenance, 3 days of eating at a moderate deficit will get you back on track. No big deal. You got this! :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Just recognize that this is NOT an everyday occurrence. Get back on track the next day.
    Don't freak out if you step on the scale, restaurant meals tend to be high in sodium which will cause water retention and a false scale reading.
  • jimmyalice1984
    jimmyalice1984 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    As above, just keep going, I did the same thing last week and got straight back on track the next day, and I still lost a pound,
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I take the MFP calorie counter with a tremendous grain of salt. Granted, I'm usually always over my MFP allotted calories (I use it to track my macros, not my calories) and I'm constantly getting the message "if you ate like this every day, you would weigh x-amount in 5 weeks." Again, I eat over my daily calories probably 7 days a week. The days that I don't, but still hit my macros are few and far between. Still, the scale hasn't moved, despite MFP telling me that I'm going to gain x-amount of weight in 5 weeks. To be fair, I exercise, and I'm pretty rigid about where my calories are coming from, recently making the change to get most of them from protein instead of carbs, and no more than 20% from fats. Unless you're going over by a ridiculous amount, and those calories are coming from poor sources, I wouldn't sweat one "slip up."

"One bad day won't break you any more than one good day will make you."
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    When I have a day like that I try to really enjoy what I'm indulging in and not feel guilty about it. Then I go about my normal eating/workout habits the next day.
  • 2marsh
    2marsh Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I FEEL you. Getting back on track today myself after dinner with grandparents last night. Can you get some exercise early in the day today? That always helps me hit reset and get in the fitness mindset. I'm lucky to be working from home today, so I can hit the gym after emails, but even if you can't do that, maybe a walk at lunch? I find it's mentally easier to focus on doing something positive (exercise, having a green smoothie for breakfast) than it is to try NOT to do something (eat sweets, lay in bed watching Netflix). Good luck! You can do it!
  • low_carb_debbie
    low_carb_debbie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did the very same thing recently. For me, when that happens I don't put more than 3 Ibs on the next day and I find that it soon comes off again if I'm very careful for the following few days! I allow for times like that. Kind of put them in my schedule and enjoy the occasion. Then ... back to work so to speak! Don't feel guilty or like you've failed in someway! You had a lovely birthday dinner and now you're back in business! It's life!! The biggest mistake I used to make when I fell of the wagon was give up completely. Such a defeatist attitude I had. Now I get straight back on it. That's all you need to do. You can do it too!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What is your normal daily deficit?

If you are set to lose one pound per week, eating 1500 calories over on one day still results in a weekly deficit if you hit your target every other day.