James ducal diet aka grapefruit

Options
Has anyone ever tried the grapefruit diet my sister lost 12 lbs on it in 7 days and I've read lost of reviews with many people losing a stone in a week and keeping it off its totally healthy cuz you can still eat your 1200 calories a day so your no way undereatibg it's apartantly based on the chemicals you consume that make u lose the weight not the quantity so u get to eat lost of fruit veg salads and protein .....OK so I'm starting today lest see the results 7 days later whoever wants to follow support or join me on this pls add me as a friend I'm sticking to the diet word for word so who's in .....u don't have to join me u can just hang around and see the results well wish me luck

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    So why not just eat at a deficit?
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Nooooooo.
  • saramartinez966
    saramartinez966 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Jennifer why did u say noon is it a bad plan
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with the grapefruit diet, but you could also lose weight by following the plan but without bothering to eat the grapefruit. As long as you are eating less than you are burning, you will lose weight.
  • JenniDaisy
    Options
    Jennifer why did u say noon is it a bad plan

It's a terrible plan.
    1200 is probably under eating unless you're very petite and sedentary,
    Chemicals you consume is such a non-thing, everything is chemicals, you are chemicals.

Just work out what you burn everyday (your TDEE) and eat less than that (weigh and measure your food to make sure, or do some exercise to create a deficit.

And don't expect to lose 12lbs in a week! That's crazy talk
  • saramartinez966
    Options
    Because the point is grapefruit is supposed to help burn fat yes u are still eating at a deficit and yes u are still eating carbs fruit veg and protein so it seems like a well balanced diet to me and is eating 1200 cals a day bad for a woman trying to lose weight because acording to this app that's fine for me that is my daily calorie target
  • saramartinez966
    Options
    But thank u Jennifer I'll bear that in mind :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    So much wrong here.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried the grapefruit diet my sister lost 12 lbs on it in 7 days and I've read lost of reviews with many people losing a stone in a week and keeping it off its totally healthy cuz you can still eat your 1200 calories a day so your no way undereatibg it's apartantly based on the chemicals you consume that make u lose the weight not the quantity so u get to eat lost of fruit veg salads and protein .....OK so I'm starting today lest see the results 7 days later whoever wants to follow support or join me on this pls add me as a friend I'm sticking to the diet word for word so who's in .....u don't have to join me u can just hang around and see the results well wish me luck

OK take a step back and think logically. The diet is based on the idea that grapefruit contains a fat burning enzyme which is just nonsense. Also why do you think basing a diet around one food would be a good idea? We all know the statistics it's publicised enough that short term fad diets fail. They work in the short term but statistically the majority of people regain the weight plus some more. There are no quick fixes

You're on MFP you have a great calorie counting tool why not use it. Why not do something that you can keep up for the rest of your life.

Maybe have a look at this thread. good luck

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • JenniDaisy
    Options
    Because the point is grapefruit is supposed to help burn fat yes u are still eating at a deficit and yes u are still eating carbs fruit veg and protein so it seems like a well balanced diet to me and is eating 1200 cals a day bad for a woman trying to lose weight because acording to this app that's fine for me that is my daily calorie target

Grapefruit does not, DOES NOT, burn fat.
  • saramartinez966
    Options
    Thanks for the reply but this diet is not based on one food u eat carbs protein fruit and veg every day
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd be curious if it actually is 1200 calories. Seems to get a lot of attention from crash diet sites and pro-ana sites.

Day 1
    Breakfast: 1 slice dry toast with 1 gilled tomato OR tinned tomatoes
    Lunch: Fresh fruit - any amount
    Dinner: 2 hard boiled eggs, Salad & grapefruit

Sure that could come in at 1200 calories, but it could also be less or more depending on what you pick to eat and how much.

Also safe weight loss is 1-2lbs per week. If your losing more than that there is a very high probability that you are under-eating.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm a believer that you can get all kinds of diets to work, short term. They are typically restrictive and not enjoyable. Some may even be harmful to your health.

If you want long term success, why not just use MFP the way it was intended? Eating healthful and moving more is really the only good weight loss solution.

I do wish you luck in whichever path you decide is right for you. I wouldn't recommend the grapefruit thing, but I've tried plenty of fad stuff in my life to know that sometimes, you gotta figure this stuff out on your own.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »

^^^Truth.

Eating a calorie deficit causes your body to burn fat. Many people on here, myself included, have probably lost weight never eating grapefruit.
  • saramartinez966
    Options
    Lol grapefruit dose not burn fat :D so what's the point and all the fuss about grapefruit. ....well anyway that's good cuz I hate grapefruit
  • JenniDaisy
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    JenniDaisy wrote: »

^^^Truth.

Eating a calorie deficit causes your body to burn fat. Many people on here, myself included, have probably lost weight never eating grapefruit.

Grapefruit is bluergh :grimace:
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Lol grapefruit dose not burn fat :D so what's the point and all the fuss about grapefruit. ....well anyway that's good cuz I hate grapefruit

It's just a fad diet. People started eating grapefruit, which put them in a calorie deficit, so they assumed that eating grapefruit must burn fat. In truth, it was the calorie deficit. Correlation =/= causation.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Because magic. If it were so magic, then everyone would be thin.

Eating more fruits & veggies is good though, but eat the ones you like.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

You hate grapefruit but want to go on the grapefruit diet. Makes sense.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit specifically blocks cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) enzymes from being produced in your intestines and liver. Apparently only grapefruit does this. Blocking these enzymes can cause issues with the absorption of some medications. That's why you see some medicines that tell you to not drink grapefruit juice while taking them.

Then someone at some point decided that because it messes with this enzyme it must burn fat. I'm not sure where that crazy leap of logic came from, but there you go.