Looking to come out of closet

Options
luvmymonkeykids
luvmymonkeykids Posts: 17 Member
edited April 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hello all

I have been hiding my weight loss efforts from most everyone. I have been working with a doctor and have lost roughly 17 pounds with another 65 to go. I am thinking that maybe I need to come out of the closet and actually start being social about my weight loss journey. If you are interested in being friends, let me know. I don't however share my food diary as I feel that one is between me and my doctor and what goes in it is pretty specific and I don't want to open myself up to criticism for what I am or am not eating. I am working on eating cleaner and being more active.

I am a 42 year old female in SoCal. I am married with 2 teens and work full time. I do ALOT of volunteer work with my kids activities and school so time is always short.

Thanks,
D

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I was in your shoes a few years ago. I have 3 in college now. You feel like there is not enough time to do everything but it is very important to carve out some time for you. I didn't come out until I lost around 25 pounds (except to husband and kids) and people really started noticing at 35 pounds when my clothes were too big. You can do it.
  • luvmymonkeykids
    luvmymonkeykids Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lizzy. It is so hard to always hear so much criticism and advice from people who have no idea what I may or may not be doing and then the judgements.... You are right, it is important to take some time for me which is what I am trying to do.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me if you'd like, I have a positive account. :) I also keep my diary between me, myself, and I. Totally get it. Best of luck on your healthy journey!
  • KimsTakingControl
    KimsTakingControl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think support from the people around you is very important. Just take in all the positive and ignore the negitive! Remember at first they will ask you why you are doing it and then they will ask you how you did it! Don't let anyone negative comments get you down. You are doing this for you. Not for them. Trust me once you get to the point of everyone being able to tell you are losing you will be overwhelmed with all the compliments. It is one of the greatest feeling in the world.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I would keep it "undercover" in your daily life if you're easily discouraged by others' comments and unsolicited advice.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    This time around, I was way more open with my close friends and family when I started losing weight. They were all extremely supportive. My two best friends cheered me on so much that it helped a ton. I think they had more faith in my getting the weight off than I did :smile: I did not tell everyone, but eventually they figured it out. I was lucky to have mostly positive people in my life even then.

Good Luck, you can do it!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would keep it "undercover" in your daily life if you're easily discouraged by others' comments and unsolicited advice.

This is what I'm doing - MFP is where I am open about it, but on Facebook it's a complete 'secret'. Too many people who would pipe in and tell me to eat vegan or organic or clean or low carb or high carb or no fat or per my blood type or my astrological sign or whatever other blah blah they think they know all about. Lol I'm rolling my eyes just imagining it.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

This is what I'm doing - MFP is where I am open about it, but on Facebook it's a complete 'secret'. Too many people who would pipe in and tell me to eat vegan or organic or clean or low carb or high carb or no fat or per my blood type or my astrological sign or whatever other blah blah they think they know all about. Lol I'm rolling my eyes just imagining it.

Facebook might not be the right place to disclose the plans....everyone who sells anything will contact you too. Advocare, It Works!, etc. I don't think I put anything on Facebook until I was down 50 pounds....I was excited and shared that with everyone!