Compression

Options
I was just wondering what everyone thinks about running with compression and what the benefits are. I currently use them on every run and feel weird without them.
What do you think?

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I always run with compression shorts. Holds things in place ;)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Have you see any performance differences with and without? Compression has its place in training, but I haven't really seen anything that shows much benefit in everyday use.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been having some minor pain in my calf/side shin area, so I started wearing a compression calf sleeve during my runs and I really notice a difference! I don't necessarily notice a difference in my performance; just that the pain is not there while running when I wear it.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I wear compression leggings when I run (not often, these days). I like them, they make me feel like I jiggle less. I don't know if my performance has changed much, though.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Oh this is interesting as I get that pain too in shin. I think if you have loose skin it avoids rub, clapping body parts, chafing, and pull on body. I cant tell when I use the pants when I have a plyo or run it not as painful, embarrassing, feels like less effort.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have never tried it so I can't really say what I think about it

I have read some arguements that they are supposed to increase blood flow to compressed area, may minimize swelling and help speed up muscle recovery. I have also read conflicting arguements too. There is supposed to be some sort of "strength" of compression rating on the item that ensures it is really compression, I think there are alot of products out there that are "look alikes" that don't really give the real compression factor. Sorry I dont have links or more specific information, just a few things I remember reading.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to go digging for the studies but it has been shown that using compression during training sessions provides no more benefit than placebo effect. I can go find them later if anyone wants to see them though.

However I am a big believer in compression as a recovery tool. Similar studies do show that compression gear aids in clearing the swelling from "abused" muscles which speeds healing. I have used compression socks before as post-long-race recovery. I also have a set of pneumatic compression boots that fit up the entire leg and go through cycles of pressurizing from below and up to the top of the leg. These things are fabulous for getting the legs ready to go again for another round of training.
  • Banks21Steven
    Banks21Steven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you see any performance differences with and without? Compression has its place in training, but I haven't really seen anything that shows much benefit in everyday use.

I noticed when I use them my legs don't seem to be as sore After a run, as they do without them. "If that makes any since"
  • Banks21Steven
    Banks21Steven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it so I can't really say what I think about it

I have read some arguements that they are supposed to increase blood flow to compressed area, may minimize swelling and help speed up muscle recovery. I have also read conflicting arguements too. There is supposed to be some sort of "strength" of compression rating on the item that ensures it is really compression, I think there are alot of products out there that are "look alikes" that don't really give the real compression factor. Sorry I dont have links or more specific information, just a few things I remember reading.

Made that mistake already. The cheap knockoff lasted 1 run. Now I only use UA. The compression is great.
  • AllanMisner
    Options

I noticed when I use them my legs don't seem to be as sore After a run, as they do without them. "If that makes any since"

I guess, I just don't see any physiological reason why that would be.

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Maybe for the same reason that my boobs don't feel as sore after a run when I wear a sports bra as they would if I ran bra-less?

Resurrecting this thread after a search. Hubby swears I need some compression shorts or tights to wear while running and lifting. Of course, I started researching and found the same study mentioned above, saying it's placebo effect.

But maybe the recovery thing has some merit? I hate wasting money on special gear that I really don't need.
  • glevinso
    Options
    For recovery, and I am talking after a long hard race (Half Ironman, Full Marathon or Full Ironman) I find that sitting around in compression socks helps keep the leg swelling in check. If I sit around at work all day with my legs below me, without compression my feet and legs swell up like crazy. The socks help...

But for the real deal - I have a set of these that I use most evenings while watching TV:

Recovery-Pump.png
  • _nice_
    _nice_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would agree with recovery benefits...the theory behind compression is that it hastens venous return to the heart (and is used for bedridden and other high risk for embolism patients). The gastocnemius in ambulatory people effectively "milks" blood up the veins against gravity when it contracts. The veins have valves in them that open to allow flow and close behind the flow. The muscle pump of an actively moving muscle milks the blood from valve to valve. I wear 15-20 mm Hg knee high socks while at work, where I mostly walk and stand, using each gastrocnemus tons. They reduce swelling and leg fatigue in my opinion. Work at the bedside is not the same as training. ROM is not the same, heart isn't working very hard...I don't wear compression when I train, but I'm just training for fun and health, not competing.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I use compression leggings when I do anything high impact (jogging or HIIT). Once I discovered how they made me feel when using them, I go to them every time. I have a pair of high compression from Nike that make my legs feel like I could go forever in them. Not sure why, but it does remind me of the old LEGG's pantyhose commercial...."Nothing beats a great pair of Legg's)! I can say, I know the feeling!!!
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Maybe for the same reason that my boobs don't feel as sore after a run when I wear a sports bra as they would if I ran bra-less?

Resurrecting this thread after a search. Hubby swears I need some compression shorts or tights to wear while running and lifting. Of course, I started researching and found the same study mentioned above, saying it's placebo effect.

But maybe the recovery thing has some merit? I hate wasting money on special gear that I really don't need.

The sports bra is about the trauma of the jarring movements on the breasts. General compression of a working body part is what I haven’t seen data on and cannot wrap my mind around any benefit. Compression (and cold) after a long run does make sense as it should help remove waste from hard worked muscles.

I’ll admit, this is just opinion. There might be some research I just haven’t seen.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    First of all, there is a BIG difference between what Nike, Under Armor, etc mass markets as "compression" and true compression gear. I'm pretty sure I burn more calories putting on my compression socks than I do actually running in them.

IMO, it does *seem* to provide a slight benefit in delaying fatigue when working to/at your extremes. It also helps with recovery, at least in terms of comfort.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    During marathon or ultra marathon training I find that the use of compression helps my recovery. I don't have any actual data to back this up but just how I feel. I have done both with and with out compression. I don't use compression on shorter runs but for anything longer then 10 miles I will use them. Often during the run and after. I have several pairs of varying levels of compression.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I wear compression shorts for one reason only and that is to prevent chaffing.
  • glevinso
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    First of all, there is a BIG difference between what Nike, Under Armor, etc mass markets as "compression" and true compression gear. I'm pretty sure I burn more calories putting on my compression socks than I do actually running in them.

This. If you aren't gasping for breath and feel like you already had your workout just putting them on, they aren't really "compression" :)
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »

This. If you aren't gasping for breath and feel like you already had your workout just putting them on, they aren't really "compression" :)

That was my other question. DH and I went to look at the Under Armour compression shorts he thought I needed, and I was like... these are just spandex shorts?

I have a compression sleeve that seems to help with a calf injury, and that freaking thing is TIGHT. The only thing harder than putting it on is getting it back off of my leg.