Month ahead of my first 10k and injury

Options
I am so upset about this. I have went from not remotely close to being a runner, to an avid runner. I took great care not to injure myself. Only ran 2-3 times a week, good running shoes, Hydration.

Memorial Day weekend was suppose to be my first 10k and late last week I tweaked my knee so bad. I can barely walk on it and it's been almost a week.

Just bummed. I know I'm not the first person this has happend to, but I sure do feel like it.

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I had to drop out of a run last summer because my foot was injured. It wasn't really bad, but I didn't want to make it worse.

It sucks, but there will be other 10K runs to do. Letting your body heal is more important :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I had to drop out of a run last summer because my foot was injured. It wasn't really bad, but I didn't want to make it worse.

It sucks, but there will be other 10K runs to do. Letting your body heal is more important :)

+1

You want your first 10k experience to be a good one, running on an injured foot wouldn't be good. Maybe you can volunteer to help out with this event, if you can't run it?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I broke my fibula and DNS'd a half and deferred a 15k in the last month.
    I had achilles tendonosis so bad last fall from my physical therapist that I DNS'd another half.

Hope you've seen an orthopedic doctor about your knee.
    especially since it's not getting better
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've been much like you. Running 2-3 times a week. Increasing my mileage carefully and then boom. numbness in my right foot. no pain, just numbness. I go to the orthopedist who sends me for a bone scan. I have multiple stress fractures top and bottom of both tibias. I'm out of commission for 2-3 months. How does that happen without pain?
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There will be other runs, what Is important is that you let yourself heal. I had to bow out of a 50 miler last year. Personally I would run more then 2-3 days per week. I am a strong supporter of the run more but easier method. It has worked very well for myself.