RDA Protein... What say you MFP?

Options
Debbjones
Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
If the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA), established by the Institute of Medicine, is around 46 grams of protein per day for a woman and around 56 grams per day for a man (0.36 grams protein/per pound of one’s body weight), why does MFP say my daily goal should be 70 grams?

The RDA for a 5'3", 105 lb woman like me, based on the Institute of Medicine, should be 37-38 grams per day... not 70.

Hmmmm... no longer will I feel guilt if I don't reach MFP guidelines. Just saying!

https://www.yahoo.com/food/are-you-eating-more-protein-than-you-need-117709041786.html

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If you are engaging in some type of physical activity, particularly strength training, you will need more.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    MFP uses these guidelines, which recommend that 20% of calories come from protein. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/dietaryguidelines2010.pdf

If you don't want to use the goals that MFP defaults to you can edit them
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    You should view the MFP protein macro as a minimum, not maximum requirement.

(I know it turns red......just ignore that. Don't let it bother you....)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I read that article yesterday and was surprised, but then in the middle they start talking about vegans and it seemed clear that the author had some kind of agenda.
  • ianplant
    ianplant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is a big debate about what level of protein is nutritionally sufficient and what is optimal; therefore it is possible that the Institute of Medicine is using the former, and MFP the latter. That being said, you can customize your protein (and other macro) goals on the settings to be what you feel best. (I have done this myself).

Nonetheless, most people agree you should increase your protein intake per hour of exercise (roughly 20g). However, I believe MFP takes this into account, and if you add exercise to your diary it will automatically increase your protein goal for the day.

Finally, if you are looking to lose weight / gain weigh, rather than maintain it, protein becomes more important as your body requires more nutrients to recover / add mass, therefore if you have set a goal to loss / gain weigh, MFP may have also taken this into consideration and added a protein top up for you in your goals too.

Hope any of this helps :)
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    According to the RDA, Americans are notorious for consuming more than enough protein and the whole protein supplement market is a waste.
    However, based off my experience, food science is always changing. They're always discovering new things. While my "RDA" for protein may be low, I still try to exceed myfitnesspal's recommendations and aim for around 80-90 grams a day. Why? Because for me personally, I've noticed that's where I perform at my optimal levels.
    I don't exercise a lot (well, ever, to be honest), but unless I get somewhere between 80 and 90 grams I've noticed I am constantly hungry, irritable, and tired. So for me personally, I kind of disregard the RDA's recommendations because I've noticed I probably need more than this amount, as others have also noticed in their diets, as well.
    It also kind of makes sense that we WOULD need more protein since when you think about it, what did our ancestors binge on if presented with the opportunity? Animal meat, and lots of it. That's a lot more than what the RDA says we need for protein I'd imagine.
    So am I saying the RDA is wrong and should be re-evaluated? Well, not completely, maybe the majority don't need that much protein. But that doesn't mean everyone should switch to lower protein diets, because some people (such as myself) may benefit from eating more of it.
    What about you? Have you noticed any patterns on days you consume more of it versus days you fall short of your goal?
    One person's needs may be completely different from someone else's, so instead of generalizing just experiment until you figure out what's right for you.
    If you eat too much protein, you pee it out. Studies have shown that unless you have some prior kidney disorders or are prone to them, too much protein isn't likely to cause any trouble. Too little, however, might.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I read that article earlier today and it seems pretty one-sided. I'd need to see more than a Yahoo article to convince me that we need less protein. This is one of the stories that story links to: http://www.agri-pulse.com/Lawmakers-urge-USDA-HHS-to-use-sound-science-for-dietary-guidelines-03312015.asp
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I guess I am a little naive... I thought the software algorithms built into MFP derived their recommended daily amounts based on a recognized standard, not just 20% of their recommended caloric intake. I took things for granted and did not know that I had to question and verify their recommendations.

I understand I can adjust my levels to suit my needs... I just did not know there was such a disparagingly difference in the MFP recommendations to that of the Institutes of Medicine.

No big deal for me because I am happy to consume protein... I am just saying I am not going to be concerned about NOT reaching their recommendations for protein. :-)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    RDA for protein has issues, Sara started an interesting discussion on subject, I've covered some of the essential points also. Please don't get your health info from Yahoo opinion pieces, there are better info sources out there:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/869015