Runners - Anyone do the Run Less Run Faster program?

Options
I just started doing it. my husband suggested it to me because I want to start hitting some PR's.

I have a 10K coming up next month, and some 5K races throughout the summer. I have 2 half marathons in the fall. i have only one half marathon under my belt but really want to get better with my time!

Replies

• marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump
    I would like to increase my pace ~ would this be a good way to do that? I want to run a marathon next summer, but would like to do it in under 5 hours. At my current pace, it would take me longer than that!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You should get the book - you can download it on kindle too. The whole point of the program is to increase your speed. They said it doesn't matter how many miles you log if you are always running at the same pace. Makes sense. It is a HARD program - but you probably won't find it as challenging since you have already run marathons. The whole book was written because runners wanted to try to qualify for Boston and couldn't because of their time, and joined a data driven program to increase their pace. You should definitely check it out!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I am skeptical of any running program that promises results by running less.

The proven path to success it to build mileage as high as possible while maintaining a longer run plus two speed workouts and hills during the week. All genetic factors being equal, the one that does that will beat the one that runs less every time.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    You can try some basebuilding at lower heartrate.
    You will get faster at the same heartrate, and you can build on that (faster base) Pace when you go faster in races

http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2
  • lipglossjunky73
    Options
    I like this program because it is supported by data, and you still get your miles in - it just gives you drills to build up your speed.

I am wary about EVERYTHING, and need to read on it before jumping in. I like it. Base building at a lower heartrate never helped me with my PR. I need to get used to running faster.

You still crosstrain, and your miles are all in there. I have done speed and hillwork, but I still always fall into my slower pace.

So.... Is anyone else doing this program?:tongue:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are talking about the FIRST program (our the RW version). Basisically you do three hard days of running per week, intervals, tempo and long. You have to cross train (hard) a couple more times a week. Cross training takes the place of your easy & recovery runs.

The problem with all the "results" of these programs is they are inherently anecdotal. "Tim dropped 20 minutes from his PR by using our program." The only problem is we have no way of knowing if Tim would have dropped 30 minutes from his PR is he were training with a traditional program.

While I was rehabbing some injuries, I tried this for a little while. For me, the extra miles are critical to my running/racing well. Also, running more days is a more effective use of my time (time spent driving to the gym to cross train is time spent not running).

YMMV, after 22 marathons I just sort of do what works for me. I send most beginners to Higdon and suggest they use his Intermediate 1 program.

Good luck!
  • arc918
    Options
    Bottom line, nothing prepares you for running better than running. Step one, build your endurance (more miles, longer runs). Your speed will increase naturally as your body learns to run longer and longer. From there you can add in speedwork.

How much are you running right now?
  • lipglossjunky73
    Options
    Bottom line, nothing prepares you for running better than running. Step one, build your endurance (more miles, longer runs). Your speed will increase naturally as your body learns to run longer and longer. From there you can add in speedwork.

How much are you running right now?

I work full time so I am using this program for the 3 day workouts. I thought I read about actual data but I just started the book. My husband gave me the workouts to start until I get to that part of the book.

My schedule right now is:

Monday track drills: Week one was easy. 8 sets of one run, one jog. The run is 2.15 around the track
    Tuesday or Thursday: weights OR spin class
    Wednesday: I teach 2 Zumba classes
    Friday: 5 miles
    Sunday: 7 miles

That is a sample of week one, but I build more miles as the weeks progress. I try to add one extra run in. I'm not running as much as I like, but my time is limited. My workouts all start 4:45am as it is. My evenings I work or am with my son.

I'll admit. I'm not as knowledgeable on running, so I am trying various programs until I find one that clicks with me. S far I'm liking this because it is easy to fit in m schedule and I still get that long run in and speed work.
  • lipglossjunky73
    Options
    My half on may 1st was 2:35. Not great, but considering I never thought I would ever run more than 3 miles, a big accomplishment for me. Mile 10 killed me. People told me if I could run 10 mi, I will be golden. Well, I crapped out right at mile 10. Now I know for next time!
  • arc918
    Options
    My half on may 1st was 2:35. Not great, but considering I never thought I would ever run more than 3 miles, a big accomplishment for me. Mile 10 killed me. People told me if I could run 10 mi, I will be golden. Well, I crapped out right at mile 10. Now I know for next time!

That's a great time, congrats on your race!

I too tell usually people if they can get up to 10, then they can muscle through a half. There's no magic to any of this and indeed our busy schedules dictate what we can and can't do.

Keep running and have fun!
  • myowncrazycool
    myowncrazycool Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like this program because it is supported by data, and you still get your miles in - it just gives you drills to build up your speed.

I am wary about EVERYTHING, and need to read on it before jumping in. I like it. Base building at a lower heartrate never helped me with my PR. I need to get used to running faster.

You still crosstrain, and your miles are all in there. I have done speed and hillwork, but I still always fall into my slower pace.

So.... Is anyone else doing this program?:tongue:

What is the program?? I'm interested!
  • myowncrazycool
    Options

My PR for a half is 2:07, but I would like to get faster. Please let me know what the title of the book is...thanks.
  • arc918
    Options
  • myowncrazycool
    Options

I read the article...it happens to be what I'm already doing...haha. I am training with Team In Training for the full marathon and our coach has us on a weekly schedule. We do speed training every Wednesday night at a university track and long runs every Saturday. We run 3-4 times a week with cross-training on the other days and one day off a week. Thanks for the article. Is there a book?