ALCOHOL QUESTION PLEASE HELP

Options
I looked around and just have a simple question for you guys to answer. Yes I know it is not good to drink while dieting, but I enjoy it and am a social drinker who drinks about 1 every two weeks. There is no worry of me letting my guard down and eating a whole pizza after a few. My question is Rum at 70 calories and 3g of sugar. Should I be saving calories if I plan on consuming 5-10 or am i better off having absorbtion food in my stomach and going a little over my daily calorie intake. Thanks everyone. Absolutely love this site so far and I think it is gonna be huge in me getting to where I want to be.

Replies

• ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    lol..not laughing at your question, just have the same question myself. I've been trying to only have 2-3, this allows me a nice buzz, but a chance to skip taco bell at 1am. best advice I got.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I would save the calories.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    if i'm going to drink i save calories for the alcohol. i try not to go over. if i need a snack i just grab a bag of 100 calorie popcorn and that usually satisfies me :)
  • axman19
    axman19 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use to do the 1am taco bell stop and I had a wierd habit of grilling pizzas in my garage when I had friends over while drinking.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Well you gotta eat to keep from bowing to the porcelain God later, no matter how many drinks you decide to have I would try to stay in your calorie goal if you need extra calories for drinking do a short workout and earn some extra before the festivities begin! :drinker:
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Factor the calories of the alcohol into your daily allowance of calories and don't allow yourself to go over.
    You will end up needing to drink less because you'll have less food on your stomach and thats good because
    the less you drink the better for you.
    Alcohol robs your body of nutrients.
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    don't eat less, but try and get a workout in to add extra calories for the alcohol!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's much easier on your gut if you have food with alcohol.
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Personally- I would try to eat fairly light throughout the day (have a large salad or something for lunch), but before you start drinking eat something a little more filling, even if it has a little more calories, to keep from getting sick the next day.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If i'm going out I make sure to hit the gym...the more drinks I want, the harder I work out.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    I've cut my alcohol consumption a lot since joining MFP, mainly 'cause I want to eat, too! Had a few "mini" vacations & went way overboard on the food/cocktails for those few days. I just get back on track as soon as I get home & cut some calories from the next few days. I've had fun:drinker: and still lost weight!
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    5-10, without food? I don't think it is worth it. Too much alcohol on an empty stomach & not a healthy habit. How about 3-7 & a little something in the tum tum?
  • notOpel
    notOpel Posts: 46
    Options
    I'd suggest you have food on your stomach, but for general health/safety reasons rather than cutting calories... Obviously, drinks affect us more on an empty stomach and I'm thinking their effects on our liver are probably amp up in that case too. Plus, I have a hard time believing that after 5 or 10 drinks your going to have the sense and willpower to resist a binge on that pizza! I guess the benefit of having an empty stomach when drinking would be that you'll theoretically need less alcohol to get your thing on....
    Really, my advice would be to have a "cheat day" where you eat sensibly and enjoy your drinks, guilt free. Then work extra hard for the follow days to burn off those empty cals.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Alcohol dehydrates your system, so when I drink, I drink the same amount of water... lets say i have 5 beers, at 16oz each, I would need to then drink 10cups of water just to make up for the alcohol, and not to mention the amount of water I have to drink on a daily basis.
    Also, alcohol changes how your body processes food after like 2drinks... So I dont eat while Ive been drinking. I eat before.

I also dont get any drink with energy drinks included (like jager bombs & tic tacs, etc), and dont order any drinks that include pop (Even diet), and dont have any sugar based alcohols--such as peach schnapps, triple sec, blue curacao, etc. So I have straight shots, light beers (budweiser 55 and mgd 64, or like a coors light or something like that if those arent available), and if i want a mixed drink i do a screwdriver, vodka cran, or whiskey cran... the cranberry juice that bars use as mixer isnt the best for you cuz its a higher sugar version, so i usually have the screwdriver at bars and if im at a house party have the vodka/whiskey cran where i can get a 100% juice cranberry juice.

Also, when you drink, save calories for it. Eat all day, just lower calorie meals---instead of nuts for a snack have carrots, and instead of a sandwich for lunch have a salad, etc etc etc...
  • axman19
    axman19 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Any when i say 5-10 I mean probably 3-5 maybe six, just wanted the answers.
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    If you save your calories...you won't need 5-10 drinks...trust me. I, too, like to have some drinks and hang out and socialize. People say all the time that it is bad for you but I'm not going to stop living. Here is what I do. I DO save my calories and then I don't need to drink as much. I am a vodka/soda drinker and I also make skinny margaritas at home. I have done research on alcohol (for my own benefit) and this is what I found in a medical journal. Consuming 1 alcoholic beverage (1 1/2 oz. 80 proof liquor, 5 oz wine, 12 oz beer) in 1 hour reduces your metabolism by around 50%. When you up it to 2 drinks in an hour, your metabolism is reduced by about 74%. And the more you drink...the more it reduces. The reason this is...alcohol is a toxin (poison) and your body recognizes this and does everything to get it out of your system so you don't die. The more alcohol you put into your body, the less your body will metabolize food and it will turn to the alcohol and metabolize that. I can't give you an answer to your specific question...I think it's kinda a personal choice...but I don't eat as much throughout the day if I know I'm going to be having more that a couple drinks in a day.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Remember that when you consume alcohol, it becomes the only thing burned by the body until it is out of the system. So, I'd suggest eating lighter earlier in the day so that you don't have a lot on the stomach that will just be stored as fat when it can't be burned immediately.
  • kerribrumley
    kerribrumley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would eat lightly and save some calories, and add a workout...but eat something high in protein like beef jerky or even cottage cheese so it soaks up the alcohol.
  • kandyland86
    kandyland86 Posts: 34
    Options
    go work out to bank 'EXTRA' calories to drink! your body needs fuel and alcohol is not fuel .... moslty my opinion but what i will be doing this weekend .... WOOHOOO MAY 24 .....
  • teresaq1
    teresaq1 Posts: 53
    Options
    If drinking rum, have it with diet coke and put half the shot twice the diet coke. Two drinks for the cost of one shot. Helps keep the number of drinks down. Also, one glass of water for each drink helps to move it through your system a little quicker.