LOL

Options
ChipChocolatePancake
ChipChocolatePancake Posts: 77 Member
edited May 2015 in Motivation and Support
So this is pure venting, and obviously I just need to take complete control and responsibility of my own food.

But, my dad always cooks for our family, historically VERY calorie dense meals, with few fruits and veggies. For most of my life I had no idea that his meals were so high in calories, but since using MFP I have become hyper aware of everything that I eat. He constantly tells me, "oh, stop being so dramatic! It only has 1/2 cup of sugar in the entire meal!" or "There's only a tablespoon of butter in this; you'll be fine!" Mostly I have chosen to trust his judgement. He is a smart guy. He has a PhD and is a scientist, so I figured he probably is pretty good at estimating volume. Still, most of the time I heavily supplement whatever he makes with veggies.

Last night he decided to make lasagna, with a side of bread and butter. I didn't have any veggies in the house, so I was worried about going over my calorie goal. I asked him if I could watch him make it and input the recipe to get the calories & nutrition. I turn away for a minute, and when I look back at the pan in which he is about to make the meat sauce, he has already poured out what looks to be at least 1/2 cup of olive oil. Of course I may have been overestimating, but I cook a lot too, and I ALWAYS measure, so my guess is probably pretty accurate.

So then I asked him " How much oil do you think you just put in that pan?"

"Oh, about a tablespoon."

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Men are notoriously under estimating. That's why we never think we look fat in the mirror.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    :D Denial - He probably knows exactly how much he put in.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Men are notoriously under estimating. That's why we never think we look fat in the mirror.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Hah!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Haha! This gave me a good laugh!
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Aren't we always accused of over-estimating the size of things? I mean... I'm not. But I heard other dudes are.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    5evoqb0fzmuv.jpg
    LOVE IT!!!
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    5evoqb0fzmuv.jpg

Hahaha soooo funny! And, at least in my case, often true!
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options
    Case in point: my neighbor came over yesterday to tell me how skinny she thought I looked, and even though I smiled and thanked her, in my head I was screaming "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!? I've looked in the mirror at LEAST 5 times today and my a** is still the size of a gazebo!"
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    :D Denial - He probably knows exactly how much he put in.

AGREED.
  • ClaudiaMessenger
    ClaudiaMessenger Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My parents are exactly the same! I unfortunately have to leave food each time they cook (usually a quarter or third of the meal). But I'm losing weight so it's worth the sacrifice!! X