Is there a way to count how many calories you burn strength-training?

Options
Is there? If I do squats or pushups, it doesn't give me any sort of calorie burnage. Is there any way to reliably record this?

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Add "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" to Cardiovascular to get estimated Calories Burned added to your Diary. Please note that the Calories burned for Cardiovascular exercises provided by MFP are based on published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs), which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual. If desired, add individual strength training exercises, such as "Biceps Curl," to Strength Training to have a log of sets, reps, and weights as individual exercises.

Please see these articles in the list of articles on this topic in the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455842-exercise-diary-and-exercise-database/articles

btl8652brnow.jpg
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Add "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" to Cardiovascular to get estimated Calories Burned added to your Diary. Please note that the Calories burned for Cardiovascular exercises provided by MFP are based on published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs), which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual. If desired, add individual strength training exercises, such as "Biceps Curl," to Strength Training to have a log of sets, reps, and weights as individual exercises.

Please see these articles in the list of articles on this topic in the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455842-exercise-diary-and-exercise-database/articles

btl8652brnow.jpg

Oh, awesome! Thank you so much!
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

btl8652brnow.jpg

Thank you!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

btl8652brnow.jpg

The issue is that those are not cardio activities and the numbers produced by inputting them as such are wrong.
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor programed with my age, weight and height. It tells me how many calories I have burned based on my heart rate and these parameters. It seems to be accurate. There are many types of activity trackers and HRMs out there. Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor programed with my age, weight and height. It tells me how many calories I have burned based on my heart rate and these parameters. It seems to be accurate. There are many types of activity trackers and HRMs out there. Good luck!

HRMs cannot accurately assess calories burned from lifting. The science isn't there for it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

The problem with heart rate monitors is they are designed for steady state cardio. They compare your resting heart rate against your heart rate while working out...and then use a formula (your age, height, weight).
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I added up all the calories I ate for 15 days. Then I added 3500 calories for every pound I lost during that time (about 2lbs, so I added 6000 to that figure). If you gain weight, subtract 3500 calories for every pound you gain.

Divide the total by the number of days tracked (15) and you have your TDEE which includes your workout activity.

Now subtract 500 calories from your daily TDEE and you have a decent daily calorie goal. You can now stop adding exercises (cardio & weight lifting) to myfitnesspal too. I found it did a terrible job of getting the calories right for activities anyway.

The only time I "eat back" exercise calories these days if I do something insane. Like walk for more than 10 miles during the day (along with a 2 hour weight lifting session in the morning). Basically, I eat more if my activity for the day abnormally large compared to normal.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I wear a hrm and log 50% of what it tells me I've burned during lifting. My hrm is pretty similar to mfp's figures. I log 75% of calories burned during circuits and 100% of steady state training like jogging or the elliptical. I'm loosing at a steady 1 or 2lbs a week even though I'm set to loose only 0.5lb so I'm doing something right