butternut squash fries

Options
jcl1981
jcl1981 Posts: 60 Member
Ingredients:
1/2 butternut squash
kosher salt

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Peel and de-seed your butternut squash. If you're unfamiliar with handling them, you may have a little trouble at first. They're fairly easy to peel, but you'll need a sharp knife to cut them. Once your orange friend is peeled and seed-free, slice it in half. Then cut it up into french fry shapes. We like to use a crinkle cutter to make authentic looking crinkle cut fries, but they'll work any way you slice 'em. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover lightly with kosher salt (regular salt works, too, but we prefer kosher). Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy. Serve with ketchup, or however else you enjoy fries or sweet potato fries!

Nutritional Info:

Serving Size: 5 oz., uncooked
Calories: 65
Fat: 0g
Sodium: 486mg (includes salt)
Carbs: 16.5g
Fiber: 3g
Sugar: 3g
Protein: 1g

This recipe is from Hungrygirl.com, and they taste just like potato fries, i think you guys will love them, and they only have 2 simple ingredients!

Replies

• Ekeras
    Ekeras Posts: 22
    Options
    Mmm... sounds great! Thanks for sharing! Definitely going to try it!
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Aps123
    Aps123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    sounds good!
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i made these after seeing it on hungry girl and although they were edible, they did not get crispy and, in spite of adding a mrs dash-type spice blend and paprika, were pretty bland. kind of a cross between sweet and regular potatoes in flavor. i still have 3/4 of a squash leftover, so i will be trying them again. i may have cut them too thin the first time.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Like chris0912, I could NOT get them crispy at all. And I tried a couple different times. I liked them, but they would have been so much better if they were crispy.
  • g_warne
    g_warne Posts: 28
    Options
    I made similar with a gray pumpkin and they were tasty. Here's what I found made the outside a bit more crispy so it wasn't just baked squash.... I put the oven on fan bake at reasonably high temperature (around 200-210 Celsius) I also cooked them for quite awhile. Essentially I found that fan bake helped remove some of that excess moisture and dry out the exterior more so that they were more fry like! Haven't tried it again to ensure it wasn't just a fluke, but they were absolutely delicious and guilt free!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    YUM!!!!
  • yestowellness
    yestowellness Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this tonight. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing.
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sabj
    sabj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am going to make the butternut squash fries today; I love squash this will be a new way to eat it.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hey that's a new one that I haven't heard of before! Worth a try for sure! Thanks. :smile:
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    this sounds so good .. i'm going to have to try it! thanks for sharing it