ever drink coffee to ward off eating?

Options
I started today with a great breakfast, and had a snack and then lunch. Its 3:30 and I'm STARVING. I know that I want to have room to have a satisfying dinner and I like a snack in the evening. So, I'm making coffee. I like it black, so no extra sugar or calories making it. Do you ever do this? I find that the bold coffee flavor can hold off the hunger for a little while.

Replies

• cdino
    cdino Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am doing it right now! Black with one packet of truvia.
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    All the time! i get up at 6am and dont eat lunch till noon so coffee till noon keeps me from snacking! and i often grab a coffee around 3 as well =]
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I don't but I bet it would work. Coffee is an appetite suppressant - at least for me.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I do this quite a bit, actually. Caffeine is an appetite suppressant and I put Splenda in it to get my sweet fix. I just make sure I don't have more than 2 cups a day.
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    Yes! I do it all the time actually :glasses:
  • 2chubby4now
    2chubby4now Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You bet I do!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yep me too every morning and sometimes in the evening it's a great appetite suppressant!
  • shells74
    shells74 Posts: 6
    Options
    You are dehydrated as well so drink water as it fills your stomach.
  • themitzman
    themitzman Posts: 5
    Options
    Caffeine is NOT a suppressant. Caffeine can cause your body to produce insulin and in turn drop your sugar = need to eat more. VERY BAD idea to use coffee for appetite control. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/HQ00369
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I actually JUST did this but with black tea. It's that TOM (oh joy) so I am naturally wanting to eat more and this helps prevent that. Now I am chewing gum!
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Was just brewing some now for the afternoon! It works wonders!
  • JBRENTLINGER
    JBRENTLINGER Posts: 160
    Options
    I have done it, but put pure cinnamon (1 teaspoon) in it instead of artificial sweeteners.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is NOT a suppressant. Caffeine can cause your body to produce insulin and in turn drop your sugar = need to eat more. VERY BAD idea to use coffee for appetite control. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/HQ00369

This article's first bullet point says that it's an appetite suppressant......

But I get what you mean!!
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have my coffee in the morning, but I do make tea in the afternoon a lot of the times. I've heard that a hot beverage will kill your hunger cravings. It works for me. Put one splenda in my tea.
  • Azzrielish
    Azzrielish Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not normally a coffee drinker but I have been having a cup of coffee (no milk, cream, sweetner, sugar) on days when my mid afternoon munchies are really bad and it does ward off the need to nibble.
  • themitzman
    themitzman Posts: 5
    Options

This article's first bullet point says that it's an appetite suppressant......

But I get what you mean!!

From the first bullet point:
    Appetite suppression. Caffeine may reduce your desire to eat for a brief time, but there's not enough evidence to show that long-term consumption aids weight loss.

It states that it MAY reduce the desire to eat but no. Other then that, NO.
  • formygood2011
    formygood2011 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! While I appreciate that article from Mayo...I don't drink coffee every afternoon. I imagine that if I stay within my calorie goal for the day and exercise a cup of coffee will be just fine, even if I use it to suppress my appetite. :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Coffee is my only real treat so absolutely, I do this. Mostly I have the afternoon cup to get me through the rest of my endless afternoons until quitting time.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't use it as an appetite suppresant so much as a "treat." With a teaspoon of regular creamer and a tiny splash of milk, my cup only has 21 calories and replaces any dessert I might have had after dinner. I get the flavored coffee beans sometimes to shake things up a bit--buttered rum is my favorite! :)
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It is a wonderful appetite supressant that I use every day, but its true that it can contribute to a drop in blood sugar, which is fine except you get the shakes, and thats no fun.
    An easy solution is to always keep a medium sized apple in your bag. An apple is very low in calories and also high in fiber
    and other nutrients. Plus its a natural sugar, so it'll spike you back up to feeling good again.