Sushi?

Options
hncary
hncary Posts: 176 Member
Sushi is one of my favorite foods, but I can never find nutritional information anywhere locally. I'm just wondering how others gauge their calories/macros when eating sushi. I know staying away from anything fried and with a lot of sauce is definitely going to help keep the count lower, but I really have no idea where to start when trying to track.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've looked up the rolls I get on MFP and gone with the higher estimates.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    some sushi chain restaurants publish nutritional information.

here's an example:

http://www.sushishop.com/themes/web/assets/files/nutritional-information-en.pdf

not all places will have the same numbers, but if you look at a few, it's a good starting place for estimating your sushi.

I had sushi once a week the whole time I was losing. You can totally fit it in to a weight loss plan. Enjoy!
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    OMG I love sushi! Must work into eating plan soon! As far as logging, if the place you go does not offer calorie count, get on here, find similar and best guess it!
  • 50LV115
    50LV115 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I break everything I eat down to its individual components and estimate in ounces the amount of rice, the amount of fish, the amount of seaweed, the amount of vinegar, the amount of avocado, etc.
    And I am lucky to have a wonderful sushi place nearby that will make any sushi order with brown rice.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know overall I'm just going to have to guess, but I definitely want to be as accurate as I can so I'm not unknowingly undoing any progress. I've been craving it like crazy so I think I may grab some this weekend. Thanks for all the tips
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    ChipChocolatePancake Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I felt kind of stressed about this too, because most of the sushi restaurants I go to aren't chains, and don't have nutritional info listed. I found an article via Pinterest that helps, though. It obviously can't account for variations between restaurants, but it tells you which kinds of sushi in general are lower in calories.

http://www.skinnymom.com/sushi-smackdown-the-best-and-worst-rolls/
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I can eat of TON of sushi! Love it! I've been ordering soup or seaweed salad first to curb my appetite. I believe a basic rainbow roll has 400 -500 calories.