MyFitnessPal and Anorexia?

Options
So in my struggle to lose weight I might have picked up an eating disorder... I find myself either going above my goal calorie intake or below. Sometimes I have to struggle to eat more than 800 calories a day, others I have to struggle to eat less than 1,500 (my goal is 1,200). Anyway, my eating is my problem and I plan to find a balance on my own. My question is this; Will any action be taken if make my diary public? Like, if someone saw my food diary and how little I was eating, could they report me and have my account deleted?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Having your account deleted or reported should be the last of your worries right now.
    You should be concerned with seeking treatment for your Ed.

• shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    They probably couldn't, because your diary is based on user input and you could only be logging some of your meals. However, that should not be your concern. I'd advise you to find a therapist and talk about your dietary issues with them. Additionally, you could forego logging your food and focus on eating healthier, more natural food. For some people who develop dangerous behaviors with calorie counting, this option is better. Either way, I would say you should seek professional help, because this is not something you want to let go on.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    monateru wrote: »
    So in my struggle to lose weight I might have picked up an eating disorder... I find myself either going above my goal calorie intake or below. Sometimes I have to struggle to eat more than 800 calories a day, others I have to struggle to eat less than 1,500 (my goal is 1,200). Anyway, my eating is my problem and I plan to find a balance on my own. My question is this; Will any action be taken if make my diary public? Like, if someone saw my food diary and how little I was eating, could they report me and have my account deleted?

If you truly believe you have an eating disorder you need to talk to your doctor about a referral for treatment. You cannot do this alone because eating disorders are serious business.

That said, you are trying to lose 20 pounds?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned about seeking professional help right now. Call your doctor.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    No. Unfortunately there are alot of anorexics on here but I won't share what they do on here. My advise is it is still early to get a handle on it before it goes full blown. Eat your cal goal every day and meal plan to achieve it. Make yourself eat it even if you struggle you will get used to it. I made this mistake too and underate alot in my beginning and it totally messed up my ability to lose anything for 6 months! So id say eat a minimum of 1200 a day!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There's not anything actually wrong with cycling calories like that, if you feel ok doing it. The human body is built for it. It's the average that matters - lots and lots of people move their intakes up and down.

Make sure that on a weekly basis you're getting what you need, and that its not messing with your head.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Big brother couldn't care less.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Big brother couldn't care less.

True!

I used to do intermittent fasting. 500 calories one day and my tdee the next, and repeat.

However I did not have a disorder, it was just another way to achieve a weekly deficit. I didn't let food or lack thereof rule my life. And if I didn't want to do the 500 calories on a certain day then I didn't.

The difference here is, I controlled my eating, It didn't control me.

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    They wouldn't know if you really ate that many calories or if you forgot to log in some food . . . Some days I only log in half of what I eat.

Please find an expert to guide you, as eating disorders can ruin your life.
  • mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you really think you have an eating disorder, then you should talk to your doctor.

But it's not abnormal to eat more or less than your goal. If we had a handle on our eating habits, we wouldn't be trying to lose weight now. Struggling some days to stay at or below your goal is totally normal. Sometimes not feeling very hungry is totally normal. Unless you're binging every day or become malnourished from not eating enough...then it's probably not a big deal. Most of us just care about how it averages out. We know we're not going to be exactly on our goal consistently.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A) eating disorders are a mental disorder. We use food to control our emotions, and starvation/purging/cutting as punishment. It sounds like you just really want to lose weight quickly (which is worded the same, but completely different from an ED.)

B ) you have disordered eating, not an eating disorder.

C) go see a shrink to escape the self diagnosis.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor
  • Ame_ly
    Ame_ly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First of all, eating disorders aren't something you self diagnose. Just because you're eating is really bad doesn't mean you have an eating disorder.

Second, no one could do anything about your food diary. People don't always log everything for different reasons.
  • Annapululu
    Annapululu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    A) eating disorders are a mental disorder. We use food to control our emotions, and starvation/purging/cutting as punishment. It sounds like you just really want to lose weight quickly (which is worded the same, but completely different from an ED.)

B ) you have disordered eating, not an eating disorder.

C) go see a shrink to escape the self diagnosis.

^Agreed