Nutritional Information for Frozen Chicken Breast

Options
I bought a bag of frozen chicken breasts and the nutritional information says it's 110 calories for 4 ounces. Does anyone know if this means 4 ounces frozen or when thawed or even when cooked?
It doesn't specify anywhere on the bag that the calories printed are for when the chicken is frozen.

Any advice is appreciated! :]

Replies

• annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    thawed; i dont think its much different if its cooked or uncooked. maybe? But a potaote can be 5.5ounces uncooked and 4oz baked but be the same calories..
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Thawed, uncooked.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's up to you it will weigh less once it's cooked and the water cooks off of it. I usually just weigh mine uncooked though.
  • Madjohnbonny
    Options
    Meat is usually weighed uncooked.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it means before cooking.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Yes, always uncooked.
    And thawed.
    051685 Posts: 21
    Options
    I was baffled by this, too! After looking around a ton of places online I believe it's safe to assume those are the calories per ounce when it's thawed.

I also found a place that said that a ounce of COOKED chicken breast is about 55 calories - but of course, how much moisture is cooked out of the chicken will make a big difference, so I've come to think it's best to weigh when thawed, based on what the packaging says the calories are per ounce.

ALSO: the calories per ounce can vary by brand as well because some chicken is "enhanced" with broth that would make it heavier but also have less calories per ounce that way.
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thawed, uncooked.

yep. chicken will weigh more frozen and less after cooking. the nutritional info is for thawed uncooked. if your unsure, you can always use the nutritional info for cooked chicken instead (as long as it's just plain chicken breast) check out this website.... http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

However...... i was trying to figure out with other frozen items...such as frozen french fries, frozen veggies, frozen fruits, etc. The conclusion I have come to is that the nutritional info for most frozen foods is 'as packaged' I actually made a call to the company on one of them!
  • pennybeau
    pennybeau Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for all of the quick and helpful responses!