i hate my scales

Options
LYL353
LYL353 Posts: 41 Member
I've been on my A-game for 17 days. The scales will not cooperate with me. I hate them. Anyone else want to sledge hammer their scales but have also formed a serious dependency on them?
Ahhhhhh.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try a tape measure, they're much nicer!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    LYL353 wrote: »
    I've been on my A-game for 17 days. The scales will not cooperate with me. I hate them. Anyone else want to sledge hammer their scales but have also formed a serious dependency on them?
    Ahhhhhh.

Take measurements and pay attention to how your clothes fit, as they are the biggest tellers of all.

If you don't want to use a scale, you don't have to.

I had a friend years ago whose weight fluctuated. At a time when she'd lost quite a bit of weight and looked slim and healthy, she told me she had no idea how much she weighed because the numbers don't count. Even when she went to the doctor, they'd take her weight, she'd cover her eyes, and she told them not to tell her weight. I learned a lot from that friend.
  • LYL353
    Options
    Oh yeah, good idea. :) that's a scary initial thought though. Hahaha.

I will admit though...that number on the scale means a lot to me. Probably too much.
  • SJHawkeye
    SJHawkeye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do not judge yourself by the number on the scale! By 'A' game do you mean eating? Eating and exercise? or just exercising? As a female it takes as many as 8 weeks for us to see a change in our metabolism when we change our eating habits. Most see the change sooner...maybe 4-5 weeks, but just over 2 weeks...that's nothing. My scale can fluctuate 5 pounds in 1 day depending on what I eat. Measure your arm, thigh, waist, chest, and hips. Then be on your 'A' game for 5 weeks before you check those measurements again. What is your ultimate goal? Drop weight, drop body fat, gain muscle mass? How often do you eat? What are you eating? How often do you exercise?
    Also Is your Aunt Flow visiting? I will gain upwards of 10 pounds when she comes to visit. Everybody is different. Stick with your nutrition and exercise program. Give it a solid 10 weeks!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhh.

They hate you too. Scales don't lie.
  • LYL353
    Options
    A game I mean diet...measuring,logging,water etc. (no serious additional exercise yet) I just think it's only fair that I be at goal by now... I mean I passed up a Snickers - that should qualify as an immediate 5 pound loss, right? (of course I know better)
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Are you a mermaid?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Patience. If you keep doing all the right stuff, the scale will show it eventually.
  • bestintheworld842
    bestintheworld842 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    scales are bullies, at the end of the day keep working hard and put in your best effort, at the end you will know you look good. I didn't honestly start using a scale until very recently so remember your effort and ur work ethic is what counts not an effin number.
  • suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I feel the same!!! Been exercising, logging fir 15 days and stupid scale wont budge
  • APeacefulWarrior
    APeacefulWarrior Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've read that our bodies fight weight loss and try to offset it with water retention initially ...You'll probably experience a big drop in a couple days and then you'll love your scale again. :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I just use my mirror.

Numbers don't matter.

How I look and how I feel is what is important, not some random, arbitrary number, right?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Not really, no.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Seriously pick up the scales, lock in the cupboard (or shallow grave) and back away.

Don't get obsessed with a scale number, tape measures, fit of clothes, the jump and jiggle test, are all much better.
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Take measurements, see how clothing fits, and take pictures. If the scale bothers you, then make a point to use it as little as possible (if at all).
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just use my mirror.

Numbers don't matter.

How I look and how I feel is what is important, not some random, arbitrary number, right?

This...I'm starting to see more cuts in my abs, my husband is chasing me around the house more, and my pants fit better so I really don't care what the scale says. I'm also close to my goal,short, and strength train 5-6 days a week so I know the scale will not cooperate with me.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I just use my mirror.

Numbers don't matter.

I get what you're saying, but scale weight is certainly not random or arbitrary.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    bwah hahaha. I know what you mean! It will have to budge eventually, but the wait seems very long, doesn't it?
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhh.
    Use a scale, and measure other things as well. It's like trying to navigate ship with only a pair of binoculars. You're going to need many other measurements to accurately navigate your way to the goal. Your body has many dynamics happening, and measuring improved health would mean measuring things like: body measurements, blood tests, blood pressure, sleep quality, quantity and type of exercise, accurate food logging, water intake, etc etc etc etc.....start tracking whatever you can!

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    I just use my mirror.

Numbers don't matter.

I get what you're saying, but scale weight is certainly not random or arbitrary.

Goal weight is, and obsession over it is madness.

I see folks here with a (*random* and very *arbitrary*) goal of, say, 115 ... freak out and lose it when the scale says 122.

Hating the scale due to (random and arbitrary) daily fluctuation is same-same: madness.

Q.E.D.