Mystery dosage for some nutrients

The nutrition section gives measurements for most nutrients - for example, it says that I need 21g of fiber per day and tells me how many grams I've consumed. This is helpful.
BUT - when it comes to vitamins and some other nutrients, I'm in the dark. It says I routinely consume about 300% of Vitamin A, for example. But what does that mean? How many micrograms is 100%, and how many micrograms have I consumed? Same issue for calcium and iron.
Is there a section I can log into that I'm missing?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Eating a good amount of fiber means that you are eating veggies and some fruits. Those will contain Vit A, calcium, and other micronutrients. 300% means that you are getting enough. Stay focused on the big picture: eat to your deficit, eat your protein, eat fat, and do not worry much about the carbs. Exercise.
    Read this and other threads in the Getting Started section:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • dorissport
    dorissport Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the kind and knowledgeable answer. I don't think my question was clear enough, though: My concern is that I may be getting too much vitamin A and not enough iron, so I was hoping to learn how much I am consuming. (I'm having a problem with hair loss, and my doctor cautioned me that these things might contribute.) While Fitness Pal is programmed to focus on weight, that's not my real concern; I'm mainly trying to make sure I'm getting the nutrition I need after having gone vegan.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    The % figure is a % of RDA the recommended daily allowance. However MFP is not an accurate way to monitor Vitamins or micro nutrients. In most countries these Vitamins and Iron Potassium are not a legal requirement on food labeling. Also even if they are they are frequently recorded in different ways. As the majority of entries into the database are user generated you will find a lot if not the majority do not record these nutrients.

If you have concerns about your vitamin intake I suggest talking to your doctor. I really wouldn't use MFPs figures they will be wildly inaccurate.

As a 20 year plus vegan as long as you aim for a variety of foods you should have no problem getting sufficient nutrition. In fact less problem than a lot of carnivores. The only thing that is not readily available via a Vegan diet is Vitamin B12 which I would advise taking a supplement for.

You may find this resource useful

http://www.vegansociety.com/resources/nutrition-health
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    The % figure is a % of RDA the recommended daily allowance. However MFP is not an accurate way to monitor Vitamins or micro nutrients. In most countries these Vitamins and Iron Potassium are not a legal requirement on food labeling. Also even if they are they are frequently recorded in different ways. As the majority of entries into the database are user generated you will find a lot if not the majority do not record these nutrients.

If you have concerns about your vitamin intake I suggest talking to your doctor. I really wouldn't use MFPs figures they will be wildly inaccurate.

As a 20 year plus vegan as long as you aim for a variety of foods you should have no problem getting sufficient nutrition. In fact less problem than a lot of carnivores. The only thing that is not readily available via a Vegan diet is Vitamin B12 which I would advise taking a supplement for.

You may find this resource useful

http://www.vegansociety.com/resources/nutrition-health

And you were going along so well, until your vegan switch turned on.
  • dorissport
    dorissport Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the advice and the link, Muppet Wrangler - I think I was expecting too much from MFP. I'm going to try a few of the recipes on the website - they look good!