limited food options

Options
What can I do to switch up my meals if there's not much to eat other then noodles and canned veggies and some rice. And ideas of what I can do to spice it up abit. That's what I have till the 8th when I get food stamps.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Is that literally all you have? (I'm creative, but not a magician....)
  • kimmaltsev
    kimmaltsev Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what I have to go on. I did say limited options
  • titania_one
    titania_one Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Spices, different oils? I sometimes like to kind of stir fry ramen noodles in spicy szechuan sauce. Also if you have something like cream of mushroom soup (generic is really cheap at target) and a little shredded cheese and an onion you could try some kind of oven-baked dish with the noodles and veggies. Maybe Google some ideas like for college students on a tight budget, etc.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    kimmaltsev wrote: »
    What can I do to switch up my meals if there's not much to eat other then noodles and canned veggies and some rice. And ideas of what I can do to spice it up abit. That's what I have till the 8th when I get food stamps.

Look into food banks, google resources in your community for families in need? See if there are relatives or friends who could help? Go carefully over your budget and make sure you have eliminated absolutely all expenses but the most basic ones, so you can save money for food?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    No herbs or spices? Meat? Eggs?
    What do "canned vegetables" consist of?

Fried rice with vegies. Could you blend the vegies to make soup and add noodles?
  • mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Do you have chicken broth or bouillon cubes or those little chicken flavor packets from ramen noodles? If so you can add that to some vegetables and noodles to make a chicken flavored chunky soup.

Do you have tomato sauce and either beef broth/bouillon cubes/flavor packets? If so you can add that to vegetables to make a vegetable beef soup without the actual beef.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What vegetables? Any spices? Anything else in your kitchen?

budgetbytes.com
    supercook.com
  • kimmaltsev
    Options
    Mostly corn green beans peas carrots I have very little spices ran out of meat yesterday for dinner. I don't want to go out to eat cause there mostly all fast foods places.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Mostly corn green beans peas carrots I have very little spices ran out of meat yesterday for dinner. I don't want to go out to eat cause there mostly all fast foods places.
    I am confused. So , you cannot afford to buy more food, but you can afford to eat out? Why not use the money to go grab a few fruit, or vegetables or milk or whatever?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

If going out to eat is an option, doesn't that mean you have money... That you could spend on food?
  • kimmaltsev
    Options
    I don't go out to eat. I only go out once a month. Cus since I'm only on food stamps at the moment I have lost my job two weeks ago that usually helps buy food.it was only part time but didn't get much hours
  • kimmaltsev
    Options
    And I only have 1.30 left from my last pay check
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Peas + rice + carrots split up over a few days wouldn't be bad. Just mix and match veggies + pasta or rice, basically, is all the advice I have. Look into a local food bank or church that offers free food, too, because even the stuff they have--like mac and cheese--you can make fit into your calories and split up over a few days to add variety. Hang in there <3
  • mch2829
    edited May 2015
    Options
    And I only have 1.30 left from my last pay check

What kind of noodles do you have? If you have spaghetti noodles, I'd go get a $1 can of Hunt's spaghetti sauce and make meatless spaghetti. That would be 4 meals. Or get tomato sauce and mix that with elbow macaroni.

Or with 1 dollar you can get some ramen noodles if you don't have any. Yeah it has a lot of sodium, but you need to eat. And those flavor packets would give your vegetables more flavor.

If you need something to make a few dollars until you can get another job, then try mturk. You might only make 10-20/day at first, but after you get used to it and get some qualifications, you can easily make 50-100/day. You do need a bank account to do it. And you have to wait a few days or a week or something before you can start after you sign up. I did that for a while after I finished college, before I found a job. I averaged about 400/week after the first month or so.
  • kimmaltsev
    Options
    What's mturk
  • mch2829
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What's mturk

www.mturk.com

It's a platform developed by Amazon. You can perform tasks, type transcriptions, fill out research surveys etc for money. Some tasks pay better than others. Some take longer than others. You'll have to learn which jobs to do and which to avoid. It takes a month or so to learn how to make the most money. Right now there are about half a million tasks available. They range in pay from 1 penny to 100+ dollars. Some of the low paying tasks may only take a few seconds. The higher paying ones may take a couple hours. Just depends.

I did it for about a year and made about $25,000. Not amazing money, but more than you'd make at a minimum wage job.
  • MissBlunts420
    MissBlunts420 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I second using MTurk. I stumbled upon it last year after my husband lost his job. It was our sole income for three months, and definitely kept my family and I from becoming homeless. There are even a few different forums that can help you learn the ropes. Just google it and you'll find a lot of helpful resources.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I live on a budget and do tend to eat similar things every day but I change up the protein sauce or the type of veggies or the sauces to make it interesting. I have noodles but one day it will be chicken with soy sauce, another will be fish with Singapore noodle sauce. I have porridge for breakfast but I'll flavour it differently every day - red berries one day, honey the next.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Peas and carrots with pasta -- that will work
    Or corn and rice with a little butter or salad dressing.