Joint Pains/Gluten-free Diet

Options
For the past few months I've been suffering from joint pains. I ignored it until recently when I had a hard time walking and my right knee became swollen. There was fluid in my knee and I had to get it drained out. Monday I will be getting an MRI. FYI I'm 28 years old, average weight and active. This is an overwhelming and depressing feeling, but I've been doing research on how to eat better and what excercises will be good for me. Ive read that gluten is one of the causes for joint pains and I want to eliminate it out of diet. Im actually eliminating it as of today. It's going to be very hard because everything has gluten in it! I also wanted to get into Pilates and do more of yoga Once I find out my test results.

Anyone out there with the same problem? Any tips? Thank you!

Replies

• cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you can get yourself tested for gluten intolerance or other allergies, that might help you make the best decision. You could have another medical issue that is not related to foods. Maybe get a general checkup also. But there's no harm in going g-free for a while & see how you feel. I've noticed that eating healthier in general has really helped my mood & exercise has helped my joint pain. Maybe just a healthier lifestyle all around will help you.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Gluten is one of the causes of joint pain because your body may see it as a foreign particle and respond with inflammation. Other possibly inflammatory foods are gmo corn, casein (in milk), FODMAP foods ( beans, brassicas, etc...), and vegetable oils (soybean, corn, cottonseed). Paleo is a good template to base a gluten free eating plan on. There are books to help with doing elimination diets to figure out what your sensitivities are. The book 'Practical Paleo' walks you through the process of an elimination diet and it is also full of delicious recipes that are all gluten free. I hope eliminating gluten helps you. Keep us posted.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I had to drop both gluten and dairy to get my joint pain under control but I have an autoimmune condition that makes me sensitive to them both
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    p.s. i've been off both for several years so feel free to bug me for info if you have any questions
  • BethClicks
    BethClicks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was experiencing debilitating neck, shoulder, and lower back pain, swollen ankles and hands. I snored when I slept and woke up every morning with a headache. I tried chiropractic adjustment, acupuncture, massage, medication, and went for an MRI to look for the source. Other than the fact that I was obese, there was no reason for my issues. My inflammation was blamed on my obesity and lack of exercise and I was sent home with meds and prescribed physical therapy for my back. I was referred to a sleep study because my neck was fat and so therefore it must naturally be sleep apnea.
    Never ONCE did anyone mention a food allergy or sensitivity, or refer me to testing for that.
    Last August, my husband and I cut out gluten, (actually most grains)and all dairy except for cheese, and most processed foods. His co-workers were raving about the benefits so we tried, what's the worst that could happen?
    Two weeks later, I was snore free, pain free, inflammation free, and feeling amazing for the first time in over a decade.
    The results have persisted since then and I've also lost 30lbs. Better and better.
    Now, I have not had allergy testing, so I cannot say for certain that I was allergic/sensitve to any of those things, but the result was persuasive enough to justify my telling you to go ahead and cut them out for 2 weeks, see what happens. It may be amazing, if not you didn't really lose anything :)
  • JojoBeales74
    JojoBeales74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis and was about to start taking chemo drugs and was taking lots of pain relief I cut out gluten and sugar after two weeks I had lost 10 pounds and stopped taking pain killers. Three month later I ate very small amounts of gluten for 5 days, nearly 7 pounds and back on painkillers.
    It's worth a try!
  • PlaneJaneHousewife
    PlaneJaneHousewife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's worth getting your Vitamin D level checked if you haven't. It's one they might skip on routine bloodwork, so you have to ask for it.

I had a weird hip pain since I was a teenager that disappeared as a result of treating my vit d deficiency. I also had a pop in my shoulder that I've had my entire life disappear.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism (autoimmune), after a whole lot of tests, elimination duets etc I found gluten aggravates my joint pain and I will get inflamed joints. Btw, the tests didn't show conclusively that I had gluten issues, just that I didn't have coeliac disease, it was elimination, reintroduction, elimination etc that confirmed it. This is common with hypothyroidism, particularly autoimmune.

Apparently turmeric and ginger help with inflammation, I think it does but it might be psychological :D I also take am NSAID if it's bad (eg ibuprofen). I have a topical cream too from the docs.

Side note: I also have to make sure I keep up on my vit. D. In general I also need iron and to be free of larger quantities of soy (eg soy milk) but that's for energy rather than joints.
  • MrKbailey
    MrKbailey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm about a 99% gluten free diet. I had many issues before this diet; like allergies, digestive issues, and joints issues...now they are gone :)
  • annanavis
    annanavis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Can't relate on the joint pain (though I certainly hope you find relief soon) -- but, I've been 100% gluten free for 10+ years. Add me if you have any questions about GF - I've been doing it since before there were dedicated manufacturers, specific cookbooks, all that jazz. When I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, my doctor gave me 2 photocopied pages out of his medical textbook. So we've come a long way!

I'd love to be able to answer any questions about products, ingredients, cooking, recommendations, anything.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    For the past few months I've been suffering from joint pains. I ignored it until recently when I had a hard time walking and my right knee became swollen. There was fluid in my knee and I had to get it drained out. Monday I will be getting an MRI. FYI I'm 28 years old, average weight and active. This is an overwhelming and depressing feeling, but I've been doing research on how to eat better and what excercises will be good for me. Ive read that gluten is one of the causes for joint pains and I want to eliminate it out of diet. Im actually eliminating it as of today. It's going to be very hard because everything has gluten in it! I also wanted to get into Pilates and do more of yoga Once I find out my test results.

Anyone out there with the same problem? Any tips? Thank you!

Gluten free is the new "thing". Google it for a few hours and you will be convinced it cures everything. Gluten free and coconut oil ;) Not saying it could not be that you do indeed have a problem caused by gluten, but it is more probable it is somethign completely irrelevant. So wait for your dr's diagnosis and do not drive yourself crazy. There are a million things that could be causing this, and you cannot follow a million different treatment plans just in case.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Be sure to get tested for celiac disease if you think you have it, rather than guessing that's the actual problem. The internet is full of baloney. Please trust your doctor more than anyone you talk to online or any web site you read.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    For people with true gluten problems, it can definitely cause joint problems. Interestingly, NOT having joint involvement delayed my celiac diagnosis for a few years. It was ruled out on the basis of not having any joint pain, so I wasn't tested for it. I got to the point of really bad malabsorption (passing food undigested) and losing weight quite rapidly before it was diagnosed.

I will mention that in spite of being gluten free for almost 18 years, I still developed psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia/CFS, chronic systemic migraine disease, a benign brain tumor, scoliosis, and degenerative disc disease. I also have had Hashimoto's disease all along.

Giving up gluten is not necessarily a cure-all unless it's the direct cause of your symptoms.