How to Increase Protein Intake????

Options
Soooo.....Ive been doing P90X for a little over a week. Which it's an awesome program. Already seeing physical results. BUT..... I need to be eating at least 300 grams of protein while staying under 2400 calories. Which I've been trying to stay under 2000 calories but I started feeling weak or drained. Any way. Can some one please tell me a secret protein packed food or something. I'm tired of protein shakes through out the day. Thanks

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Why on earth are you eating 300g of protein per day? :open_mouth:
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love P90X!

That's a lot of protein, where did 300g come from?

Best low fat, high protein food is egg whites. You can buy them in cartons on their own and use them with whole eggs to make scrambled eggs or omelets. You can also eat:
    - Chicken
    - Fish
    - Non-fat cottage cheese
    - Beans and pulses
    All are low in calories and high in protein
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is way more protein than you need.
    In order to fit food into your calorie goals for the day, cut out a bunch of carbs (rice, bread, . . ). Keep the green leafy veggies because they are low carb.
  • jlabraccio
    jlabraccio Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If any of you have the P90X system. Or know some one who does. The nutritional guide says take your RMR and multiple by20% then add 600 calories. It says I need to eat 3000 calories a day. I know thats ALOT so I dropped it to level 2. Which is 2400 calories. Im in the fat shredder stage. it wanted me to eat 375 grams of protein. 225 grams of carbs. 67 grams of fat. INSTEAD...... I'm doing 300 grams of protein 180 grams of carbs. 53 grams of fat.I'm just going by the book. But it's working. My vein in my biceps are starting to show and my triceps and cutting. (I have a gut) But my chest and arms are lean.
  • jlabraccio
    Options
    20 pounds away from 5'10 190! Ive lost 10 lbs in lest than 2 weeks
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    jlabraccio wrote: »
    If any of you have the P90X system. Or know some one who does. The nutritional guide says take your RMR and multiple by20% then add 600 calories. It says I need to eat 3000 calories a day. I know thats ALOT so I dropped it to level 2. Which is 2400 calories. Im in the fat shredder stage. it wanted me to eat 375 grams of protein. 225 grams of carbs. 67 grams of fat. INSTEAD...... I'm doing 300 grams of protein 180 grams of carbs. 53 grams of fat.I'm just going by the book. But it's working. My vein in my biceps are starting to show and my triceps and cutting. (I have a gut) But my chest and arms are lean.

Your protein should be based on body weight or lean body mass.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I dunno, even old Lyle tops out at 1.5x LBM for Cat 1 hardcores...300g sounds like pretty serious overkill.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    jlabraccio wrote: »

Everyone on the thread is saying that the numbers are coming out wrong.
    Calculate based on your Lean Body Mass.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142021401
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Anyway, once you figure out a realistic protein goal...meat at least twice a day, quest bars, greek yogurt, and cottage cheese work for me.
  • louindared
    louindared Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, If you cook there is a recipe called "Oopsie roll", it is basically - eggs, egg whites & low fat soft cream cheese. You can make it into rolls, a roulade, topping on a high protein pie or it even makes ok toad in the hole. You can make it sweet or savoury & it doesn't taste eggy at all. Search the web for the recipe or I can send you it. I use it most days instead of bread or pastry ;)
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I agree with the thread here. What do you weigh? I'm 224lds and my protien intake is 260 and o weight train most days. I know p90x is intense, but that seems a hell of a lot
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Why on earth are you eating 300g of protein per day? :open_mouth:

This
  • jlabraccio
    Options
    Thanks every one for the much needed advice. And I will definitely lower my protein intake. With out the protein shakes I was eating about 150-200 grams of protein. Maybe I'll just stick there for now. Again Im new to this. I just want to get healthy. Louindared I would like the recipe if you dont mind. Ive tried several things lately that I was surprised that actually tasted really good.
  • jlabraccio
    Options
    Ps. Two of my co workers who are big. 20" bicep type of dudes lol. Both said something about egg muffins in the morning, and to drink shakes through out the day .Also, lots of chicken and fish. And something about Amino acids. But they also said they get to eat lots of carbs. So what I'm saying now is. What they recommend and what P90X suggested was just to look like The Rock. I just want to keep up with my oldest daughter.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You need to work out what your TDEE is (total daily energy expenditure). Then work out from there what your macros should be. So I need 3100 calories for the level of activities I carry out, I reduce by 500 calories for fat loss and increase by 500 for weight gain. The most common % seems to be 40 40 20 pro carb fat.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    You are doing great to be thinking so sweetly about your daughter. <3
    You might like some "Baked Eggs" recipes. They are relatively easy to make the night before. Heat up in the morning, add some hot sauce, and you are good to go.
  • SpiderwebNebula
    SpiderwebNebula Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    300g is too much... A healthy amount would be 1g-1.2g/lb of body weight.
    Remember: Excess protein also gets stored as fat..
  • ShapingTheLaw
    ShapingTheLaw Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I keep exceeding my fat intake goal every time I increase my protein I take. I drink at least one daily protein shake. I don't like egg whites but I like the protein shskes. Lately, though, I've had a few days of success when I double the protein scoop for my one time shake and I pour a 1/2 or full scoop on my Cheerios for breakfast which I eat with UNSWEETENED almond milk.